TandL's Shopping Thread

What were are looking for? At this point not sure. Memory Foam, Latex, Natural, Organic, everything is still a bit vague at this point but I hope the more homework I do the clearer the picture will become. My thoughts are that with as many variables and options that are out there we are bound to make the wrong decision but at least it will be a conscious one.

Our Personal Preferences

[i]Microclimate, breathability and temperature control (perhaps the most important of the preferences): This didnā€™t seem to be too much of a concern with either one of us, and I am not sure exactly why. It could be do to the fact that we live in New England and our climate fluctuates based on the season so preferring a cooler mattress just gave us a sense that it would make our winters colder instead of summers cooler. We tend to actually ā€œsleepā€ warmer in the winter then we do in the summer, basically I find myself waking up in a sweat more so during the winter months and chilled in the summer, I guess it is what we prefer. We always control this with either an air conditioner or electric blanket and never have related this to the performance of any of our past preferences in mattresses. So this didnā€™t weigh to highly on our scale and just the fact that many of the manufacturers out there were making some effort to moderate it seemed good enough to us, whether it was in the fabric of the liner, the shape of the foam, or some type of gel that they may be using was enough to satisfy this.

Slow or fast response and where in the range you prefer: We seemed to prefer a mid range response not too fast and not too slow. We liked the fact that some memory foams allowed us to sink and would cradle us but when we tried to flip it felt like we had to heave our hips to get out of the hole and this was an undesirable feeling. Also, the feeling of not being able to get out of the hole was also very undesirable and was mainly experienced with memory foams. That feeling of wanting to reach for a grab handle on the wall when getting out of bed was another feeling that we would not rather experience and was common with some memory foams that we tried and not so with the latex models. Latex was appealing in a sense, mainly from its elasticity property and how the material actually assisted with your ability to flip and get out/off of it when you wake. All these characteristics ranked high in our preference of materials.

Sleeping ā€œonā€ vs ā€œinā€ the mattress: This was also a factor and I am not sure if either ā€œonā€ or ā€œinā€ was a good term to describe the feel we were looking for. I think ā€œa part ofā€ best describes what we are trying to achieve. A slow limited amount of sink with a quick response to fill in our void and a bit of a bounce to assist with our flip to be exact.

Durability of materials in the mattress: To me personally this ranked real high. Its ranks real high with everything I purchase whether its with automobiles, tools, or even shoes and sneakers. This may be a little bit of a personality trait with me and might be my biggest decision making flaw when it comes to selecting a mattress and that I may sacrifice comfort for durability in my decision and I realize this and tried to keep this in perspective, mainly for consideration for my partner who is leaving the decision making entirely up to me.

Durability of construction (such as one or two sided): This was another factor that didnā€™t way highly on our scale. I found this factor rather tough to determine without actually be able to experience it. We are relying solely on the input of others, I guess its partly due to the fact we have chosen to go with a online vendor and not someone who is local. The other part is that we ruled out the ones that we were able to determine were not durable and of the best value was enough to satisfy this.

Quality and performance of materials and construction: This too was difficult for me to determine considering the mattress that we will choose will be one that we will not be able to test out. This was based solely on my research here at themattressunderground.com and my ability to interpret what I had been reading in terms of various foams (latex, poly, memory), their compositions (such as density and ILD), and covers (cotton, bamboo, aloe).

Ability to open the mattress and exchange layers or make changes after purchase: This was big, its a bit of a insurance policy to me. This provides me with the confidence in my decision, even if my choices of comfort layers are not what I expected in pressure relief and posture alignment, im confident that with this ability I will always have options to make the changes to get it right if necessary.

Warranty and warranty exclusions (which are often more important then the warranty itself): I didnā€™t put to much time or effort into the research of this. I feel that warranties are only as good as the company who is willing to stand behind them. If I choose a company that values their customer base and takes pride in their product and their reputation then I have a better chance of them fulfilling their obligation. So I prefer to rely more on the emphasis of my choice of manufacturer/retailer then the actual warranty itself.

Budget limitations and range: This was important considering that I not only would have to purchase a mattress but I would also have to purchase a frame, a foundation, pillows, a cover, sheets and a bedspread. But my range of 1500 for a mattress and 2000 for everything seemed to give me plenty of options.

