Spinal alignment for side sleeper

I have tried numerous latex and foam mattresses(brooklyn bedding, select foam, etc) with different ILD’s and my spinal alignment is off. As well as numerous pillows. Typically either my hips sink in too much or not enough. When either of these occur, I start to get pressure on arms as I am a side sleeper.

I read your posts on zoned and differential construction and I am considering them. I live close to nest bedding and I am thinking of going to try out their beds. I wanted to know if they offer zoned or differential construction mattresses? And if you would recommend zoned or differential mattresses for me?

Can you provide any other tips and advice for me? I really want to sleep better and PPP is key to getting there.

Thanks

Hi cr4321,

The most common “symptom” that be related to your spine being out of alignment as a result of your hips either sinking in too much or not enough would most likely be lower back pain or discomfort. Pressure points in your arms would most likely come from a comfort layer that is too firm or possibly a pillow issue…

I also wouldn’t focus on whether a mattress uses a “differential” or a “progressive” construction because these are only very general and broad descriptive terms for how a mattress is layered and there is no inherent reason that either one would be better or worse in terms of PPP. Either one could make a good choice depending on the specifics of the materials and components and the overall mattress design and layering.

Zoning systems can sometimes be useful and worth considering for people that have more difficulty finding a mattress with the right “balance” between comfort/pressure relief (under the shoulders especially) and support/alignment (under the hips/pelvis especially) or who have more challenging circumstances or sensitivities, body types that are more difficult to “match” to a mattress, more complex medical issues, or who have a history of having more difficulty in finding a mattress that works well for them. There is more about zoning in this article and in post #11 here and the additional posts it links to but the only way to know whether any specific mattress (zoned or otherwise) will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP will be based on your careful testing and personal experience.

They would be the best source of information about the specifics of the mattresses they currently have available and which of them are zoned.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m certainly happy to answer any specific questions you may have but the best general advice I can provide is to make sure you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for … especially if you can’t test the mattress before a purchase).

Phoenix

So I went to Nest Bedding and unfortunately did not find a mattress to my liking. I went to another mattress store and seem to prefer inner spring mattresses with pillow tops. Can you provide some recommendations from your membership list either local or online given my symptoms(side sleeper whose arms fall asleep)?

Hi cr4321,

As I mentioned in my previous reply … While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for mattresses, manufacturers, or combinations of materials and components because the first rule of mattress shopping is that you are the only one that can feel what you feel there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved to be able to predict which mattress would be the best match for you in terms of PPP.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

I understand and completely agree. I am in San Jose, CA and my zipcode is 95134.

Hi cr4321,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the San Jose, CA area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix