Some more info re latex/MF and Brooklyn Bedding

Hello!
Thank you for the massive information here! It is not as simple to educate yourself on mattress online as I hoped for.
We are looking to purchase a King size bed to replace our 7 years old queen.
I’m 5.11" about 160lb and my wife is 120lb 5ft 4".
She likes her mattress “soft” and- “hotel like” as she puts it.
I usually prefer firm, but do not complain on a good softer one.
I sleep all over: side, back, stomach. She is a side sleeper and back sleeper as well…

We are in NYC, but will be relocating for work few months to Israel (yes…).

We thought that we should try the memory foam a try and “indulge” ourselves with a good quality one, however we do not want to invest more than $1200 (and i\even this one is a stretch…).
We want a mattress that will last at least several years (7??) but won;t be sorry if we can keep it for more.
Doing some math we just came to the conclusion that it won’t be smart to buy an “expensive” around $1200 mattress in order to replace it in 5-6 years. It might be more beneficial to buy a cheaper one (around the $600-$700) and then replace it.

Having said all that now we can go to the most important part:
I was looking at several options in stores and online.
We went to Sleepys and tried the TEMPUR-Cloud Supreme Breeze, TEMPUR-Weightless Supreme and A\another Sleeping Beauty Gabrielle (that I can’t find online). My wife really liked the last one.

When I started reading about matrresses I eliminated the Costco/Wal-Mart ones, as well as the Bed in a box and Novosbed.

Your recommendations lead me to DreamFoam Bedding on Amazon.
Initially I was looking only at the Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory Foam Mattress but then I noticed the Eurotop one and lastly the latex one here.

Eventually, my questions:

1. I now think that the additional $$ for the Eurotop is not for us and that the Ultra Plush will most probably be more than all right for us. Am I rights?
  2. Now, I’m trying to understnad the difference between the latex and the MF, and I know you will say this is apples to oranges, but still- shouldn’t a latex mattress be more expensive then a MF?
    I saw this but no more about these two. . Will appreciate any assistance on the difference, pros and cons of these two.
  3. In terms of longevity- which one?
  4. I don’t want to come as rude, but I will be direct nevertheless: I couldn’t find any reviews/ company information or recommendations for Brooklyn Bedding anywhere on the internet except this site. How come?
  5. General question- how one can check and make sure that the mattress received is true to its specs?
  6. is Brooklyn Bedding 13" MF CertiPUR certified?

I am sorry for the long post… :frowning: I didn’t even know that I have so many questions before I started writing :slight_smile:
Thanks for any guidance!

I’m only going to address this particular question. I’ve purchased and currently own (and love) my Brooklyn Bedding mattress. It’s going on 7 months with no divot so that’s much better than my past mattress experience with a Simmons Beauty Rest. Anyways, this mattress is sold on Amazon under Dreamfoam Bedding and you can find LOADS of "Amazon Verified Purchase"s with reviews there. My own review is on Amazon along with this site.

I think Phoenix is updating the members list on this site to include Dreamfoam Bedding under the Brooklyn Bedding label since it’s the same company. I hope this helps a little :slight_smile:

ETA: Also, you can find reviews at sleeplikethedead.com but their information looks a bit out of date for some things.

Hi PhilP,

[quote]Having said all that now we can go to the most important part:
I was looking at several options in stores and online.
We went to Sleepys and tried the TEMPUR-Cloud Supreme Breeze, TEMPUR-Weightless Supreme and A\another Sleeping Beauty Gabrielle (that I can’t find online). My wife really liked the last one.

When I started reading about matrresses I eliminated the Costco/Wal-Mart ones, as well as the Bed in a box and Novosbed.[/quote]

Post #1 here and the information it links to may help with the steps that can help you find the “best” mattress for you. It will help save you the time spent in even looking at major brands or any mattresses that don’t identify the layers inside them as well. While Novosbed may not be the best choice among all the ones available to you (they are more about marketing than “mattress people”) … at least they do identify the layers inside their mattresses and “meet” the criteria I use for memory foam mattresses.

You can read about the benefits of the Eurotop compared to their Ultra Plush in post #2 here. It would depend in other words on whether the extra benefits and lowered “risk” were worth the extra price to you.

[quote]2. Now, I’m trying to understnad the difference between the latex and the MF, and I know you will say this is apples to oranges, but still- shouldn’t a latex mattress be more expensive then a MF?
I saw this but no more about these two. . Will appreciate any assistance on the difference, pros and cons of these two.[/quote]

The price of a mattress will depend on the manufacturer that makes it as well as the cost of all the materials in the mattress itself not just on a specific layer. For example while 3" of memory foam may be less in most cases than 3" of latex … this is only one of the layers and components in a mattress.

You can read about the pros and cons of latex here and the pros and cons of memory foam here. Keep in mind as well that this is only about the materials themselves and not about the suitability of any of the thousands of mattresses that use different versions or layer combinations of each type of material may be for any particular person. In the end … the choice of material is about preference and each material has higher and lower quality versions.

This would depend on whether you were talking about the durability of a mattress or of a specific layer. There are many factors that are part of the durability of a mattress or even a layer itself (see post #2 here) but all other things being equal and not counting that some higher quality versions of memory foam may be more durable than some versions of latex and that there is some overlap between different types of each material … latex as a category would be more durable.

1. I don’t want to come as rude, but I will be direct nevertheless: I couldn’t find any reviews/ company information or recommendations for Brooklyn Bedding anywhere on the internet except this site. How come?

I don’t know why this may be “rude” at all or even that “direct” … it’s just a question IMO. I have no way to explain why any particular mattress may have a certain number of reviews or where they are but as Coventry mentioned (thanks Coventry :)) there are many reviews of their mattress on this forum (Search Ultimate Dreams) and on Amazon as well as elsewhere (a google search on Ultimate Dreams latex will bring up some others as well). Even more important, they are transparent about the materials they use and when you know the specific layers of a mattress it’s much accurate to assess its quality and value than any review (you can see my thoughts about the limitations of reviews here). Brooklyn Bedding itself is not the “trade name” that they use but they also used to sell mattresses from their latexmattressshop site here and they also own R&S Mattress.

You could take the mattress apart to see the materials inside (as long as you knew what latex or polyfoam looked like) or you could remove a specific layer to weigh it (to check for density) or you could even have a material analyzed by a lab depending on the degree of verification you were looking for. There are also pictures on the forum of the latex they sell but I guess there comes a point where you would have to trust something or someone about the accuracy of the information you are getting.

They themselves (as a mattress manufacturer) are not no but the polyfoam and memory foam they use is made by an American foam producer that is CertiPur certified yes. No latex is CertiPur certified but they do use latex made by Latex International which is Oeko-Tex certified. NOTE: they are now CertiPur certified as a manufacturer.

ADMIN NOTE: *Removed 404 link|Archived Footprint: certipur.us/pages/for-consumers/find-products/

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

A quick point of clarification: we are a mattress company that “markets”, not a marketing company that sells mattresses.

Novosbed was founded because the mattress industry is full of liars, fine print, crappy products, outrageous margins, and people deserve better. We design and manufacture our own mattresses, and obsess over every detail. We are constantly working to improve our products and our company to make Novosbed the fairest, most transparent and trustworthy mattress company in the world.

Warmest regards,

Sam
Co-founder, Novosbed