Talalay vs. Blended Talalay

Hello Dewey,
You have told me that talalay will last longer than dunlop. I would like to hear from you about the differences of natural talalay vs. blended talalay as used in your mattresses. What differences can I expect in comfort, feel, support, body impressions, and longevity?
Thank you! Don Meyer

[color=black]Hello Don,

I’ll first touch on Talalay vs Dunlop processed latex. Originally we could not get our natural latex in Talalay, so we imported natural latex made in the Dunlop process by the container from Sri Lanka. We couldn’t help but notice that our Talalay Latex (blended) kept its shape and resiliency much better than the Dunlop.
As our natural latex mattress sales grew, we kept asking Talalay GlobalTalalay Global to consider making a 100% Natural Talalay. Finally in 2005 they did, and FloBeds was first in line. We have never looked back.
The Talalay Latex Process creates a more consistent and supple latex. Conversely, the Dunlop process creates a latex that in not as consistent and is stiffer. This is the reason some manufacturers choose to save money by using Dunlop on the bottom and Talalay on the top. The Dunlop on the bottom is not felt as much as the layer of Talalay on top. This is a way to save money, but the FloBeds Invention takes advantage of the sleeper’s ability to move a firmer layer up if your body needs a slightly firmer sleeping surface. This is why we are so famous for being able to get your mattress “Just Right”. We have even heard some folks selling Dunlop as a firmer mattress, but that makes no sense. Since all latex is measured in ILD (indention load deflection), a 32 ILD in Dunlop will take the same 32 pounds to compress 4 inches to 3 inches as a 32 ILD Talalay mattress core.
In July of 2009, while cleaning out the upper shelves at our Latex Shop, we found some latex cores that had been stored compressed for years. We wondered how dramatic the difference in resiliency would be and wanted to share the study with our customers…even we were surprised at the results.
In this video(yes its rather low quality from 2005) you will notice the latex core made using the Dunlop Process does not spring back like the Talalay it takes a set. We believe this same study happens in your bedroom every night. When you sleep in the same place year after year the Dunlop will not come back to it original shape after years of use. [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7USWVNvOMk[/video]

As for our Original Blended Talalay Latex vs our 100% Natural Talalay Latex Mattresses, the line I say just about every single day is; as far as look, touch, feel, performance, and warranty, the two are the same. It just comes down to what you want, in my opinion this is completely a personal preference.

For a more technical answer on the matter: .

The most recent Talalay Global testing demonstrates a modest 2.6% increase in natural latex softening, and a less than 1% increase in height loss of natural latex versus blended over 10 years.
100% Natural Latex is the best choice for those looking for a chemical-free bed, although we have found that off-gassing is NOT an issue with Blended Latex.

Perhaps a bit more on Talalay:
What is Talalay Latex?
Video: How FloBeds Talalay Latex is made[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2h4b0IP4E8[/video]
The Talalay method produces the finest latex available. The Talalay process steps:

1. Liquid rubber whipped into a foam and poured into a mold.
  2. When closed the mold has rods that go through the foamed rubber.
  3. A vacuum is placed on the mold, which removes air bubbles/pockets and distributes the liquid rubber evenly through the mold.
  4. CO2 is run through the rods, freezing the foamed rubber and locking in the consistency.
  5. Heat sent through the rods, providing even temperature and yielding a consistent latex cores without air pockets or uneven firmnesses.
  6. Impact test results indicate an amazingly low loss of 2-8%.
  7. Talalay latex is only made in two facilites worldwide: Latex International in Connecticut and Radium in The Netherlands.
  8. Unlike some competing products, our Talalay products contain no fillers or extenders. Only the components needed to convert the material from a liquid to a solid that lasts are added: soap, ammonia, zinc oxide and sulfur. The ammonia evaporates and the soap and zinc oxide are washed out. The sulfur is needed to cure the product so that it bounces back after you sleep on it.
    What is Blended Talalay Latex?
    Talalay Global’s “classic talalay” is a blend of 30% natural rubber and 70% synthetic rubber (Styrene Butadiene Rubber or SBR).
    What is Natural Talalay Latex?
    Our 100% Natual Latex is made with the Talalay process. We have found the Talalay to be the purest and most consistant Natural Latex. Our FloBeds Natural Latex is produced using no fillers or shortcuts. It is made from 100% Latex Rubber from the Rubber Tree.
    It was a pleasure speaking with you this morning, if you have any further questions or concerns feel free to reach out to me here, or at my desk. Im here for you.
    Dewey Turner
    1-800-356-2337
    FloBeds Latex Mattress