TandL's Shopping Thread

Brooklyn Bedding

(Our choice of retailer or manufacturer)

We have decided to go with Brooklyn Bedding who is a on line factory direct distributor. Over the past few weeks I have visited many websites and found theirs to be amongst the best and user friendly e-commerce bedding website I came across. Though I may be inexperienced at shopping for mattresses I do have some experience at shopping online. I have many other hobbies and interests that lead me to online forums and retailers who specialize in online sales. Many that have information that may not be up to date or miscategorized and this is a turn off to me and always has been my step one with online shopping. If the company who relies on selling products over the internet is not willing to put the time and money into their online store front and providing me the consumer with accurate up to date detailed information then I tend to want to pass right over them regardless of the quality of their product.

Variety in their selections of mattresses was another big factor when I was evaluating different online vendors I wanted to make sure that the company I was purchasing my product had a variety of mattresses to choose from. I wanted them to offer me both latex and memory foam for me to choose and I wanted them to have my choice of memory foam mattress as well as my choice in latex, which they do.

The prices of their mattress was also a concern their mattresses needed to all fall in a certain range that range for me was 1000 to 2000 dollar range which the majority of them did. I didn’t want to have to pay much more if I needed to exchange the one I purchased for another.

Chat is big, I wanted to be able to ask my questions as they popped into my head. Many sites have it but many do not utilize it like they do. This company did, they did so much that one of their reps (Carlos) new me on a first name basis. He knew me so well that just by my location and the way I addressed him he knew exactly who I was. When he felt like I had hit the wall in my decision he opened another door. He not only knew my preferences but he knew the preferences of my partner. I was made offers in my selection that I did not know was available to me based on the information I provided in reference to my likings and the likings of my partner. In my opinion this is a characteristic of a company that values and relies on their customers base.

We ordered the mattress on January 15 around 9 pm and Carlos walked me through the purchase to make sure I got all the information correct and the free extras. On January 16 at around noon time I received confirmation that the mattress had already shipped. This is a good example of what I consider to be great online customer service, one to three days and its out the door. I received tracking numbers on two boxes one box is around 120lbs and the second is approximately 20lbs. The use FedEx as a carrier not my personal preference in shipping companies so I m going to cross my fingers and hope it arrives ok.

(I have to put a good word in here for Carlos their online sales rep he really made the experience painless. He was great at answering my numerous questions. He had patience with me and always put forth this “no pressure” type demeanor. He answered my questions and not for one minute did I feel like I was dealing with a used car salesman. This tends to draw me into a sale and give me a sense of reassurance that I am doing the right thing. He listened to my concern, and remembered our conversations and when I began to experience paralysis on my decision of whether I should go with Visco or Latex he gave me just one more option Both. Not so much a hybrid where the core is poly and the comforts are latex but something I would refer to as a hybrid combo where one of the comfort layers were replaced with Visco. This was just the convincing that we needed to make our purchase.)

Hi TandL,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and insights into the reasons behind your final choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think your experience is a good example of the type of attentive, individualized, and overall great customer service that Brooklyn Bedding is known for!

Phoenix

Its the least I can do … I hope it to be a resource for others, though I’m not done yet.

I was tempted to chose the Aloe Adele but just went with the Alexis instead…I await your review as I may still buy the Adele for the guest room.
Ditto on the BB comments with Mario being the one who spoke with me - love that company.

Initial impression

The temps here in New England have been subzero for a few days, and the delivery was delayed a day due to a snow storm that passed through. The mattress sat overnight at one of its stops waiting for the roads to clear. The mattress was received today at 2pm approximately 7 days since we ordered it. The box was a bit beat up, but actually in better condition then I anticipated and no damage was done to the mattress itself.

When we finally got it up the stairs and unwrapped it the mattress was so cold that it appeared to have chilled the bedroom a bit. Cause of this we were under the impression that this mattress is gonna take a bit longer then norm to fully expand. The layer of gel foam actually appeared to have been frozen from the cold so we took some extra precautionary steps and unzipped the cover a bit and removed the layer of gel off the layer of latex so the latex and core could warm up a bit. It took a total of three hours to expand enough to fill the cover, once the latex was room temp we replaced the gel and zipped the cover.