Price vs quality and value of materials: Iā€™m not sure exactly how to answer this one but I am quite confident that I already have justified this in some of my answers above. If not this may be best answered after my choice endures the test of time.

Mattress only or foundation included: Not a factor ā€¦ I was somewhat specific in my needs in a foundation and wasnā€™t allowed many variables in my selection. It had to be a KD and it needed to be around 8 inches tall. So whether on not the company offered one with my purchase didnā€™t effect my decision, there were only one or two that fit my likings.

Motion separation with small and large movements: Not a real major factor with either one of us at the moment neither is bothered by the other. Hopefully my new choice will not bring this into consideration, is my only concern. I would assume that we are both relatively heavy sleepers and not bothered by the others motions and any type of foam whether it be latex or memory should a relatively good job at not creating this.

Natural materials vs synthetic: Another non factor to meā€¦ Just that the materials were mainly made in the USA and that I seen they were Certi-Pure or Oeko-Tex certified was enough to pacify this aspect.
The type of cover and quilting (if any) you prefer: I didnā€™t really have a preference, though I am aware that it may play a larger role in its durability than I may anticipate. This is another facet that I am willing to assume some risk with and hopefully its not the weak link.

The ease of movement or movement restriction on the mattress for changing position and ā€œother activitiesā€: This was a factor in my decision and rather important I included it in one of my answers above and hopefully it will get addressed in my choice of comfort layers.

Overall ā€œfeelā€ (such as the difference between combinations that include the ā€œfeelā€ of innersprings and/or different types of foam in the comfort or support layers): I didnā€™t rank this to high in my decision knowing that the actual mattress I will choose would be one that I would not be able to feel. More of my time and effort was put into the factors of value, durability, and what materials could possibly provide us with the best pressure relief, posture, and alignment.

Information

Thread Link - TOPIC: Need Helpā€¦memory foam
(Had to copy this link this person seems right on my path of purchase.)
Thread Link - Properties of different types of foams
Thread Link - Bob-O-Pedic
Thread Link - Mattress Break In

Thread Link - Pillows
Thread Link - Sheets
Thread Link - Mattress Covers

Thread Link - Fine Tuning A Mattress
Thread Link - Art And Science Of Mattress Construction

Purchases

So Far: (This list will be subject to change)

Mattress
Brooklyn Bedding - 14" Aloe Alexis (Custom - Adele) - $1299.00
(top->bottom):
100% Natural Cotton & Aloe Mattress Cover,
1" Chemical Free Wool & BreathCool Poly Foam,
(1) 3" Layer 4lb Gel Foam (In replace of a layer of latex)
(1) 3" Layers of Talalay Latex 28 ILD,
7" of 2.17lb BB HD Foam Core.

Frame
Serta 9 Leg Low Profile - $112.00

Foundation
Mattress.net KD Foundation (59.5 x 8 x 79.5) - $249.00

Accessories
url=http://www.brooklynbedding.com/accessories/pillows/shredded-latex-pillow Brooklyn Bedding Shredded Latex Pillows [/url]
url=https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GURDZ4U/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1Ultimate Dreams Shredded Latex/Memory Foam Combo Pillow [/url] - $23.99
url=https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00COUSFC4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Ultimate Dreams Shredded Gel Memory Foam Pillow[/url] - $29.99
Malouf Sleep Tite Mattress Protector
Eddie Bauer Down Alternative Classic Comforter (Light Warmth) - $49.99
Madison Park Newport Cotton 4-piece Duvet Cover Set - $89.99

Hi TandL,

I would tend to raise the foundation off the floor to allow for better air circulation.

I think that the most helpful information you will find is either your own personal experience (which I understand will be limited because of time restrictions) or more detailed and ā€œinteractiveā€ conversations on the phone with various online retailers or manufacturers which will do a lot to ā€œfill in the gapsā€ between the more ā€œdryā€ and theoretical knowledge you read here and information that is more ā€œexperientialā€ and specific to your own circumstances and criteria.

I would at least do enough testing to find out which materials you tend to prefer ā€¦ in the comfort layers especially.

