TALALAY Latex

My husband and I can never agree on mattresses because he likes a soft mattress and I like a firm mattress. I have some lower back issues-thin, my husband is average size slightly overweight. Our last bed was from Long’s Bedding (Cambridge collection) which I liked at first but I guess thought it formed what seemed to be body impressions/sags too early on. Anyway-wondering about the St. Claire Kluft Mattress (all latex). When I saw the advice about not getting more than an inch or so of material above the latex- I wondered. This bed has 1/4 inch cotton felt top and under that is 3" Tallay Latex which I am told is 1.8 or 1.9 density. Is that a density that will wear well? .Should I find out the ILD of the Talley layer to see if it will be too cushy? to see how well it will wear?Then under that is 1 1/2" flex latex , 3" dunlop latex (2.1 density) and another 1 1/2 flex latex. The flex latex is combo of hd latex and viscous foam (2 density). Is the support section going to be supportive enough?

Hi spindst,

The suggestion is more to avoid more than “about an inch or so” of lower quality or unknown material above the latex because it could become a weak link in the mattress … not to avoid other materials over latex in general which would be more of a preference choice.

Outside of testing a mattress to make sure that it’s a good choice for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences … the most important part of a mattress purchase is making sure you know the type and quality of all the materials in a mattress (see here) so you can identify any potential weak links in the mattress and also make more meaningful comparisons with other similar mattresses. If you can find out all the specifics of the Kluft you are looking at and post them on the forum I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials or help you identify any potential weak links in the mattress.

You are getting some misinformation here because latex doesn’t come in densities as low as what you are mentioning (see here for some examples of both 100% natural Dunlop and blended Talalay) and they are more likely to be polyfoam densities than latex densities. If you look at the law tag on the mattress you will quickly be able to find out if the mattress includes any polyfoam.

I would also make sure you’ve read the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines in one place that will help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Phoenix

Thanks for all. I just looked at the tag on the mattress and its says:
Polyurethane Foam Pad (?) 63%, Latex 28%, Visco 8%, Fiber 1%

Good god- Are they misrepresenting their product? Because where’s the Talalay or the Dunlop?

Hi spindst,

If they are claiming that it’s an all latex mattress or even a mostly latex mattress then they certainly are. The law tag lists the materials by weight and since the latex is heavier than the polyfoam it would be an even lower percentage based on the thickness of the mattress.

Phoenix