The materials/construction are beautiful much better then we anticipated. This mattress is so much better looking in person then it appears in the photos or on their website. The cover is so soft and luxurious that it was a shame to cover it up. Finally after about 3.5 hours we got to lay on it and evaluate its feel. We were impressed, it really feels close to perfect, and exactly what we were hoping. Words could just not explain; it a little bit of pillow top, a bit of sink, some bounce, plenty of foam, we felt really confident with its first impression.

The pillows were a beautiful bonus, first impression was wow are these things heavy. They come with a nice rose pattern zipper cover and are filled rather high. I was concerned about these, I was convinced that much of the pain I experience from sleeping just might be caused by the choice of pillow I currently use and these felt really nice in terms of softness and support.

The Sleep Tite by Malouf protector mattress was lightweight with a thin plastic liner. It had a terry cloth type of fabric over the top and no protection on the sides. Really cant comment on this other then it appears that it will suffice with no regrets from us at least. The Duvet was nice according to T she was impressed with its looks and quality, its realy not my department but she seemed to be happy with it’s feel and the thread count. We also ran out and purchased a 50.00 Eddie Bauer Micro Fiber down alternative Duvet to go in the cover. Once again not much thought into this we are not relying on it for warmth, but more for its appeal, an electric blanket is a must for us. She was happy it was 90"x 90" and on sale at the local T. J. Max.

Hi TandL,

Thanks once again for some great feedback … and for the pictures.

It seems that once the “thaw” was over that you and your mattress have become “friends” very quickly :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Opinions Please!!!

It would be my most humble of opinions that it is a picture of someone laying on a mattress. :wink: :wink:

(Some help this post is, eh? :slight_smile: )

Congratulations!

Hi TandL,

I would echo dn’s comments :slight_smile:

You can’t really tell much from a single picture (or even several) because it doesn’t say what you feel on the mattress or have any reference points for comparison or the ability to see multiple angles or positions. A picture can be a help in deciding on alignment but isn’t something I would use by itself or put undue weight on.

From what little I can tell I don’t see any significant or major sagging but your experience and any “symptoms” on the mattress when you sleep on it and your own opinion would be a lot more important than ours!

Phoenix

TandL,

I would like to say thank you again for shopping with us at Brooklyn Bedding! We appreciate all the photos taken and also the time you took to describe the process as you unpacked your mattress.

All the reviews are greatly appreciated, Carlos would also like to extend his thanks!

I know you will enjoy the time spent with your new mattress. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Best Regards,

Mario Sevilla
Brooklyn Bedding
Sales Manager
480-323-8831

Thank you and glad you appreciate it.

You all (this includes you Phoenix) really made what was at first a rather uncertain choice to purchase a bed online, into a great experience. Even though the bed may not last forever the knowledge I have gained from this website and the customer service I received from Brooklyn Bedding will last a life time.

TandL

That is a picture of a 220 lb male bonding with his new mattress…

I couldn’t wait any longer…I bought another Mattress from Brooklyn Bedding.
The new one is Aloe Alexis with the top latex replaced with gel foam – making it the previous Aloe Adele.
Most of the guests I would have (Parents or in-laws) like memory foam so this seemed like a way to get both (I am a latex fan).

Carlos assisted me this time but the great service remained (Brooklyn Bedding has made a believer out of me). I can recommend this company for great products and service.

Thanks TandL for your comments…it made me recall which bed I needed for the guest room.

Hey thats awesome… I bet your going to find it appealing even though your a latex guy.

Hi jefmoody,

Congratulations … once again … on another great mattress choice :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Just a quick update. T and I have been sleeping on our new mattress for a about four nights. We (She) feel that our selection is just about perfect for us. T loves it so much that since the purchase, I considered maybe exchanging a layer for something a bit softer, T wont even engage in the conversation. I catch her stopping and staring at it from the doorway, like the thing is calling out to her. She has officially taken complete ownership over the new mattress, and has made it clear that any changes will have to be made on a new purchase, this one or its layers are not going anywhere.

T and her new mattress were like love at first site. Normally she has a hard time falling asleep and will stay awoke a good half hour to an hour after me, watching TV in bed. Unlike me she doesn’t normally experience any specific body pains other then the normal Frankenstein feeling when she arose from the old foam mattress. She bonded instantly, her first night she was out in under a minute, and I mean out. She has absolutely no complaints of any muscle soreness and has completely adjusted to the beds comfort level. She also loves her free shredded latex pillow that came with the mattress. So as far as the other half is concerned, we are good.

