Talalay or Dunlop for comfort layer ? Advice please...

My wife and I are long overdue for a new mattress. Given our price range ($900ish), I believe I’ve narrowed it down to two options. Both are from trusted members of this site. One is a mattress using 6" of natural Dunlop (firm 38ild) with 2" of natural Talalay (soft 18 ild) for the comport layer. The other uses 6" of firm natural Dunlop (ild?) for the support layer and 2" of soft natural Dunlop (ild?) for the comfort layer. I weigh 185 lbs and my wife weighs 195 lbs. We are both side sleepers, but do end up on our stomachs/backs periodically. My wife also suffers from hip bursitis and fibromylagia. Neither one of us sleeps very well.

Unfortunately, we do not have the option to test out a latex mattress in person. Both companies offer very good return policies in the event we do not like it, but here’s hoping we won’t need to worry about it.

Looking for suggestions on which route we should go.

Thanks!

@cubby_fan71 - As for the differences between Dunlop and Talalay latex and in particular regarding their usage in the comfort layer of mattress I’d refer you to this TMU article: Mattress comfort layers - Latex foam. I believe that will address your question.

All the best,

• Bill

Hi cubby_fan71 and thanks for reaching out! I definitely agree with Sweet Dreams in that the Mattress Underground website and forums have an absolute abundance of information on latex and the differences between Talalay and Dunlop, and I always urge customers to use this resource as much as possible. Just to give you a quick summary, though, I normally recommend Talalay latex for at least one layer in the mattress (commonly the top layer) for anyone that has anything like fibromyalgia, shingles, chronic hip pain, chronic shoulder pain, bursitis, or anything where they’re sensitive to pressure, or for customers that just prefer the feel of Talalay.