Some Questions about Pranasleep Samadhi Super Cush

Hi–Thanks to everyone for your invaluable help in my mattress search. This is the first time I have posted a question, but I’ve relied on the site in helping me choose a mattress.

I’ve had a latex mattress for about eleven years (Therepedic with pillowtop). I have some lower back issues and that latex mattress was the most comfortable bed I’d owned in my adult life! As I purchased it two moves and one city ago, I can’t find any more details about it.

In searching through the stores in the Boston area that you’ve recommended, the most comfortable latex mattress I’ve found is in the Pranasleep line at Jordan’s. More than I wanted to spend and not my favorite store, but . . .

My Physical Therapist recommended that I not get a super-firm mattress, but rather a firm mattress that has some cushioning. All of the Pranasleep models now on Jordan’s floor–at least the store I went to–are 5th generation (I verified this independently).

I was originally leaning toward the Super Vinyasa Luxury Firm. Specs:
Quilt: 2.5 lb poly foam in following layers:
3/4 inch soft
1 inch soft
1 inch soft

Comfort Layers: 1 inch Medium Pranasleep performance latex
2 inches Firm Pranasleep performance latex
Support System: 6" Pranasleep performance core (Talalay method) with 1.45 inches firm polyfoam underneath

Trying that out at the store for fifteen minute periods on two separate nights, it felt a bit too firm for me and it seemed as though it would be uncomfortable for side sleeping (I sometimes sleep on my back and sometimes on my side).

First Question: Fair to assume that if it felt a bit too firm at the store, it would probably feel that way at home, as the mattress on the floor would be somewhat “broken in,” after a fashion?

I settled on the 5th generation Samadhi Super Cush or Super Cushion (same mattress). The support system (core and below core) is identical. Here are the different specs:

Quilt: 2.5 lb polyfoam in following layers:
3/4 inch soft
3/4 inch soft
1 inch soft
1/2 inch FIRM

Comfort Layers: 2 inches Soft Pranasleep Performance Latex
2 inches Medium Pranasleep Performance Latex

I’ve talked to a few different Pranasleep vendor salespeople and they all say the comfort description is the same for both the Super Vinyasa Firm and the Samadhi Super Cush: “Mattressses in this category are firm with just a little bit of soft cushioning. They are a good choice for those who like firm support with a slight degree of give.” (Indeed, both descriptions are identical on the Jordan’s website in describing the mattresses).

So, in short, the difference is that the Samadhi has some firm poly foam in the quilting, one extra inch of latex in the comfort layer, but no firm latex in the comfort layer.

I’ve slept on the bed for four nights now. The first three nights I woke up rather achy, but this morning not achy at all.

So, questions: Would you describe the Samadhi super cush as truly a type of firm mattress?
Is it true that it may take up to a month to feel comfortable in it?
(I can change it for a firmer mattress with no penalty after I’ve slept on it for a month)…
I know these Pranasleep are really too expensive, but I couldn’t find others that were as comfortable for me.
Finally, any general comments or thoughts about this Samadhi super cush versus other Pranasleep firm mattresses (especially the Super Vinyasa Firm).
Ah, and what does Pranasleep mean by “performance latex”?

Than you so much!

Hi sailormass,

Welcome … and I’m glad the site could help you.

I would certainly ask them to make sure but it’s likely that the mattress on their floor would be broken in yes so it would most likely feel similar to a new mattress after it had gone through the initial break in and adjustment period.

There are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness as well and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

I have never slept on their mattresses so I don’t know how firm it would feel to me either in terms of “feel”, or comfort, or support, but even if I had you may “rate” it as a completely different firmness than I would. Your own experience is the only reliable way to know how firm it feels to you relative to other mattresses you have tested.

Yes … there is an initial break in and adjustment period with any new mattress that will depend on the person and on the mattress and can last anywhere from a few days to 90 days but something in the range of about 30 days would be fairly typical (see post #3 here).

I can’t speak to how a mattress will feel for someone else or how well it will match their needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) because I can’t feel what you feel on a mattress but you can read more about Pranasleep in general and the previous versions (up to version 4) of Pranasleep mattresses in post #3 here and in post #2 here and in post #3 here and in posts #1 and #2 here and a forum search on Prana (you can just click this) will also bring up more information and feedback about them as well.

The good news (as you know) is that they changed the design in version 5 and the top layers of polyfoam are now higher quality/density and are no longer what I would consider to be a weak link in the mattress in terms of durability. Having said that they are still in a significantly higher budget range than other similar mattresses and the top layers are still polyfoam so you would still be feeling and sleeping on polyfoam as much as latex but this could also be a “feel” that you prefer compared to sleeping more directly on latex . There is more about the new version 5 in post #19 here and I would certainly make some very careful “value” comparisons with other latex mattresses that use similar materials and are in a lower budget range before considering one of their mattresses to be the “best value” choice available to you.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

When you are considering a mattress in a higher budget range such as the Prana I would normally suggest making some careful “value” comparisons with other latex mattresses that use the same or similar materials and are in lower budget ranges that are as "objective as possible. Because how well you sleep on a mattress is the most important part of “value” … there are certainly some cases where a more costly mattress in this budget range may be “worth it” for a particular person that isn’t price sensitive and that has specific criteria, needs, or preferences that aren’t available or that they aren’t able to find in lower budget ranges and of course in cases like this it could still be a good “value” choice for some people but in general I would need a compelling reason that clearly indicated there was “enough” of a difference in “real life” between the Prana and other mattresses that may also be suitable in terms of comfort and PPP and would also be just as durable to satisfy yourself that the higher cost was justifiable and that you weren’t being “influenced” by marketing stories or the belief that higher prices mean a “better” mattress.

It’s just a name they made up to describe the latex they are using in their mattresses. It could be blended Talalay or 100% natural Talalay or Active Fusion latex (blended Talalay latex with a phase change material added to the formulation) but you would need to ask them which type and blend of latex they are using. These types of “naming conventions” are generally used to make it more difficult to make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses that use the same materials and to give the impression that the latex they are using is somehow “different” from other mattresses that also use the same type and blend of Talalay latex. I believe that they use 100% natural Talalay but you would need to ask them to find out for certain.

Phoenix

Thank you so much! This is exactly the advise I was seeking!