specifications for a latex mattress

Hi Julie1,

[quote]I am going to be looking at some 100% natural latex mattresses soon. What specifications should I look for in the support layer and the comfort layer? (ex. ILD, or density…) I did not find that information on the latex section.

I weigh around 115 pounds, and have a hourglass shape, so I need something soft and thick to sink into. I am also around 170 cm. I am a combination sleeper, mostly sleeping on my side, and sometimes my back.[/quote]

I wouldn’t look for any particular specifications at all to decide whether a mattress is suitable for you. If you are testing a mattress locally then careful and objective testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post will tell you what you need to know about whether a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). If you are looking at an online purchase then I would make sure that you have a more detailed conversation on the phone with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer who can help “talk you through” which of their mattresses or options have the best chance of success for you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for most people that aren’t experienced mattress designers to use specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” to choose a mattress. Even experienced mattress designers are often surprised at the difference between what a certain mattress “should have felt like” based on theory and what it actually feels like for a specific person in “real life”.

I’m not clear on what your bedframe looks like based on your description but the foundation post here (and the two posts it links to in the second paragraph) has more information about the different types of support systems (bedframe, foundation, platform bed etc) that would generally be most suitable for different types of mattresses. Any suitable support surface should have a flat and evenly supportive surface though and if the support surface is sagging or if it’s “bowed upwards” if you flip it over then it can cause issues with your mattress and it could void the warranty as well. It may be helpful if you could post a picture so I can get a better sense of what it looks like.

There is also more in post #10 here about solid surface support systems vs a slatted or wire grid support surface and I would only use a solid support surface if there was a compelling reason to do so or if all the other risk factors involving humidity and moisture buildup in the mattress were low.

If your mattress is still in good condition and there is no sagging or soft spots in the mattress and all you need is to add some additional softness and pressure relief to your mattress then a topper can be a very good solution. If your mattress has any sagging or soft spots then a topper will generally only be a partial or temporary solution at best and at worst it can make things worse because a topper will “follow” any soft spots or sagging in the mattress underneath it. If you do decide to add a topper then post #2 here and the topper guidelines and sources it links to can help you choose a topper that has the best chance of success on your mattress.

Phoenix