With your shoulder ā€¦ you will need a top layer that is soft enough to ā€œallowā€ your shoulders to sink in ā€œjust enoughā€ to relieve pressure there without compromising alignment either on your side or especially your back. Your choice of pillow (which will also play a significant role in the pressure you feel on your shoulders) will also be important.

Iā€™m looking forward to your updates and finding out what you end up with. You certainly have many good options available to you and of course if you have any specific questions along the way feel free to post them here.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix your input.

Im gonna give it my best effort to get the foundation off the floor (carpet). Ill get a better idea on what I can and cant do once I have an opportunity to pull the bed apart.

Well we went west today, opposite direction of Worley Beds and got to briefly lay on some Memory Foam mattresses at Sleepys. Out time was brief cause T had to be at work so we popped in quick to get a quick feel. We laid on the Tempur pedic line, Cloud, Cloud Lux, Cloud Supreme.

One of them was too soft, im gonna assume it was the Cloud Supreme, when we laid it we sank right into and left quite an impression, we both struggled to get out of the whole we created and both kinda wrinkled our nose at it like it was just a bit too soft. It felt as if we were laying in it as opposed to laying on it.

The one we both liked was the Cloud Luxe, this one felt fairly firm, when we laid down and we both kinda just sank into it slowly. It felt firm enough like it would support us, but soft enough where we noticed it. When we got up the impression filled behind us.

Ive been looking around at the various vendors that keep coming up and one that I tend to keep going back too is Novosbed. he does a good job as far as I can tell comparing his to others that are more readily available. His prices seem reasonable and I have seen him contributing here in the forum. I just need to figure out which one.

The other im looking into is the Ultimate dreams 13 inch for sale on amazonā€¦I like the 13 inch thickness and would be nice to have to make up the difference height if I have no other choice but to rest the foundation on the floor.

Hi TandL,

The Tempurpedic Cloud is one of the two softest mattresses they make (along with the soft version of the Allura) so if you plan to use one of the Tempurpedics as a reference point I would make sure you clarify which model you tested. The Cloud Luxe is rated as being softer than the Cloud Supreme.

Novosbed and Dreamfoam are both included in the list of the better quality/value online memory foam manufacturers and retailers in post #12 here and both of them (and most of the others as well) will give you good information about more widely available memory foam mattresses that are reasonable approximations for the mattresses they sell that you can use as reference points and will also help you decide which of their mattresses may be the best match for your needs and preferences when you talk with them.

Phoenix

I very well may have got the two confused ā€¦ I knew it as soon as we walked out of the store. But thatā€™s ok the one thing I was able to figure out which was of the greatest importance is that we are both on the same page as far as preference is concerned so my likings are the same as hers. This makes things easy now that I can shop and use my judgment when I do make the purchase. She has no problem leaving this decision solely up to me, and reassured her with the fact that I will be footing the bill. Ill get this right, and considering what we are sleeping on now is the equivalent to a high end dish sponge, anything will be a drastic improvement.

Thanks for pointing out post # 12 ā€¦ I did come across a list it wasnā€™t that one though. Looks like I got some more work to do!!

Hi TandL,

Itā€™s one of the links in the tutorial post which may also be helpful and worth reading :slight_smile:

Phoenix.

I always put the carriage in front of the horse and at the stage of the game Iā€™m at everything here is foreign (terminology). I must admit Quite the display of patience you exhibit here on this site.

Thanks again ā€¦

L

Bye the way this is L (save you some typing) ā€¦ T wont be in the picture until after the purchase. :wink:

I guess I really need to take a step back a bit and begin to figure out what I need and what I need to do to get my current bed to be able to accommodate a new mattress weather it be a latex hybrid (?) or a memory foam. I know I need a foundation and a relatively sturdy one at that. The best fit for me would either be a KD style or a split considering I live in a second floor apartment of a 100 year old house. I initially considered sitting it on the floor but now im second guessing it.

I read through your foundation thread and was able to pull out a couple of manufacturers of KD foundations. I realize that the slat space makes a difference and that it should be less then 3 inches. What im confused with is the height and application of the foundation of a low profile vs a regular profile foundation.

