Sterns & Foster vs. Brooklyn Bedding

I was recently in an R & S Matress store and the salesman there recommended a Sterns & Foster Estate Monet Garden over Brooklyn Bedding. He said the Estate line is Sterns & Foster’s top of the line and is preferable to anything Brooklyn Bedding, although, he says Brooklyn Bedding is excellent. According to my research, the Estate line actually seems to be more of an entry level, but that’s really beside the point. I’m wondering if anyone has had experience with Sterns & Foster and if they are worth buying. I’ve read some reviews that say they tend to sag after not too long. The Sterns & Foster would actually end up being cheaper than the Brooklyn Bedding Bamboo Bella that I’m looking at, but I don’t want to sacrifice quality just to save $200. Can anyone give any insight into which of these matresses might be better?

Hi tsakana,

A mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it so there is no way to make meaningful comparisons between mattresses based on brand.

Unfortunately … Stearns & Foster along with the other major brands don’t disclose the specs of their materials but it is safe to assume that the polyfoam in the upper layers which are the weak link of a mattress are in a lower quality range compared to many other smaller manufacturers. Their innersprings are good quality but this is not the weak link of a mattress. If you have thicker layers of polyfoam that are low/mid quality then you are taking a significant risk of foam softening and breakdown relatively quickly (which usually isn’t covered by warranty)

Brooklyn Bedding on the other hand is more transparent about the materials they use in their mattresses so it’s easier to make meaningful assessments and comparisons with other mattresses and to identify if a mattress has any weak links in the materials used in the upper layers of the mattress.

As you can see in the guidelines here … I personally wouldn’t purchase a mattress where the specs are unknown … particularly if there is a lot of “suspect” polyfoam in the comfort layers.

At least with the Brooklyn Bedding mattresses you will be able to find out the details of what is in them so you can know the quality and value of what you are buying although it’s still important to make sure you get all the details about what is in a mattress before you buy anything.

Phoenix

We purchased a top of the line Sterns and Foster a number of years ago. The wife was never impressed with it and we are now shopping for a new mattress. Sterns and Foster is not on my list, Brooklyn Bedding is.

Good to know. Thanks!

I purchased a S&F Estate bed from Macy’s not quite 2 years ago and have had problems with dips/sagging. I’m an average size adult. I’m quite disappointed, as I thought S&F was a high quality manufacturer. (didn’t know about this web site at that time!) Paid twice as much as for my previous bed, a Sealy, which lasted 8 years. I’m sure that there are many satisfied S&F owners out there, but I’m not one of them…looking at Brooklyn Bedding for my next mattress.

Hi fitchm,

Unfortunately you are in the same boat as so many others who buy what they believe is a “quality brand” only to find out that the actual materials they use (especially in the comfort layers which are the weak link of most mattresses) are no better and often lower quality than mattresses costing much less.

Thanks for the feedback.

Phoenix

I’ve decided to purchase the Brooklyn Bedding Bamboo Bella, rather than the Sterns & Foster mattress. I feel much better about that purchase since I can verify what the layers are made of, and, I’ve seen almost nothing but positive reviews on Brooklyn Bedding. I just ordered it today and can hardly wait for it to get here. My old mattress is really starting to hurt my back. I’ll post about my experience with it once I’ve gotten it and have had a chance to sleep on it a bit.

Hi tsakana,

I think you made a good choice in terms of both quality and value as well as having the option to exchange the comfort layer if you need to change your comfort choice.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix