Split mattress for weight difference

After 10 years on a Restonic memory foam mattress it’s time to shop for another. We love the benefits of foam versus a coil mattress and will never go back to coil, but now I’m interested in getting a latex mattress instead of memory foam based on all that I’ve read lately. In all honesty, we have not been too particular about the mattresses we sleep on, but my husband has been living with aches and pains in more recent years and I think our mattress choice may be able to alleviate some of that for him. My question is regarding a split mattress. Husband is 6’7", 240 lbs., I’m 5’10", 130 lbs., and we are 50/50 side and back sleepers. I believe a more supportive mattress for him would be best. Although I’m not too particular in general, if we go with a mattress with solid layers I’m concerned that what is beneficial for him may compromise my pressure relief and comfort. Does a mattress with split layers seem like the smartest choice for us because of our weight difference? Going with split layers does limit my choice of sellers.

Hi Sweetpea,

The first part of post #2 here has more information about some of the ways that can help accommodate a couple where each one’s need and preferences are different. A split layering is certainly one good option that has helped many couples in a similar situation although there may also be “regular” mattresses that work well for both of you as well so I wouldn’t rule out a regular mattress either … especially if you have researched and are working with a knowledgeable retailer or manufacturer (step 3 of the tutorial post here) that has experience in dealing with situations such as yours.

Phoenix