Springwall Mattress Info Request

Hi.

I have reviewed a lot of your information on your mattressundergorund.com website and it has been very helpful.

Meantime, we recently tested the Springwall Seaside Plush Euro Pillow-Top Queen Mattress and Boxspring Set - specs provided further below - among quite a few others, including memory foam These are the only specs that were available at the retail level. The bed is “on sale” for $719, which is advertised to be app. 50% of the “regular retail” price.

After laying on this bed for app. 15 minutes, we found it to be quite comfortable,and despite the pillow-top, we felt firm support… I should note that we felt a little more support in a similar bed without the pillow-top, but didn’t notice a huge difference. We tested a number of “firm” beds from leading and other manufacturer’s lines, including memory foam.

YOUR INPUT: Based on the info provided below (from the retailer), is there additional information/specs you would suggest we request? Do you have a general opinion about this bed and its specs, based on the info provided here?

Note:

My wife and I are app 60,  average weight and height respectively. 
We both prefer a firm bed.
We sleep on our backs and our sides......lately my wife sleeps more on her left side more, due to a re-occurring lower back nerve pain (which she feels more in the centre of her back) which can be intense from time to time. She does not plan to have surgery for it. In our current, older mattress, she feels quite a bit of lower back discomfort when she lies on her back; this tends to ease between 4 and 6 am.
My back also  seems to feel much better on a firm mattress.

My wife has allergies to many things, including dust, dust mites, pet dander,spring and fall pollen, etc.
I may have mild asthma (my family doctor and respirologist disagree on this point)

Please see mattress info below, as shown on the retailer’s website. (Note: I contacted Spring wall for additional information, which I added after the info below).

Thanks.
Steve

FOLLOWING INFO IS FROM THE BRICK WEBSITE

Springwall Seaside Plush Euro Pillow-Top Queen Mattress and Boxspring Set

$719.97

Item Code: SSIDEPQPK

Get ready for a cozy sleep, thanks to the lovely Seaside Plush Euro Pillow-Top Mattress from Springwall! Starting with 800 Foam Encased Comfort Pocket Coils, this mattress also comes with an insulator pad, tack and jump quilting on the mattress top, and layers of Bio Trizone Visco Foam, Bio Trizone Convergence foam, Percell Bio Foam, and a Plush Trizone Comfort Layer! Rest easy tonight!

Key Features

• 800 Comfort Pocket Coils

• Foam Encased

• Insulator Pad

• 1/2" Bio Trizone Visco Layer

• 1/2" Bio Trizone Convergence Layer

• 2" Percell Bio Foam Upholstery

• Inner Action EPT

• 2" Plush Trizone Comfort Layer

• Tack and Jump (T&J) Quilted to 2 Layers of 3/4" Foam and 20 oz. Hollow Fibre/Wool

• Durasystem Base (Hi or Lo Pro)

Specifications

800 Comfort Pocket Coil
[/b]800 coils conform to your body weight to provide the most restful sleep.

Foam Encased
Foam encased products offer a greater sleep surface and a firm sitting edge.

Insulator Pad
Insulator pads are placed between the coil and the cushioning material to prevent the springs from piercing the cushioning and to provide a bridge across the springs to more evenly distribute weight.

1/2" Bio Trizone Visco Layer
Visco-elastic memory foam provides comfort cradling foam that conforms to your body for maximum pressure point relief and improved circulation to prevent aching muscles and joints.

1/2" Bio Trizone Convergence Layer
Springwall’s Convergence foam is a blend of the best foams available – premium Talalay Latex, contouring Visco memory foam, and soya-based Bio Foam. Together, they provide a supportive and environmentally friendly sleep surface.

2" Percell Bio Foam Upholstery
The Percell Bio Foam contains natural Soya Oil content in comfort supporting foam.

Inner Action EPT
The true Pillow Top extends your sleep surface and mattress life for many nights of restful sleep.

2" Plush Trizone Comfort Layer
The Plush Trizone Comfort Layer contains natural Soya Oil content in comfort supporting foam, while providing extra support in the middle of mattress, where the trunk of your body needs support.

Tack and Jump (T&J) Quilted to 2 Layers of 3/4" Foam and 20 oz. Hollow Fibre/Wool
Tack and Jump quilted to super soft foam and a hollow fibre/wool blend for a luxuriously cushioned comfort panel.