Me on the other hand, it has taken me just a bit more time to adjust. I have the usual shoulder soreness on the right shoulder and the tenderness in the left hip. I love the initial feel it is exactly what I anticipated and hoped for. When lying on my back I am super comfortable, the sink is just the right amount where I feel just a bit of pressure from the foam on my lower lumbar. It was the first thing I noticed. But when I am on my side I do notice me wanting to flip and wrestle with my pillow and get off the sore shoulder. My guess is that I would benefit from something just a tad bit softer, but I am thinking that if/when this mattress breaks in it should be perfect. I don’t wake with any new soreness but still feel the pressure in my shoulder and hip. If I were to compare my sleep to the old mattress I would say that the quality has been just about the same, up until today.

Last night I slept like rock! It was my night off and I was in bed by nine and T was still working. The house was a bit cold so I jumped in, fired up the E-blanket, popped on the discovery channel and in minutes I was out. I slept so sound I never heard her come home or jump in bed. I slept straight through to 8 am, that’s a solid 11 hours and arose refreshed and no Frankenstein feeling, I was so happy. I normally function on 5 or 6 hours; out of work at 12am, home by 1am, in bed by 1:30am, asleep by 2am, to wake for 7-8am. Once in a while I hit the wall, so its important that when I go out, I stay out, and awake refreshed, well I did.

One thing I did notice, was my pillow. My pillow when I wake up looks like it just got run over by a bus. When I compare it to T’s its like day and night I literally have to give it CPR to bring it back to its original shape, hers a quick fluff. My thoughts are the shredded latex pillow is not agreeing with me. I love the pillow and I am not taking anything away from its quality and comfort just saying that I don’t think its the right choice for me. It feels perfect when I am on my side but I guess when I flip onto my back the pillow rides up and causes my chin to touch my chest.

So, in my quest for the right pillow I ordered two more just like it from Dreamfoam on Amazon. Considering T is all set she let me choose the next two pillows. Well I went with a variety, I ordered one shredded gel foam and the other a shredded latex/gel foam combo (Hah! … Go Figure!). They should arrive sometime this week, so excited. If I had to make a wager I would bet the family dog on the combo.

Question: Is it advisable to rotate this mattress on occasion. I realize that it is one sided and should “Not’ be flipped, but me being old school it was always recommended. Common sense tells me 'No” and that once it breaks in that my side of the bed may be more prone fit me then her. Just wondering?

Rotating the mattress can be a good idea - you need to be a bit careful of the advice you get though. With a king, someone told me you could rotate 90% since the dimensions are almost the same - this is very wrong for us, since our mattress is zoned for a firmer pelvis area.

It’s a mini decision tree :wink:

• is your mattress customized side-to-side, if yes, you cannot rotate it.
  • is your mattress asymmetrically zoned (e.g. flobed), if yes, you cannot rotate it.
  • is your mattress symmetrically zoned (e.g. firmer hip area), if yes, you can rotate it 180 degrees if desired
  • is your mattress completely non-zoned and a king (76" x 80"), if yes, some will say you can rotate by 90% or…
  • yes, you can rotate your mattress by 180%

The usual advice is yes, rotating for the first little bit is a good idea to let the materials break in evenly.

A note mind you - you can change the feel of the bed by rotating it (in so much as the 2 sides might not be identical). I rotated ours, and my wife lost it because my side felt slightly different than hers and she ended up with my side and I ended up with hers :wink: Needless to say, now my side is no longer mine.

Edit: For completeness sake, if you can access the individual layers, it’s also possible to flip and/or rotate each layer, as it makes sense given the symmetry of each layer. Similarly, there’s a risk you change the feel since some foam will be firmer/softer depending on which side is up (e.g. thicker layers of Dunlop latex can have this occur).

So for me the answer is “Yes” 180 degrees, but proceed with extreme caution… Gotcha! :unsure:

[quote=“TandL” post=31230]
So for me the answer is “Yes” 180 degrees, but proceed with extreme caution… Gotcha! :unsure:[/quote]

A word from my experience: if you do rotate it, and your wife starts yelling that you took the comfortable side, and gave her the side that’s too hard/soft/uncomfortable, don’t grin and say ‘sweet’ I wanted the good side! :wink: it may seem funny at the time (mostly because it is) but won’t work out in your favor long term.