Spindle/Sleep EZ, covered vs bare latex layers

225 lbs, 68 yo male, lower back muscle pain. Combo side/back sleeper. Queen bed. Just me for now. Maybe a second sleeper in the future.

I’m wondering about the pros and cons of covered vs bare latex layers for a config-your-own mattress from companies like Spindle (covered layers) and Sleep EZ (bare layers.)

I do have a phone appointment with Spindle scheduled for tomorrow. Interested in any thoughts here too though.

Questions

What are the pros and cons of covered layers? Is the cover typically cotton?

With Spindle, if I decide to remove the sock covers later and go bare latex would that work? Wondering if the mattress cover would then be too lose? (I’ll reply tomorrow what Spindle says about that.)

Any tricks to covering up or filling in the gap in the middle from covered, split layers?

Further background

So far thinking, queen, 10", from top to bottom, MMF, all Dunlop. (Is it Talalay that feels more jello-like? If so, not that.)

I’m leaning toward Spindle for the 1 yr return policy and get-adjusted period. My main reservation is the covered layers. If not split layers that’s probably OK. I’m thinking though that split layers would be more flexible for experiments and adjustments of layers

I’ve been told that you don’t feel any gap with bare, split latex because it tends to stick to itself. I know I felt a gap in Naturepedic covered, split layers. I was able to try one in Charlotte, NC.

Ideally if doable I’d probably like Spindle for it’s 1-yr return policy with bare, split latex, or covered, split latex with a way to not feel the gap in the middle.

@DLX
@Arizona_Premium
@Sleep_EZ

Note that DLX does not offer a layered latex mattress, but @maverick asked if we could share some of our knowledge on mattress design based on our experience.

The choice between covered versus not covered is not a matter of good vs. bad or one being superior to the other; it is a matter of personal preference.

For adjusting the firmness, both split layers and cover layers should require about the same effort and hassle to move around. Obviously, the split layers will be lighter in weight. Covered latex allows for easier handling, has a more finished look, and hides cosmetic flaws that occur naturally in latex, which have no bearing on durability or performance.

However, adding fabric does increase the cost of making the mattress. If you have concerns about the latex being covered and want to remove the fabric covering, it seems you are better off not buying that mattress because you are paying for something you won’t use. You could remove the fabric without affecting the fit inside a cover, as the thickness of the fabric is negligible.

With split layers, you’ll usually feel a rigid transition between two different firmness levels. For example, DLX offers a split firmness in our Premier Hybrid, but we have 1-1/2" of foam plus a fiber batting above the split layers, which helps smooth out the transition and make it less pronounced, but still provide the benefit of two feels in the same mattress. In contrast, companies like Sleepez, Spindle, and Naturepedic just have wool batting, so you may notice the transition more. However, your mileage may vary, and people experience the same bed differently.

All are good options if you want to try an “all” latex mattress. If someone gets the Sleepez and don’t find it comfortable, they’ll probably have buyer’s remorse and wish that you had bought the Spindle and vice versa. Rest assured, if someone picks either and don’t find it comfortable, there is a very high likelihood that they won’t find the other comfortable either and need to look into another type of mattress.

2 Likes