If I were to go with a frame similar to the one pictured below would a low profile foundation be acceptable in this sort of application. I realize speaking with the manufacturer of the mattress that I choose would be best so to meet their warranty specifications.

Hi TandL,

Iā€™m still using the same greeting because that way if I ever have to search through any of my replies to you they will all show up on the same search :slight_smile:

If you decide to use the steel bedframe you pictured then you wonā€™t need the bedlegs which would attach directly to the foundation. Either one will provide good support for the foundation.

If you end up with a mattress that uses latex as the support core then the 3" or less spacing in between the slats would be especially important. If you end up with a mattress that uses polyfoam as the base layer then a little wider wold be OK although smaller spacing will still make a stronger and more evenly supportive foundation.

The height of the foundation that is best for you (regular or low profile) would depend on how high you want your sleeping surface to be and wonā€™t affect the support of your mattress. A slatted KD foundation would meet the warranty requirements of almost any manufacturer (with the exception of those that require their own foundation be purchased with the mattress).

Phoenix

Thanks again Phoenix

Well we made it out to Worley Beds today and got to try out some more beds. T started mattress hopping while I listened to the sale pitch. We got to lay around on some latex beds and boy what a difference like day and night from foam. As much as impressed I was with them T was stuck like glue to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe. I forced her to lay there for the duration easy twenty minutes. She was so pleases that she almost wanted us to work out a deal to take one home. Almost ā€¦ but not quite!

So I think mattresses that are similar will be the direction that I go inā€¦ I already found a few that claim that they are similar, so im gonna start to list them in my post above to make things a bit easier. Unfortunately ive been quite sick these past few days thus the time to go out and look at some mattresses.

Think gonna take this time to lift the bed and see what im looking to retro fit this with a new foundation.

Happy New Year too you also Phoenix

Really having a hard time understanding the 700.00 difference between these two beds. Iā€™m confident enough of both these two companies to say that the difference is somewhere in the materials that they use and not a markup. I remember reading in one of your articles Phoenix That 4lb foam is probably the lowest one should consider in a mattress. But it appears in beds similar to the cloud luxe that 4lb foam keeps popping up in the comfort layers. some im thinking its a must to duplicate the feel. The biggest difference is the 8lb gel foam support layer in the Cirrus so im assuming this is where the price difference comes in. SF doesnā€™t mention what they use for a Core/Base but Im assuming that its in the 2.17 to 2.5 range cause these numbers consistently keep popping up as I research. What im thinking is that the cirrus because of the amount of cooling foam they use could be categorized somewhat closer to the Breeze this justifying the extra money and putting the cirrus more or less in the same category as BB PureCool Luxe.

How am I making out Phoenix, Am I starting to grasp this stuff?..This is tuff stuff!

BB Cool Luxe ($1299) Compared to the Cloud Luxe
4-way Stretch Cotton Mattress Cover
3" 4lb Gel-Infused Memory Foam
2.5" 5lb Memory Foam
7.5" of 2.17lb BB HD Foam Core

Cirrus Luxe-ES ($1999) Compared to the Cloud Luxe
Washable Micro-Suede Coolmax Cover
2.5" 4lb soy SELECT-ESā„¢ gel memory foam
2" 8lb soy SELECT-HDā„¢ gel foam support layer
Polyurethane base, made extra-thick to provide a lifetime of support

BB PureCool Luxe ($1999) Compared to the Cloud Luxe Breeze
4-way Stretch Cotton Mattress Cover,
1.5" 5lb PureCoolā„¢ Memory Foam,
2" 4lb Gel Memory Foam,
2" 5lb Memory Foam,
7.5" 2.17lb BB HD Foam Core.

Hi TandL,

There are many factors involved in the price of a mattress but with two mattresses that are made by the same manufacturer the biggest difference would be the difference in the cost of the raw materials and the manufacturing of the mattress although mattresses in higher budget ranges also tend to have slightly higher margins as well. While higher density more durable materials are more costly than lower density less durable materials ā€¦ there are also other factors involved in the cost of materials that may have less to do with durability and more to do with the properties of a material that make it more attractive to some people (see post #6 here).

