Spindle, Foam Sweet Foam or Cozy Pure

Hello, Looking for the best option for an 100% natural latex and organic cotton mattress. I have narrowed it down to the Spindle Abscond 10" Latex, the Foam Sweet Foam Urban Green 9", or the Cozy Pure Natural Comfort 9". Could someone help me decipher if one company or one mattress is superior in quality and it’s natural/organic composition as I want the purest/best quality option. I didn’t see some of the major certifications such as GOLS for Spindle and Foam Sweet Foam and wondered how they stack against Cozy Pure. As for price, The Spindle has the most economical price, the Foam Sweet Foam, and then Cozy Pure, but all are comparable. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you!

Also, is 10" of latex better than 9" or is there much of a difference. Thanks.

Hi ElizabethKing,

While I can’t speak to which of the mattresses you are considering would be the best “match” for you in terms of comfort or PPP or which one you would sleep best on … you are certainly looking as some great quality/value choices and all of them use high quality and durable materials and there aren’t any lower quality materials or weak links in any of them.

As you also know they are also all members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and I believe they all compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

The Spindle mattress uses three 3" layers of 100% natural Continuous pour Dunlop latex and has an organic cotton cover quilted with natural wool.

The the Foam Sweet Foam Urban Green 9" mattress uses three 3" layers that give you a choice between certified organic Dunlop or 100% natural Talalay in each of the layers.

The Cozy Pure Natural Comfort 9" mattress uses a 6" support core of 100% natural Dunlop and has a 2" sculpted comfort layer that is also made from 100% natural Dunlop (their organic comfort zone mattresses use 100% natural Dunlop that is also certified organic) and also has an organic cotton cover quilted with natural wool.

The choice between different types and blends of latex is always a preference choice rather than a “better/worse” choice and there is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

All the latex you are likely to encounter (Dunlop or Talalay made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will have been certified by either Oeko-Tex or Eco-Institut for harmful substances and VOC’s (see post #2 here) and I would consider any type or blend of latex to be a very “safe” material in terms of harmful substances and VOC’s.

There is also more about the benefits of an organic certification in post #3 here and there is more about the different levels of organic certifications in post #2 here and about organic and safety certifications in general in post #2 here for those where an organic certification is important for personal, environmental, or lifestyle reasons (although the organic certification won’t affect the safety, quality, or durability of the latex).

The thickness of a mattress or of individual layers is really just a side effect of the design and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful (see post #2 here). In some cases higher weight ranges will sometimes do better with a mattress that is a little thicker than lower weight ranges but even this depends more on the specific design and combination of materials in the mattress and on how well the mattress “as a whole” matches your specific needs and preferences than anything else.

Each of the manufacturers you are considering also has different options available after a purchase as well that can allow you to “fine tune” your choice or to return or exchange individual layers or the mattress as well so I would make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase that are “built in” to the cost of each of their mattresses since this can also be an important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase.

There is also more about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

I would keep in mind that the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or if you can’t test a mattress in person then your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Having said that … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would certainly include all the manufacturers you are considering) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Once you are down to a list of finalists and you are confident that they would all be a good match for you in terms of PPP (or you have good options after a purchase if you aren’t) and that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them in terms of durability (which there aren’t) then you would be down to finalists that are comparing “good to good”. If there are no clear winners between them at this point (which is usually a good indication that you have done some very good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely make a good quality/value choice and (post #2 here) can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional “value” extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. Sometimes a final choice may even come down to very minor differences or can sometimes just be a matter of “gut feel” or “educated best judgement”.

Phoenix

My goodness, You are incredibly helpful Phoenix! I have two issues I’m stuck on. The first, is that the Foam Sweet Foam offers the Bedder Bed which is medal and seems like the opposite of what I have researched to be the best foundation for latex mattress. (slats no more than 3" apart.)

The Spindle mattress is by far the best price, and my only issue comes with the warranty. In the warranty description is says that although it’s a 25 year warranty, it’s prorated and it is suggested that you replace this mattress after 10 years. Foam Sweet Foam and Cozy Pure both have a 30 year non-prorated warranty and gives the impression that these mattresses will last close to forever.

What is your experience with the longevity of these three mattresses. In the end I don’t mind paying the extra if I’m really going to get many more years out of it. But if the material is basically the same, and it’s just their marketing style that is different, than I may as well go with the Spindle as it is the lowest price.

Final calculations for mattress and foundation- Hard to know if the extra money is worth it.
Spindle-$1329.98
Foam Sweet Foam- $1896.92
Cozy Pure- $2,274.30

Again, thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

Hi ElizabethKing,

[quote]Final calculations for mattress and foundation- Hard to know if the extra money is worth it.
Spindle-$1329.98
Foam Sweet Foam- $1896.92
Cozy Pure- $2,274.30[/quote]

I’m not sure where your numbers come from but they don’t appear to be correct. I’m assuming that you are looking at a full size and I would also suggest making mattress only to mattress only comparisons as well so that the price of different foundations that are in different price ranges doesn’t skew your mattress comparisons. Any Mattress Underground discount is also calculated on the “mattress only” price as well.

Based on this and on the retail prices that are listed on their sites so you (and any others that are reading this) can make more “apples to apples” comparisons (and not including any discounts or bonuses that come with a mattress) the prices for each mattress would be …

Spindle 10" Natural Latex Mattress: $1149.00
Foam Sweet Foam Urban Green 10" (they don’t have a 9" mattress and their full size is the same as a queen): $1999
Cozy Pure Natural Comfort 9": $1599.00

Unfortunately there is no way to quantify how long any mattress will last for a specific person or predict exactly when you will decide to replace it because it is no longer suitable or comfortable for you (because this is the only real measure of durability or the useful life of a mattress that really matters) because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person but if a mattress is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new (see post #2 here) and meets the minimum quality/durability specs that are suggested in the guidelines here then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with materials that are higher quality and more durable than the minimum guidelines such as latex (in the top comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer.

There is also more detailed information about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

While a warranty is important to guard against the occasional manufacturing defect in the materials or components inside a mattress … I would keep in mind that mattress warranties only cover manufacturing defects and they don’t cover the gradual (or more rapid in the case of lower quality comfort layers) loss of comfort and support that comes from foam softening that is the main reason that most people will need to replace their mattress. In other words warranties have little to nothing to do with the durability or useful life of a mattress or how long it will be until you need to buy a new mattress. If there is an actual defect in the materials it will usually show up early in the life of the mattress (usually in the first year or two) but knowing the quality and durability of the materials in your mattress is always a much more reliable way to assess the useful life of a mattress than the length of a warranty. There is more about mattress warranties in post #174 here.

Since all the mattresses you are considering use latex which is very durable material compared to other types of foam materials and mattress components … I would treat all of the mattresses you are considering as “close equivalents” in terms of durability.

One of the additional advantages of a component mattress is also that you can replace just the top layer of the mattress if it softens or breaks down sooner than the deeper layers of the mattress (which is likely) or if your needs and preferences change down the road without having to replace the entire mattress.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
You have been an immense help that I sincerely appreciate. I narrowed it down to these three great companies because of your informative forums and your insight today helped me hone down on the Spindle Abscond "10. Will order tomorrow! Looking forward to my first sleep on natural latex!
Thanks again,
Elizabeth

Hi ElizabethKing,

As you know you certainly had 3 great finalists and you ended up making a great quality/value choice.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix