still searching for a latex mattress and adjustable base

This is a very difficult process. There’s so many claims and so much conflicting information.

1. We decided on a split king on adjustable base.[hr]
  2. We went to several local mattress store looking for a mattress to replace our 10yo TempurPedic which has big dips on both sides and is very sticky roll over in.[hr]
  3. I started doing research online, taking into consideration that I have allergies which have become increasingly more severe over the last 9 or so years.[hr]
  4. Every website I read gave me more information.[hr]
  5. We had it narrowed down to SleepEZ and SavvyRest.[hr]
  6. We drove over 4 hours to lay on a SavvyRest mattress. We both really like this mattress, but were concerned that there was no trial period, just layer exchange.[hr]
  7. I ran across some videos from Sleep Essentials. They also don’t have a trial period but was impressed with the information on the vidoes.[hr]
  8. This morning, just before placing my order, I decided to check out independent reviews on Sleep Essentials. What I saw was disconcerting. The complaints I read were mostly with them not honoring the warranty even though the consumer sent lots of photos. The responses were unprofessional and essentially seemed to accuse the consumer of trying to perpetrate a fraud. I then went to their Facebook page and saw similar complaints. He might have great informational videos, but the way he’s handing complaints is less than reassuring.[hr]
  9. One of the FB comments I read was that he uses the same source for Latex as SleepEZ which is on your recommended company list, does have a trial period/return policy, and is slightly less expensive than Sleep Essentials.[hr]

On the bases, I’m not sold on the SleepEZ base. It’s made by Ergo Motion, and while I believe a reputable company, as far as I can tell does not have a wall hugger type base. That feature is pretty much top priority on our list because we both have sleep apnea and need to be able to easily reach our cpap machines.

I really like the Leggett & Platt Prodigy 2.0 base for me and the Leggett & Platt S-Cape for my husband. I am told that there is no problem using these 2 together in a Split king configuration. I don’t really want to split up my bed and base orders to 2 different companies if I can avoid it, but looks like if I go with SleepEZ, I will have to.

Am I correct in my observations about these 3 companies?
Are there any recommendations on where to purchase the Leggett&Platt bases?

Hi DancingBayLLC,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing nightly discomfort due to the dips developed on both sides of your Tempur-Pedic bed.

A side-by-side split sounds good for partners with different needs and preferences or with a larger weight differential. It’s also good to see you have narrowed your search for a replacement mattress down to a few good choices. I agree that searching for a new mattress can be very involved, but the advantage of taking time to review basic mattress information and how this applies to your particular circumstance leads to an Increased likelihood of finding a good match mattress for you and your partner that will last you for a long period of time if you select something with durable and quality materials. You probably came across The mattress shopping tutorial here but I’d make sure to take a look at our mattress specifications you need to know so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the
mattress durability guidelines here before beginning to test or shop for a mattress.

You said you have developed some allergies… Are you allergic to foams, latex, wool, or are you just concerned with VOC levels and FR solutions in general? What type of mattress and materials you are considering (innerspring, all latex, memory foam, etc.)? Also without knowing more specifics – you and your husbands’ height, weight, and any general conditions/pains you may have which are affecting your sleep (you mentioned you both use CPAP machines – it would be impossible to make any specific comments on any of the mattresses of your choice except in very general terms.

I also watched some of Sleep essentials’ videos and they are useful and informative, but unfortunately, I do see some type of disconnect there as there are too many reports of issues with their customer service as can be seen on their Facebook page and other consumer report sites.

You are correct that the most successful way to find a suitable mattress for your needs and preferences is to do some local testing and compare a few good quality mattresses side by side. Again I would not consider testing any mattress for which you cannot find the mattress specifications you need to know so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the mattress durability guidelines here
The SavvyRest is a good quality product, but without a trial period, I understand why you’d want to err on the side of caution and why this criterion is important to you. It can take quite some time for your body to adapt to a new mattress, and for the new mattress to adapt to you. This may be especially true in your case as your body has “adapted” to sleeping in the Tempur-Pedic dips and out of alignment which typically causes some muscles and ligaments to stretch or shorten attempting to compensate and allow you to get a good night rest… so it may take some time for your muscles to loosen and for your “muscle memory” to get used to sleeping in better alignment.

On the other hand, I am glad that one of your finalists for a mattress is SleepEZ as they are is a highly trusted veteran member of The Mattress Underground and have built a strong customer excellence and reputability. SleepEZ is also on TMU’s panel of mattress experts and they can answer any questions or issues you might have on their dedicated TMU forum here They are very good at approximating the feel of a more well-known mattress on the market. I am not sure if they do that right now but you may want to enquire about it.

As for the power bases, you may consider running your questions by Richmond Bedding who has decades of experience with Leggett & Platt bases including the ones you are mentioning, Prodigy and S-Cape . As you have clear requirements for bases, and how they need to be placed, you can reach out to Tim either by phone or through their dedicated forum here , he is very knowledgeable and very prompt to respond to questions.

All in all, you seem to be on the right track, let us know if you have additional questions as you continue any local testing and decisions

Phoenix

Thank you for your detailed response.

I was surfing around and came across a company called Rest Right Mattress. Their prices on the L&P adjustable bases are the best price I’ve found. They have a great BBB score, but have not been about to find any other information about the company in general.

As far as mattresses, We’ve decided on the SleepEZ. I will call and discuss firmness layers per our experience laying on a SavvyRest. The trial period was the deciding factor.

Allergies… dust mites, pollen, grasses, dogs, a few antibiotics, etc… As far as I know, no foam or latex allergies. The biggest concern I have with non natural bedding is off-gassing. Our TemperPedic mattress is around 10 years old and I wonder if it still off gases. All I know is that I developed asthma after buying the TemperPedic. May be totally unrelated. If a new latex mattress improves my breathing issues, then we’ll have a better idea. I did buy a latex pillow a month or so ago and have not noticed any respiratory or dermal reactions to it.

$$$ wise, the adjustable base that SleepEZ carries would be the most economical, but (and I may be falling for the marketing) I feel like the wall hugger technology would be best for us.

For what it’s worth, I happened to be driving through Roanoke and met Lee at his Sleep Essentials showroom. He was very professional with no pressure. We purchased his medium soft queen bed and delivery was fast/great. My wife loved it but I felt it a bit too soft. I requested a firm layer replacement per his comfort guarantee and it was shipped promptly with no questions. I can’t comment on the rest of the guarantee or the FB comments, but everything with my transaction was fine. Good luck!

I bought a split queen mattress from Rest Right. The quality is excellent and Jesse is very prompt in answering questions. Shipping took a little while but it eventually got here. Jesse sent updates when it shipped. As you say, the prices are excellent. I did not buy a frame from Rest Right.