Special circumstance, handicapped, did we screw up?

I’ve been a reader for over five years. I posted a few months ago about mattress surgery we did to prolong our Celebrity Tempur-Pedic.

Spindle mattress was my source for the latex topper and the service and quality is honestly amazing. I have absorbed so much information in the last few years, I feel relatively confident in putting things together to make what works for us. My husband is in design and manufacturing and I am mechanically inclined as well so creating the right mattress isn’t overwhelming.

Long story short, I have had four back surgeries but in the next few weeks I am having the first of two sacroiliac fusion surgeries done. I have already been bedridden over 21 months!! My last thread showed photos of my mattress surgery but our Celebrity finally totally collapsed. My pain has gotten much worse, as has my husband’s hip and shoulder pain. We went so far as placing latex pillows under the mattress in our hip and lumbar areas to compensate for the tremendous amount of sagging but even that was a temporary band-aid.

My health needs have changed. As you can imagine, 21 months in bed means weakened ligaments, muscles, tendons, sore tissue, hot spots, and of course my normal pain from fibromyalgia. With memory foam, my muscles seem to have to do a lot more work to hold myself in a comfortable position. Back in January, I fell in love with an innerspring mattress. After almost a decade of swearing by my Tempur-Pedic, I felt like a traitor. Two years out of work is also a problem when it comes to purchasing a mattress at the price point of our Celebrity.

The same mattress was present today when we stopped in to Mattress Firm. It is the Hampton & Rhodes Select Tobago Pillow Top Mattress . My husband also loved it. The construction is a standard steel coil innerspring support layer, topped with a blend of memory foam and latex, approximately 4 inches. I decided we could use our superior Spindle Mattress 3" Medium Topper, combined with at least one of our Tempur Pedic comfort layers to recreate the same feeling.

So at this point, we decide to shop for a support layer mattress only. Everything I never wanted made me feel human for the first time in a long time on the Tobago - pillow top, inner spring at the mattress firm. Now, I know better. I really do. But I take enough medication daily to kill a horse. I can’t shower alone, can’t do my hair, and I’m only 30. I need a cane, walker, or wheelchair. Any amount of pain relief is a big deal.

We ended up purchasing a Sealy Posturpedic Diamond Bar Plush Inner spring mattress, with Titanium Individually pocketed coils. Their standard price was $1099 but we were out the door with delivery and some other little promotional items for $830.00. The mattress I loved was $1539.00 on sale. Of course they have their return and exchange policy so if this little experiment totally sucks we can go that route. But the Tobago had a standard steel coil and of course the mainstream mattress collapse which happens so often scared me away from buying it. Plus, we just don’t have that kind of money… $830 was much more bearable at half the price.

Did we make a huge mistake? My goal was to buy a support layer, and create a comfort layer as soft as the Tobago. I didn’t care about anything other than the longevity of the titanium coils. Cost is also a factor with us having a king.

I know we have the best quality Latex topper out there, and we have Tempur material to choose from. After laying on a latex mattress for some time, more of the newer tempur pedics, I am just feeling a little scared coming away from the memory foam. It changed my life ten years ago but my body has been through hell and I’m not the same person I was then.

TL,DR:

Was planning on buying a latex support layer, ended up buying Sealy Posturepedic Diamond Bar Plush with Titanium Coils after falling in love with an innerspring Hampton & Rhodes Tobago after two visits over 8 months. Decided we could build something similar since we have better latex at home. Did I buy a total POS mattress or are the Titanium coils decent? Will I get a similar feeling by constructing my own comfort layers? I am second guessing only because I have been die-hard memory foam and latex for so many years. Handicapped, spend 23 hours a day in bed, having two more surgeries where I can’t bear weight for six months.

Hi brittany741,

The Tobago doesn’t list the specifics of the material in the comfort layers (and they would almost certainly be low quality/density which means that they would be unlikely to hold their comfort and support in the longer term) but it is so different from the mattress/topper sleeping system that you ended up with that the only way to know how well they will “match” each other in terms of PPP would be based on your actual perceptions and sleeping experience. They are much too different to compare based on specs.

In terms of durability … a mattress will tend to soften, change, or break down from the top layers down (the top layers are more subject to wear and tear from compression forces) so at least you know that the top 3" of your mattress is a high quality and durable material.

The mattress you purchased uses 3.5" of “questionable” and most likely low quality materials in the upper layers which would certainly be a weak link in a mattress in terms of durability but your 3" topper will slow down the rate that these layers soften and break down to some degree so they would probably last a “little” longer than if you were sleeping on them directly. If you are looking at the uncertainty of buying a mattress/topper combination (see post #2 here) I would also tend to choose a “base” mattress that was much firmer than the one you chose because adding softer toppers on top of layers that are already fairly thick/soft can add to the risk of alignment issues as a result of comfort layers and toppers that together may be too thick and soft for you. Here again though … your own personal experience will always “trump” theory.

The coils are fine so they would be a good base but the only way to assess how a mattress feels or how close it would be would be based on your own experience because there are far to many unknowns, differences, and variables between them to even guess at how close the combinations you are building would be to the Hampton & Rhodes Select Tobago Pillow Top Mattress.

I hope your choices work out well for you and I’m certainly interested in your feedback once you have put your sleeping system together and have had a chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix