Struggling with back pain, DIY layer advice - Side Sleeper

I can totally sympathize with your situation and the sticker shock that one adjustable king size layer could retail for $1200 (I got mine on sale too) but having looked at my options I can tell you it’s still a heck of a deal. The alternative is to buy 3" talalay layers of each firmness (@ $300ea), figure out where the zones need to be and cut them yourself. I almost went this route but in the end I’m so glad I didn’t because little did I know at the time but Flobeds will replace any of those zones in your V-zone layer for the warranty period (20 years). So in my case I needed 4 more zones to try and get my alignment correct so I just called them up and they sent those layers (over $400 worth) to me free. You really can’t beat this setup for adjustability and when you factor in the free adjustment pieces for that long it becomes a complete no brainer. Now even if Flobeds did somehow go out of business and you needed a replacement section you could always buy a 3" layer and cut it yourself or try to buy leftovers (pieces leftover from cutting) to make it work again. Anyway just wanted to share since I went through the same thing not long ago.[/quote]

The longer today goes on, the more I lean back towards just buying the best comfort layer I can, which is the vZone. That said, I have some bad news according to Dewey at Flobeds. “Goldilocks guarantee” is only valid on full mattress purchases now. DIY configurations using the “replacement” vZone layer are not subject to the guarantee and layer firmness changes can only be made by buying the properly sized zone for $50 or $100.

At the end of the day, a 3" blanded talalay 28ILD layer is going to run me ~$410 and if that doesn’t work the vZone is the next step. I might as well cut out that stepping stone and just spend on the best available.

Well that’s crappy (they must have changed that very recently) but even knowing that honestly I would still have bought it. It’s well designed and very hard to reproduce in a DIY setup without significant expense. I can also vouch for the fact it’s a real game changer when you run up against the limitation of individual layers. Latex beds last a very long time so the investment to get it tailored specifically for a person’s needs is definitely worth it IMHO.

I think I’m going for it. Just for giggles I emailed them directly instead of chat to get it in writing for my records. Paul Chiem responded and stated that they WILL honor the Goldilocks guarantee if you buy both halves.

“If you moved forward with purchasing 2 layers to cover your queen mattress you will be treated under the same goldilocks guarantee with the zones as if you purchased the vZone mattress. You will have 100 nights to adjust the vZone layer and get additional firmnesses within that trial period at no cost.”

I don’t know who’s right here, but I at least have timestamped correspondence that they will do the swaps.

Out the door with a Queen size for $778. Was able to stack a 22% earth day and free April shipping coupons. I can’t complain about that at all.

Hope this works out.

[quote=“nick7790 post=91949”]
I think I’m going for it. Just for giggles I emailed them directly instead of chat to get it in writing for my records. Paul Chiem responded and stated that they WILL honor the Goldilocks guarantee if you buy both halves.

“If you moved forward with purchasing 2 layers to cover your queen mattress you will be treated under the same goldilocks guarantee with the zones as if you purchased the vZone mattress. You will have 100 nights to adjust the vZone layer and get additional firmnesses within that trial period at no cost.”

I don’t know who’s right here, but I at least have timestamped correspondence that they will do the swaps.[/quote]

That’s more like it (nice to know the exact details on the warranty). Flobeds customer service has been excellent for me and I’m sure they will take good care of you too. Let us know how you make out when you get it.

What type of cover do you use? We haven’t ordered one yet and were trying to get a height figured out first. Right now we just use a mattress protector and fitted sheet to keep everything together. We’re probably going to do stretch cotton, but haven’t decided on a vendor yet.

I have a big & tall mattress cover from Flobeds and also a Purple mattress cover I’ve been playing around with. I may combine them to make a hybrid cover not sure yet. Don’t worry about your cover until you have everythig else squared away already (ie you know the finsihed height of the mattress). I would tackle the issues as 1) alignment 2) pressure relief 3) finish (cover) so until then a loose fitting mattress pad and fitted sheet are good enough to simulate how the finished bed will feel while you are making layer adjustments.

Wanted to check back in. We’re not sure if it was the overall height/thickness of the mattress or if the FloBeds layer is just THAT good, but we’re in a much better place. We’re still getting things dialed and might switch a section to something slightly softer, but we both think it feels significantly better. I haven’t slept for 8 hours straight in over a year, but did almost a week straight after having the layer for a week. I’ll also state that the vZone layers came in a much nicer “package” than what I had thought with the stitched and zippered ribbon to keep things together.

Current config:

1" Dunlop 19ILD - SOL
2" Talalay 28ILD - LMF
3" Flobeds vZone Medium
3" Blended Talalay 28ILD - APM
3" Blended Talalay 36ILD - APM

That’s huge progress!!! Let us know what you end up tweaking in the layers to get it dialed in and if you need any help troubleshooting.

Well, I apparently typed out a long response on the old forum which I have no access to.

The short of it is, the comfort was short lived. I’ve been tweaking the zoning and mattress this entire year. I have enough extra Flobeds components to make another half queen layer.

I’m at the point where I think I either need a firmer support layer. I think it’s between a firm ~38 Dunlop layer or switch to a pocket coil system. A layer will be roughly $375, the coils $400-450.

Anyone have any suggestions here?

APM has the Bolsa pocket coils and I believe the owner suggested the non zoned model for side sleepers. I’m not sure if that’s the right move here over a firmer, dunlop support layer.