When you are comparing mattresses made by two different manufacturers or sold by different retailers then just like any two businesses that offer similar (but not the same) products ā€¦ differences in their raw material or component costs based on the quality or amount of materials, different production costs to make the mattress, different business and infrastructure costs, different business models and margins, different business volumes which can affect the cost of raw materials, the number of ā€œstepsā€ between the suppliers of the raw materials and the sale of the mattress, and the the cost of different options they provide before or after a purchase (such as return or exchange options), different pricing policies, different shipping costs, different product or service ā€œbonusesā€ that are included in a purchase, and any of the other normal differences between any two businesses will all lead to differences in how each business prices its products.

Some products may be more or less costly at one business while others may be more or less costly at the other but since nobody except the business itself has access to all this type of information ā€¦ there is really no way to compare two mattresses based on the detailed specifics of ā€œraw material costā€ alone except in very general terms so your own testing and/or more detailed conversations with each manufacturer about the relative benefits of each mattress or the materials they use based on the information they provide you (and why each material has the benefits it does) becomes more important than the specific details of the actual cost of the all materials themselves or relatively small differences in prices.

When you are down to final choices between ā€œgood and goodā€ then there isnā€™t a formula that you can use and ā€œbest judgementā€ based on your testing, your conversations and questions with each retailer or manufacturer, and the specifics of your personal value equation is the most effective way to choose. For example ā€¦ some people may place more ā€œvalueā€ in some properties of a mattress (such as sleeping temperature) than others because they have a much greater tendency to sleep warm so for someone like this, smaller differences between different types of gel foam mattresses or constructions and materials that have higher odds of sleeping cooler may make a more significant difference or justify a higher price than it would for someone who was unlikely to sleep warm on any mattress that they purchased and any additional cooling from more costly gel foam materials or different mattress covers wouldnā€™t be nearly as important. Another example would be motion separation because this may be very important to some couples who are disturbed by the motion of their partner while for those who sleep alone or those that the motion of a partner doesnā€™t affect them it would be less important and components that isolate motion more effectively may not be worth an extra cost.

All of the options you listed are good quality/value choices but once you are down to ā€œgood vs goodā€ then which one is ā€œbestā€ for you would depend on all the objective, subjective, and even intangible criteria of your personal value equation that were most important to you and ā€œjustifyā€ the cost of a mattress purchase. Again ā€¦ there is no ā€œformulaā€ that can determine ā€œvalueā€ down to the last detail or replace ā€œbest judgementā€ because there will always be some unknowns remaining in any mattress purchase that can only be answered by your own longer term personal experience.

In the end ā€¦ the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase boils down to three main factors.

The first is how well you sleep on a mattress and how well it ā€œmatchesā€ all the unique criteria that are most important to you. Quality of sleep based on PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is difficult to quantify or ā€œmeasureā€ but your own careful and objective testing with local mattresses or more detailed conversations with an online manufacturer in combination with testing local mattresses that they indicate are similar (if you canā€™t test a specific mattress before you buy it) along with any exchange or return options you have available if your choice turns out to be ā€œless than idealā€ are the best way to assess this.

The second is how long a mattress lasts and continues to provide you with the PPP and quality of sleep that was the reason you purchased it in the first place relative to the price you paid. Knowing the relative quality/durability of the materials and identifying any ā€œweak linkā€ in a mattress in terms of durability is the most effective way to assess this part of ā€œvalueā€. With your weight (over 200 lbs) ā€¦ minimizing or reducing the use of 4 lb memory foam in favor of higher density memory foam may be well worth considering. While 4 lb memory foam can be a preference for some people because it is often softer or faster responding than higher density memory foam ā€¦ this isnā€™t always the case and the tradeoff is it would be less durable than higher density memory foams. The closer to the sleeping surface it is the more this may be a factor in the relative durability of the mattress. You can read more about the different types of memory foam that are independent of density in post #9 here and there is more about the many factors that can contribute to the relative durability of a mattress in post #4 here and the other posts it links to.

After these then all the other parts of ā€œvalueā€ that are part of each personā€™s personal value equation (including return or exchange policies and the price) are also important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase but are secondary to suitability and durability because a mattress that isnā€™t a good match in terms of PPP and you canā€™t sleep well on it or a mattress that is a good match in terms of PPP initially but uses lower quality materials which lose their comfort and support too quickly relative to the price you paid would both have little ā€œvalueā€ for most people.

