Taking the plunge with my very first memory foam mattress purchase - A Select Foam Cirrus Luxe-ES 13

To All,

I have to tell you I feel very fortunate to have discovered www.themattressunderground.com. Up until this weekend I was on the cusp of purchasing a memory foam mattress from COSTCO called the Sleep Science ARA - a 13" memory foam mattress made by South Bay. I have known for many years how expensive the Tempur-pedic mattresses are and never could have imagined spending $4,000 to $6,000 for a new bed. I came across this Sleep Science model on Costco’s website and thought, “Hey!, this is a great value at only $1399.” Boy was I grateful with what I learned in reading through your blogs.

Here’s my story. For the last 12 years I’ve been sleeping on a Double Euro pillowtop Chatam and Wells innerspring mattress I purchased in Las Vegas for about $1200. Well the comfort layers in the pillowtop have been breaking down and a valley sits in my queen mattress. Gradually, my back has been aching more and more each morning. I talked to my chiropractor and he recommended I try a memory foam mattress. I told him I like it plush but with underlying support because I have pronounced curvature in my lower back. Well, my chiropractor recommended I try the Tempur-pedic Cloud line, because they tend to have soft top layers and density more supportive middle layers. I was concerned off the bat because I know how expensive the Tempur-pedics run. Well, I tested all the Clouds and absolutely love the Cloud Lux, but it runs $3600 plus tax without a foundation. I just couldn’t afford that. This is when I started searching (before I knew about this forum) online for alternatives and came across the Costco mattress noted above. I was just about to make the online purchase when I came across your mattress forum while doing a search on South Bay. South Bay was mentioned on a blog when I did a GOOGLE search. I was so surprised what I discovered about how the foams are made in China and how the quality cannot be guaranteed, etc.

I continued reading other blogs, learning more and more about memory foam properties, densities, how mattresses are assembled, natural versus petroleum foams, gel infusions, and on and on. There is so much to learn! Then I came across Select Foam and noted that they were listed as a preferred retailer/manufacturer. Well, I went to there website and found they make a Cirrus Luxe-ES 13 which mimics the Cloud Lux by Tempur-pedic, but for $1500 less.

Naturally, I was pleased. I made called to the 1-800 and spent about an hour talking with Chris. He was very knowledgeable and patient with my questions. I decided to go ahead and make a purchase, taking a leap of faith that this mattress will be very similar to the Cloud Lux, but at much less cost for similar quality…just not the “brand name”.

Now, I am a bit nervous about a couple differences in the Cloud Lux and the Cirrus Luxe-ES 13. First, the Select Foams are soy based, not petroleum based like Tempur-pedics. Secondly, the Select Foams are gel infused and Tempur-pedics are not, but I’ve heard they recently purchased Serta to gain the iComfort technology in which they use gel infused foams. Thirdly, I noted the Select foam support layer is 8 lbs density but Tempur-pedics is 7 lbs. Lastly, the information on the base on the Select Foam mattress was not disclosed, so I am hoping it’s acceptable and of equivalent quality.

I hope I made a good decision. Intuitively, I feel I did make a good buy and I have this forum to thank for steering in a new, better informed direction. Once I have the mattress and are using in a few months I’ll report back!

Thanks again for all the knowledge and advice you share with consumers like I.

Paul

Hi archpaul,

Congratulations on your new mattress first of all … I think you made a great choice and as you know I think highly of Select foam.

As to some of your questions …

Polyurethane foams uses two main chemicals which are a polyol and an isocyanate. With the “soy based” foams (and other plant oil polyuol replacements) … they have replaced some of the petrochemical polyols with a plant oil based alternative which is a step in the direction of more sustainable products. Usually the percentage of the polyols that have been replaced is under 20%. They are generally considered a more desirable form of polyurethane foam and are becoming much more common because while they have similar properties and durability … the raw materials come from a more sustainable source.

All mattress manufacturers already have access to the gel memory foam technology used in the iComfort and it is used by many manufacturers. iComfort gel memory foams are made by another company called Sleep Innovations (actually their foam pouring division called Advanced Urethane Technologies) which also supplies many other manufacturers. The better gel memory foams are more durable than the memory foam than they are infused in (if they have been added as a liquid) and they can have some cooling benefits compared to some other types of memory foam and can have a higher support factor than some other types of memory foam as well (the gel can add to the support qualities of the memory foam).

These would both be extra high density memory foams with similar performance although the Select foam version is a little higher density than the Tempurpedic. Select foam uses slightly different layering to compensate for any differences in the feel and performance of their foams so that the end result is as close as possible to the feel and performance of Tempurpedics they are comparable with. They have actually tested their mattresses against the Tempurpedics they compare them with using side by side customer feedback in their store as well as their own testing and the quality of the materials they use is similar or better.

They use a high quality base layer and if you ask they will tell you the density. I believe it is between 2.1 lbs and 2.5 lbs depending on the mattress but they would be the ones that could give you more accurate information about this.

Hope that answers all your questions (even though they could give you better answers than I could) and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve slept on it for a while.

Phoenix