Durasystem Base (Hi or Lo Pro)
This heavy duty steel foundation adds to the life of the mattress set.

ADDITIONAL INFO DIRECTLY FROM SPRINGWALL (Our questions are shown in bold type)

Do we use Polyurethane in our foam?

Yes, all foam has polyurethane in it. It is an oil based chemical that is used to make foam.

How are the layers of foam connected to each other in the mattress? Is there off-gasing?

The layers are connected with a water based glue. There is no off-gasing.

Do we use synthetic latex?

The type of latex that we use is from Malaysia and is from a rubber tree mixed with synthetic latex. We have the highest degree of craftsmanship and purity when making our latex foam. The standard latex combination in most mattresses is a natural/synthetic blend. If it was all natural, it would break down quickly; the synthetic latex gives the foam durability.

How many connecting links are inside of the mattress?

As I said on the phone, since it is a Pocket Coil mattress; all of coils are individual and none are connected. There is a fabric encasement that keeps these coils in place.

How is the edge of the mattress and foundation (box spring) made?

The foundation consists of metal and wood. There is nothing else that is inside it or anything else that creates the edge.
The edge of the mattress is made from high grade foam encasement baked to be extremely firm.

Hi infoquestbarnes,

That’s a lot of information but unfortunately it doesn’t include the information that you would need to assess the quality of the materials in the mattress or their durability or make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

For this you would need to know the thickness and density of any memory foam or polyfoam layers and the type and blend of any latex in the mattress.

I would generally avoid dealing with stores like the Brick completely (see the information, steps, and guidelines in the tutorial post here) but when I talked with Carey at the Springwall factory in Calgary (who is an engineer), he told me they would be glad to provide this information to consumers even if stores that carry their mattresses don’t provide this information to their customers (like the Brick) so you have access to the information you need even if the Brick won’t provide it.

At the very least I would want to know the density of the following layers …

2" Percell Bio Foam Upholstery
2" Plush Trizone Comfort Layer
2 Layers of 3/4" Foam (total 1.5")

If any of these layers are less than 1.8 lb density polyfoam then I would also want to know the density of the 1/2" memory foam layer and the memory foam and the polyfoam in the tri-zone convergence layer as well because I generally suggest a guideline of “no more than an inch or so” of lower quality/density or unknown density materials in a mattress to make sure there are no obvious weak links in a mattress and reduce the risk of early foam softening and breakdown.

Once there are about 2" or more of lower quality or unknown foams in the upper layers of a mattress then there is a more significant risk that the mattress will be less durable and have a much shorter useful lifetime and since foam softening and the loss of comfort and support that goes with it isn’t covered by a warranty you could end up with a mattress that fairly quickly was no longer a good match for you in terms of PPP and you would need to replace it no matter how good it felt in the showroom.

Phoenix

Hi.

I just spoke with Carey at Springwall,and he provided the additional information as I understood you to outline. I read to him the text of the additional information needed.: He was very helpful. .

Regarding 2" Percell Bio Foam Upholstery
and 2" Plush Trizone Comfort Layer
and 2 Layers of 3/4" Foam (total 1.5")

Carey said all of the above are “2 pound” density.

Regarding the density of the “1/2 memory foam layer and the memory foam and the polyfoam in the tri-zone convergence layer as well”, Carey said that he “doesn’t know the exact density” on those, but he knows it’s “at least 2 (pounds).”

Regarding outgassing, Carey said that yes, there will be outgassing, which should dissipate or significantly lessen over time; that there are petroleum based products in the mattress (for example in the polyurethane), as there are in all synthetic foam products, but that these materials are “inert”… “not volatile”. He acknowledged that there are always some people who will have sensitivities to even 100% all natural materials.

He confirmed that the pillow top on the mattress will, over time, compress or soften up a bit as it conforms to the body, but that the primary support comes from the individually foam-encased pocket coils. He said of course, with any back issue, he can’t say for certain that this compression won’t be an issue, and this particular Chiropractic line doesn’t come without the pillow-top. So that’s a discussion to have with our chiropractor.

He may have also saved us a lot of money on a mattress protector we had in mind. Due to the problem of bed bug outbreak in the Toronto area, this is a concern for us. Carey explained that the ONLY real protection against bed bugs infesting a bed is to complete encase BOTH the mattress AND box spring in a zippered cover.

Do you have any specific opinion at this time or additional information you feel we should seek?

Thanks.