Stuck between Latex Mattress Factory & DLX! Help choosing firmness level

Hi there! I’ve been shopping for a new mattress using the wonderful resources of TMU for a few months now and believe I’ve narrowed down my selection to 2 options:

1. Luxerion Latex Mattress @Latex_Mattress_Fact1
  • Queen 60 x 80
  • 10" height - 3 3" Dunlop layers + 1" cover
  • Medium firmness (Top layer: Medium, Middle layer: Medium, Bottom layer: Firm)
  1. Premiere Hybrid @DLX
  • Queen
  • 8" Advanced Hybrid spring coils + 6" of various foam layers (1.5lb - 2.4lb density)
  • Medium or Firm

Background:

• I’m a 5’3" 140lb female, typically side / stomach sleeper. Trying to sleep on my back more
  • Partner is a 5’7" 165lb male, typically back sleeper, occasionally side sleeper. Has scoliosis
  • We both commute via car a lot to/from work & work primarily at desks, so support is as important to us as comfort

Current Bed
Been sleeping on a Sealy Posturepedic Response Performance Cooper Mountain IV Plush Pillow Top for the last 6 years. It has suffered from severe sinking & indentations starting around 6 months in. We have had bad back pain as a result. We have regretted the plush pillow top for a few years, and generally find that we have reduced back pain (lumbar and thoracic) after sleeping on medium to firm mattresses, compared to the constant tossing and turning on our current one.

Details

• From store room tests, we’ve identified a firm support layer and medium comfort layer are likely ideal for us
  • We have always had spring coil mattresses but are very interested in latex. We slept on a latex mattress recently for a few nights and had the best time sleep we’ve had in…a long time. Plus all the benefits we’ve read here!
  • Heat retention is a concern for us, so we are weary of less breathable foams
  • Looking for lower back/lumbar support for both of us.

HELP!

1. Based on what we mentioned, do you see a benefit to the fully latex vs. coil & foam hybrid for our needs?
  2. What firmness level may be best to try out for the type of sleepers we are with back pain considering the construction of the mattresses we identified?
  3. Our foundation is a wood box spring with slats 4" apart - we’ve read mixed responses on the foundation needs - would this be sufficient for either of the mattresses we identified?

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

-D

Hi Danid and thanks for the inquiry! We’re not really the pushy type of salespeople, so I’m not going to push the Luxerion on you, but I’m explain to explain some of the benefits of each type of mattress so you can make a more informed decision on this. Latex and coil hybrids typically last 10-15 years and all-latex mattresses typically last 15-20 years. All-latex mattresses offer a much finer degree of adjustability than latex and coil hybrids do. All-latex mattresses can be adjusted to be slightly softer, moderately softer, much softer, or slightly firmer, moderately firmer, much firmer. You can increase the pressure relief slightly, moderately, or vastly. You can increase the back support slightly, moderately, or vastly. Since latex and coil hybrids normally have only 2 components (3” of latex and the coils) you really have limited options to adjust the mattress, and any change that is made is normally a big change. Not everyone needs the level of adjustability that the all-latex mattress offers. As such, customers will choose latex and coil hybrids if they’re 250 pounds or less; like the feel of a latex and coil hybrid; want a mattress with more edge support than all-latex mattresses; like the lower price point; and / or want to retain some of the feel of a standard spring mattress while getting some of the benefits of latex.

If you choose the Luxerion, I think the medium setup should be ideal. You might want to request in the comments section at checkout that you want us to split your layers, just in case one of you wants to change your side of the mattress without affecting your partner’s side. If all of your layers are split, you will always be able to adjust your side without affecting your partner’s side and vice versa, and you’ll have that option for the entire 20 year lifespan of the mattress. Additionally, the mattress will be easier to assemble, easier to move if needed, easier to do any layers exchanges if needed, and easier to return if needed. There really are no downsides to having all split layers. Of course this is absolutely your mattress, and whatever you’d like to do is perfectly fine with us!

Regarding the foundation, I definitely recommend replacing it or getting a 1/2" piece of plywood to put between the mattress and foundation.

2 Likes

Buy both and try at the same time