Phoenix

[quote]The first is how well you sleep on a mattress and how well it ā€œmatchesā€ all the unique criteria that are most important to you. Quality of sleep based on PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is difficult to quantify or ā€œmeasureā€ but your own careful and objective testing with local mattresses or more detailed conversations with an online manufacturer in combination with testing local mattresses that they indicate are similar (if you canā€™t test a specific mattress before you buy it) along with any exchange or return options you have available if your choice turns out to be ā€œless than idealā€ are the best way to assess this.

The second is how long a mattress lasts and continues to provide you with the PPP and quality of sleep that was the reason you purchased it in the first place relative to the price you paid. Knowing the relative quality/durability of the materials and identifying any ā€œweak linkā€ in a mattress in terms of durability is the most effective way to assess this part of ā€œvalueā€. With your weight (over 200 lbs) ā€¦ minimizing or reducing the use of 4 lb memory foam in favor of higher density memory foam may be well worth considering. While 4 lb memory foam can be a preference for some people because it is often softer or faster responding than higher density memory foam ā€¦ this isnā€™t always the case and the tradeoff is it would be less durable than higher density memory foams. The closer to the sleeping surface it is the more this may be a factor in the relative durability of the mattress. You can read more about the different types of memory foam that are independent of density in post #9 here and there is more about the many factors that can contribute to the relative durability of a mattress in post #4 here and the other posts it links to.[/quote]

After reading your last post I began to search around the net looking for mattresses of higher density comfort layers. My search lead my to Selectfoam.com, their website seemed to be pretty well laid out where they grouped their mattresses into three different categories which helped me comprehend the information a little bit better. Most of my research has been that of mattresses that compare to the Cloud Luxe and many rely on a 4lb foam in the comfort layers to achieve this plush feeling. Now that im beginning to get a better understanding of Density vs Feel and the fact that a 4lb foam may not provide me with the best of value in my price range (1000 - 1500.00).

I still have a feeling that I maybe going about this the wrong way, because I seem to be putting more of a focus at the moment on your second factor which is its durability as opposed to PPP. it just maybe the fact that I need to know and want to understand and unfortunately donā€™t have many resources in my immediate vicinity to do any real testing, or maybe I should have had a better understanding to target specific similar mattresses that I thought were of interest.

Well anywho!!!

Regalis HD 12"
1.5" 7.0lb (7.2lb)Soy SELECT-HDā„¢ Memory Foam
2.5" 5lb (5.3lb) Soy SELECTā„¢ Gel
color=#ff0000 [/color]
Micro-suede Coolmax Cover
(Compare this bed to the Tempur-Pedic RhapsodyBed and Rhapsody Breeze)

Conform Signature 12"
1.2" 5.3lb SELECTā„¢ gel memory foam
2.8" 5.3lb SELECTā„¢ Foam
color=#ff0000 [/color]
Stretch-knit CoolMax Cover
(The Conform Signatureā„¢ 12" has the same great look and feel of the Tempur-Pedic Contour Signatureā„¢, but with the Cool Sleeping Gel Foam experience of the Serta iComfortā„¢)

Phoenix is there anything you can add to further explain the two different combinations of comfort layers used in these mattresses? Would you also have any knowledge as to what the density is of the base that Selectfoam uses?

Is it fair to say that the combination of 7 and 5 in the comfort layers could possibly give me a softer feel then the 5.3 and 5.3?

Hi TandL,

4 lb memory foam can be a suitable choice if itā€™s used as part of a design that works well for you in terms of PPP but with your weight there would be a tradeoff in terms of durability (whether this was Tempurpedic or another manufacturer that used the same density memory foam). The closer to the top of a mattress the 4 lb memory foam is the more of an effect it would have on durability because the top layers of a mattress absorb more of the mechanical stress of sleeping and compression than the deeper layers. In other words ā€¦ 4 lb memory foam in the top two inches would generally be less durable than the same 2" of 4 lb memory foam underneath a higher density memory foam. Either way though ā€¦ if I had the choice of a more durable mattress that was less suitable in terms of PPP and a less durable mattress that was more suitable in terms of PPP ā€¦ within reason I would choose the less durable mattress (particularly if it had a lower cost) because the ā€œvalueā€ of good quality sleep would be more important to me than having a more durable mattress where I didnā€™t sleep as well. All of this is part of the considerations that would be part of your personal value equation.

