Suffer From Chronic Lyme Disease, Chronic Fatigue and Adrenal Fatigue

Hello,
Both my husband and I suffer from back an neck pain and body aches, we have chronic lyme disease & adrenal fatigue.
Sleep is important to us.

We have been sleeping on a 15 year old pillow top bed Simmons Beautyrest Opal and its too soft.

We like the firmness of the Tempur Contour Elite, but people have stated its toxic.

We spend lots of money monthly treating our lyme and cant figure out how to pay for a good quality bed of $3000 plus around 1600 for adjustable head and possible feet.

we need a bed firm, and helps us sleep deeper, and hits our pressure points in body, and recommendations on beds that can do all this without paying over $3000 for a king?

All your help is appreciated.

We havent slept decent for over a year and our bodies are paying for it. Thank you

Hi Kaydee,

Unfortunately I can’t help with your health issues (although I can certainly sympathize with the challenges you are facing) or how they may affect your choice of a suitable mattress but I can certainly help with “how” to choose.

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), any specific health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

There is also a lot more information in post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how safe is safe enough for me” and that can help you decide on the type of materials and components you are most comfortable having in your mattress or on the certifications for harmful substances and VOC’s that may be important to you. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

Once you reach step 3 in the tutorial if you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Does this type of bed seem good for us for what we are looking for? Is the make good? Is it over priced?

The company states This is what I would recommend for your side:

Talalay Soft

Dunlop Medium

Dunlop Firm

Dunlop XFirm

For your husband:

Talalay Medium

Dunlop Medium

Dunlop Firm

Dunlop XFirm

The Talalay top layers will provide some cushion for your hips and shoulders while side sleeping, while the base layers will provide support. You can always increase support when you get the mattress home by simply rotating the layers around.

The price of 2 twinxl mattress is $3390.

Hi KayDee,

I don’t know if you have tested this mattress in person to confirm that it’s a good “match” for you but when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else in terms of firmness, “comfort”, or PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the type and quality of all the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label so I would always make sure that you are able to find out the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components in a mattress to the quality/durability guidelines here and confirm that there are no lower quality materials or obvious weak links in a mattress that would compromise the durability and useful life of a mattress and would have a very high risk that you would need to buy a new mattress much too quickly relative to the price you paid.

As you hopefully know from reading the previous links … latex is the most durable of all the foam materials so there are certainly no lower quality materials or weak links in your mattress that would compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress.

While the price of a mattress is certainly one of the more important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase … there are many other parts to the “value” of a mattress purchase as well and unfortunately there isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” value because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that may be more or less important parts of each person’s personal value equation that may be very different from someone else. The “value” of a mattress purchase is also relative to the other finalists you are considering or to the other mattresses that are available to you in your area or online (if you are also looking at online options). There are many reasons that a mattress that may be “good value” for one person may not be worth considering for someone else.

I don’t know the blend of latex that is in the mattress you are looking at or the layer thicknesses but assuming that the Dunlop layers are 100% natural and the Talalay layer is blended and all the layers are 3" thick and that it has a wool quilted cotton cover then there would certainly be other similar mattresses that are more than you are looking at and there would be others that are less as well.

Phoenix