Summertime Blankets

I’m awaiting arrival of my new adjustable bases before I assemble my latex mattress and since we are going from queen to king size I had to repurchase most of my bedding. I’ve been using a Vellux blanket pretty much year round for quite some time and I did buy a new king sized one but it’s still in the packaging and I’m keeping the receipt and debating about returning it because I’m wondering if there are better options for all seasons blankets that breathe better during the warmer/more humid months.

Seems like the vellux blankets are nylon which aren’t known for being very breathable, what do you use for a blanket during the warm and humid summer?

Hi jermy4,

According to the Costco description here and here the Vellux blankets are polyester.

Hopefully some of the other forum members will see your post and share their feedback about the blankets they are using since there isn’t a blanket thread in the forum (although there is a reference topic about sheets and different types of fibers and fabrics here which would have some relevance to blankets as well).

I just asked my DH what kind of blankets we have (there isn’t a label on the blanket) and she told me they are also from Costco. They are also synthetic polyester.

I asked her “how do you expect us to have any credibility if we use synthetic polyester blankets?” and she laughed … and “promised” that she would change our blankets for cotton as soon as she “got around to it” :slight_smile:

Of course I was “appropriately disgusted” :).

Phoenix

The one that I bought says 100% nylon on insulating base, it’s the regular blanket not the plush or plush lux. Here is the one I purchased: http://www.jcpenney.com/for-the-home/college-life/college-dorm-bedding/vellux-blanket/prod.jump?ppId=1b381e7&searchTerm=vellux&catId=SearchResults&colorizedImg=0900631B81B872BAM.tif

I just checked my old one and it says the same thing and interesting enough it says queen/king on the tag so we could use the old one while I research new blankets a bit. I’ve been throwing it off my side of the bed lately because it’s a little bit hot for my tastes.

Phoenix your quote about credibility cracked me up, we’re not going to judge your blanket choices.

I was looking at some of the organic cotton blankets at cozy pure but it’s hard to determine if I’d notice much difference in sleeping temperature to justify the added cost.

I bought an organic cotton matalasse blanket from CozyPure last year, not realizing just how very lightweight the blanket is. I do regret that I didn’t buy a king size blanket for my queen size bed, since after shrinkage there’s very little of the blanket that hangs over the edge of the bed. Those who want nothing but “organic” might think it worth the cost for that factor alone, and it’s certainly very soft and well made.

I’ve found that a good flat flannel sheet provides as much benefit in sleeping temperature for me, and maintained its size much better when washed. Both items are good quality 100% cotton, with the flannel sheet being a much more economical option.
I bought a very good quality Supima cotton flannel sheet from Garnet Hill - still not “cheap”, but not as expensive as the blanket.

I’m a very heat sensitive sleeper and I just grabbed some thin 100% cotton blankets from Walmart years ago. I spend more on sheets because they actually touch your body. But a blanket is just something you throw over the top of the sheet to keep you a little warmer. The three or four cheap cotton blankets I have now are actually left over from when I used to buy all cheap bedding. As I spending more and more on bedding, upgrading those blankets have just never been a priority. Those old blankets work fine.

In the summer I use cotton or bamboo sheets. In the winter I use cotton flannel sheets. But I just use those cotton blankets all year.

Oh wait, I did buy a very nice washable wool blanket from, The company was called Pendleton. But I only use it maybe six weeks a year, on top of the cotton blanket, during the dead of winter. I shopped around a lot for that thing. And for the quality I got, it was very inexpensive.

EDIT: they may have changed it some because ai but it a long time ago, this is pretty close to the wool blanket ai bought Pendleton ECO-WISE WOOL SOLID BLANKET

Any sort of polyester or nylon is not going to breathe at all - (but I am laughing at Phoenix and the fact that I also still have several hanging around here for the grandkids to pile up with) The make me hot.

A loosely woven cotton blanket has long been a staple here - they make additional thermal layers in winter with a comforter and they are airy in hot summer. A plain old flannel sheet is a very good answer as well.
We use our wool comforter all year 'round here in PNW, but for summer I use a lightweight percale duvet cover vs flannel in winter. On the five or six days a year that the temp clears 90 - I can switch to an all cotton quilt or the light blanket, but the sheet works… If you really want cool, go linen for sheets and a cotton or linen voile blanket.

[quote=“SallyS” post=38111]Any sort of polyester or nylon is not going to breathe at all - (but I am laughing at Phoenix and the fact that I also still have several hanging around here for the grandkids to pile up with) The make me hot.

A loosely woven cotton blanket has long been a staple here - they make additional thermal layers in winter with a comforter and they are airy in hot summer. A plain old flannel sheet is a very good answer as well.
We use our wool comforter all year 'round here in PNW, but for summer I use a lightweight percale duvet cover vs flannel in winter. On the five or six days a year that the temp clears 90 - I can switch to an all cotton quilt or the light blanket, but the sheet works… If you really want cool, go linen for sheets and a cotton or linen voile blanket.[/quote]

Pretty much spot on. I ended up taking the unopened Vellux blanket back to JCPenney and I found a closeout 100% organic cotton blanket in king size at Target that is much cooler for me. It wasn’t a bad deal either at $34 (marked down from $48) and I even had a $5 gift card to boot. It’s somewhat of an ugly pattern but I don’t really care all that much.