Iā€™m not sure of the density of the base layers that Select Foam uses and it may be different with different mattresses but if memory serves me right I believe that at least some of them are 2.5 lb density but I would confirm this with them directly because specs can change and they will provide you with their current information if you ask them.

The Regalis will be similar to the Rhapsody in terms of itā€™s comfort and support and the Conform Signature will be similar to the Tempurpedic Contour Signature so you can get a good sense of each one by testing the equivalent Tempurpedic mattress. You can read a little more about the diferent ways that one mattress can match another in post #9 here but I would keep in mind that when the foams used are made by different manufacturers that the pressure relief/comfort and the support/alignment may be very similar but the ā€œfeelā€ of the mattresses may still be different because of the different characteristics of the different memory foams (response time, temperature sensitivity etc).

Phoenix

Lately I have been researching latex mattresses and we were able to feel a few of them out last time at Worley beds and wasnā€™t particularly confident that it would be a good choice for ā€˜usā€™. We liked the initial plush feel of the Cloud Luxe but I am not confident that a mattress of its caliber would be right for us in regards to PPP.

I have been consulting with a sales rep from an online reputable distributor about my concerns. (Iā€™m hesitant to relinquish them based on the fact that the mattress I was offered is not part of their line but they are willing to make an exception that Iā€™m not sure will be available to others.) The mattress originally consists of a quality HD base (I know the density but I donā€™t want to give away my source) and two 3 inch layers of talalay blend latex and I was offered the opportunity to swap a layer of talalay for a layer of foam. They do have a layer of gel foam in the 5lb range that could be placed in the top layer substitution of the latex.

So basically what I am considering from bottom to top would be a base of 2lbs or greater a 3 inch layer of latex (talalay) and a 3 inch layer of 5lb gel foam which was recommended by the distributor. This would be a mattress in the vicinity of 12-14 total inches which I am thinking would be best for our total body weight of almost 400 lbs. Am I opening up a new can of worms by doing this. I feel real confident that this would be a good combination for us.

They offer a range of latex ild from 44 all the way down to 14. Would there be an ideal range of ild to consider for the latex layer, they have already recommended to me a specific ild. Im just wondering if part of the range would not be recomeded.

Hi TandL,

The way you wrote your info, it sounds like you want to try to evaluate latex mattresses for PPP and you used a Cloud Luxe (and maybe others) to do so.

As best I know, the Tempurdedic Cloud Luxe has no latex in it at all, and is all memory foam/polyfoam base. It would not help you assess latex since itā€™s memory foam.

If on the other hand you meant youve tested both memory foam by way of the Cloud Lux and separately latex in different mattresses, and liked some of the qualities of each, then ignore this post :wink:

This statement from you is correctā€¦ We like qualities of both. Just not sure if mixing and matching latex with foam in the comfort layers are something that is advisable and the fact that I would if I am going into uncharted territories and dabbling in the realms of a DIY mattress.

I have come to terms that I will be buying a mattress online; I have actually selected the distributer I will be buying it from based on their customer service, reputation, and return policy. Now I just need to make a conscious decision on what I think best fits T and I. Now that I have this newly acquired knowledge I feel like I can figure out a close approximate based on some of the mattresses I have been able to test out in the stores. Also am considering the fact that we are larger framed people and this can play a factor on our choice at least when it comes to durability.

I am confident that the quality of the mattress will be of high caliber and Iā€™m confident that their customer service will steer me in a direction that will be in my best interest as far as PPP. So even if my selection is not the best at least I know that there are options for me after my purchase. I also realize that there is always a percentage of risk when buying a mattress no matter where you buy it from and the only way you can be sure is after you have had the ability to sleep on it for a reasonable about of time. So there will always be that shot in the dark feeling.

