storage bed slats appropriate for 8" latex mattress?

Hi there,

I recently purchased a Latex International mattress (6" + 2" topper). So far so good, thanks to this website :slight_smile:

I’ve been looking into foundations. I’m wondering if the curved slats and metal frame of this type of bed would be sufficient? They seem fairly minimal given the weight of the mattress:

Thanks!

Hello Jaunt,

IMO it depends on how “heavy duity” the slats and metal are because of how heavy latex is. Plus i would also factor in not only the weight of the matress but the weight of the people sleeping on it for an overall weight consideration. I would also check to see (with a tape measure if you can) how far apart the slats are from eachother i know for latex beds they recommend the slats being no more than 3"s apart for my personal preference i like to have them no more than 2.15"s a part.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

-Immortal

Hi jaunt,

My thoughts are very much along the lines of Immortal216 … and it’s great to see that some of the well informed members are sharing their thoughts in the threads :slight_smile:

One other consideration (besides it’s weight carrying capacity and the surface area and spacing of the slats) I would take into account is that slatted systems which have thinner more flexible hardwood slats will act like a “semi flex” layer under the mattress. This is more popular in Europe where the tendency is towards thinner mattresses and the base underneath is considered to be part of the overall sleeping system (in the same way that many innerspring mattresses are designed as a set with their matching box spring). The thinner your mattress, the more this type of slatted base can affect how your mattress feels and performs. It will affect how the mattress interacts with a person in other words. This is not bad or good … simply a part of the overall design of a sleeping system that needs to be taken into account.

Phoenix

Thanks for the insights Immortal and Phoenix.

I wouldn’t doubt that they are made strong enough not to break, but I don’t like the thought of them sagging. I’d rather have a uniform surface no matter if two people are sleeping on it, one in the middle, diagonally, etc. I’ll see if I can find something with solid slats.