St. Dormeir Mattress Protector Changed!

I couldn’t find a thread already discussing this, but after purchasing a second St. Dormeir protector (my first was purchased in 2014), I have learned that the “ingredients” and care instructions have changed.

I"m concerned about this because I don’t think I’ll be able to comply with them. Now they want you to wash in a machine without agitator (which I don’t have), and hang-dry or dry-clean only only (not very practical options either). Also, before they said to wash the protector by itself, and now you’re supposed to put towels in with it.

I’ve attached the new guidelines. Has anyone had success with this new formulation? And do you need to be that strict about the cleaning? I’m nervous that I just bought an expensive product that I may not be able to adequately maintain. I’m also wondering if any retailers still have older stock.

Hi The Toddler.

You are quite right, there is no thread discussing Dormeir’s protector changes. Thanks for your question and for the image with Dormeir’s new care instructions. I see that they had to find different suppliers for components due to supply chains disruptions. Kudo’s to them for testing and for being transparent about it.

Even though Dormeir maintained the protector’s 3 years warranty on materials and workmanship, I’d be “strict about cleaning”. They made it clear that it is important to carefully follow the new care instructions. Always follow the care instructions to get the most from your Mattress Protector.

While I do not own the St Dormeir protector (old or new) here are a few thoughts that might help with your decision.
All types of wool are affected by water, heat, and agitation. Some types of wool are more sensitive than others which is why it is recommended to wash wool in cold or lukewarm water and not agitate it to tangle the fibers. How sensitive the wool is … depends on the wool fiber diameter, cuticle scale shape, method of processing, etc.

During agitation fibers rub against each other, causing the scales to interlock and pull the fabric together (felting). Agitation will cause the wool to felt because the cuticle scales orientation is completely disrupted from their natural arrangement (think living sheep). In a fleece, the cuticle scales are oriented “tip to base” like shingles on the roof but once the fleece is shorn, cleaned, and scoured this orientation is disrupted When the fibers are processed the fiber lining can be 180 degrees from each other which will cause the scales to catch on one another. The presence of water, heat, and agitation will act as a ratchet and the cuticle scales will be “interlocking” further tightening the fibers. The washer’s agitator will contribute to the rub which is why they ask that the protector is washed in a front loader. Adding towels to the wash will minimize the rubbing of fibers.

They are asking to hang dry the product. The heat from a drier is not the same for all driers. The heat may cause fibers to become brittle (lose softness, elasticity, and smoothness), lose their shape, and start felting. Just as with agitation, heat can cause the fibers to interlock. I’d add to Dormeir’s note to also avoid bleaches and bleaching agents as they will break down the natural fibers.

You may want to reach to FloBeds which is one of the Trusted members of our site and also aTMU mattress expert with their own dedicated forum They mentioned this change about a year ago so they may have more data available. Ask them if they had any consumer feedback on the reworked protector. I’d also email Dormeir to get in writing any tip they may have for your particular situation.

I am hoping that someone who owns the new Dormeir protector will see your post and chime in.
Phoenix