Iā€™ve done a fair amount of experimenting with different materialsā€¦ Wool, latex, polyfoam, of different variety and constructions. For what itā€™s worth, Iā€™d treat it as a process where you iterate to the perfect mattress, and be prepared that you may need to have a few mistaken purchases that donā€™t work out. I generally found / find it fun.

DIY is not even close to a sure thing, and if thereā€™s one thing Iā€™ve learned itā€™s that imagining the theory of how it ought to feel has rarely lined up with how it does feel. There are so many factors, some of which you could change if you were a professional and had an endless supply of materials and constructions to play with. Some things I thought would be amazing turned out horrible, and some things I thought would be rediculous turned out to be amazing, and some things I thought were amazing (in spite of having very good alignment) caused back pain (I actually think the particular combo allowed my muscles to relax ā€˜tooā€™ much, it was sooooo relaxing, but that allowed a certain 1 point in my back to tweak to an extremely painful outcome- that 1 point in my back has been subject of X-rays and mriā€™s due to cronic pain ā€¦ So even tho I found the most heavenly relaxing combo I could imagine, my body said no to it). In the end, Iā€™d describe the process as more or less simple trial and error.

To support you testing various things, Iā€™d suggest that you get modular components that let you swap layers, covers, materials. Donā€™t underestimate something as simple as the covering material / ticking something is in.

Hi TandL,

[quote]I have been consulting with a sales rep from an online reputable distributor about my concerns. (Iā€™m hesitant to relinquish them based on the fact that the mattress I was offered is not part of their line but they are willing to make an exception that Iā€™m not sure will be available to others.) The mattress originally consists of a quality HD base (I know the density but I donā€™t want to give away my source) and two 3 inch layers of talalay blend latex and I was offered the opportunity to swap a layer of talalay for a layer of foam. They do have a layer of gel foam in the 5lb range that could be placed in the top layer substitution of the latex.

So basically what I am considering from bottom to top would be a base of 2lbs or greater a 3 inch layer of latex (talalay) and a 3 inch layer of 5lb gel foam which was recommended by the distributor. This would be a mattress in the vicinity of 12-14 total inches which I am thinking would be best for our total body weight of almost 400 lbs. Am I opening up a new can of worms by doing this. I feel real confident that this would be a good combination for us.[/quote]

This sounds very similar to one of the options you would have with the Brooklyn Bedding Aloe Alexis here which would also give you the ability to exchange a layer if one of them needed to be firmer or softer (in case this isnā€™t an option in the one you are considering). They would all be good quality materials and would be suitable for higher weights.

SleepEz also has the option of using 5.5 lb memory foam to replace the top layer of latex in any of their latex mattresses and you would also retain the ability to exchange one of the layers if you needed to.

Other manufacturers may also offer similar options.

While this is mostly a matter of preference and PPP and the best way to know is your own testing or experience ā€¦ I would tend towards considerably firmer comfort layers than would be the ā€œnormā€ for lighter body types both because firmer layers are more durable than softer versions of the same material (all other things being equal) and because the odds are good that they would be more suitable for you as well. In most cases the manufacturer themselves would be the best source of guidance because they know they have more knowledge and experience with all the combinations and versions they offer than anyone else.

This is really a matter of preference and not a ā€œbetter worseā€ issue. There are many people who like combinations of memory foam with latex in various layer thicknesses or firmness levels better than either one of the other. Some like the memory foam over the latex and some may prefer a layer of memory foam under a layer of latex. Of course the ā€œdevil is in the detailsā€ because like many combinations of materials there a very wide variety of ā€œfeelsā€ that are possible and each combination may work well for one person and not the next. When you are in ā€œuncharted territoryā€ then the ability to exchange layers after a purchase may be an important part of your personal value equation and itā€™s good to see that this is something you are taking into account.

Phoenix

Thanks again phoenix ā€¦

This statement left me a little confused, mainly the part where you mentioned ā€œlighter body typesā€, did you mean to mention heavier body types which I would consider us to be in that category. Also you mention ā€œconsiderably firmerā€, and the ā€œnormā€ could you elaborate what you would consider to be the ā€œnormā€ in reference to latex and its ild and what you would consider ā€œconsiderably firmerā€. This would be greatly appreciated.