TandL's Shopping Thread

Hi TandL,

Just FYI, the rotating decision tree is a bit incomplete too… For completeness sake, if you can access the individual layers, it’s also possible to flip and/or rotate each layer, as it makes sense given the symmetry of each layer. Similarly, there’s a risk you change the feel since some foam will be firmer/softer depending on which side is up (e.g. thicker layers of Dunlop latex can have this occur).

[quote=“dn” post=31235]Hi TandL,

Just FYI, the rotating decision tree is a bit incomplete too… For completeness sake, if you can access the individual layers, it’s also possible to flip and/or rotate each layer, as it makes sense given the symmetry of each layer. Similarly, there’s a risk you change the feel since some foam will be firmer/softer depending on which side is up (e.g. thicker layers of Dunlop latex can have this occur).[/quote]

Gotcha… didn’t think of flipping the layers.

Hi TandL,

Thanks for the great update … and I’m glad that you went through your “transformation”. I like your writing style and it puts a smile on my face (smiling is “good”).

I think dn covered most of the variables really well (with the appropriate “cautions” for couples :)) but I agree it’s a good idea to rotate any mattress to help it wear more evenly with the exceptions that dn mentioned. Once a week for the first couple of times and then once every two weeks and then then gradually extending to once a season is usually the best idea for even wear and the longest comfort life.

As dn also mentioned … flipping individual layers from time to time in addition to rotating them can also be a good idea for those mattresses that allow you to access them.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=31253]Hi TandL,

Thanks for the great update … and I’m glad that you went through your “transformation”. I like your writing style and it puts a smile on my face (smiling is “good”).

Phoenix[/quote]

Im glad you like it. Sad to see my thread is soon coming to an end, well kind of. I still will photograph and give my opinions of the three pillows when the others arrive and I have time to sleep on them a bit. But as far as the mattress is concerned the next review probably wont be till the 120 day mark and it just might be the end of my thread.

I feel compelled to provide this forum with as much detail and photos as I can, its the least I can do as a token of my appreciation for everything its contributors have done for me. The one thing that I found a little upsetting, for a lack of better term, is how many don’t follow up after their purchase. So, I promise to follow through with this thread till the end and make it as informative as possible.

T&L

Hi TandL,

This is unfortunately one of the issues with all “help” forums like this where it’s very common that members don’t provide feedback after a purchase. It’s also why I appreciate that you (and of course others as well) “hang around” to take the time to share their thoughts and feedback and to help others that are just starting their research.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Jefmoody,

I would also like to extend my thanks again to you for being a valued customer of Brooklyn Bedding! We hope to keep providing great sleep you and those around you, I greatly appreciate your feedback and all of your post here on the mattress underground.

Best Regards,
Mario Sevilla
Brooklyn Bedding
480-323-8831

I wish everyone would give feedback too but maybe they are sleeping so well they just don’t want to leave the bed!!!

If they hate the product they would likely be back here to let us know about it.

Right … :lol:

Shredded Pillow Review

Brooklyn Bedding/Dream Foam

First off, all three pillows are shredded foam and products of Brooklyn Bedding/Dream Foam and they are identical in their craftsmanship as well as their quality and once again reflect the overall value that the company has to offer. The information that will follow shouldn’t be used as a judgment of quality and should only be used to assist others on selecting one of these fine pillows in relation to my personal preference. Just a reminder that I am a 46 year old male who is approximately 220 lbs., and in fairly reasonable shape for my age and weight train at the local fitness center 5 out of seven days a week. I am broad shouldered, and my weight is somewhat proportional to my height, but I do carry extra weight mainly in my midsection area (hips and waist).

In the past I have had two areas of concern, my left hip and right shoulder, where I have experienced light to moderate pressure point discomfort with. The hip I believe has been corrected with the purchase of the new mattress but the right shoulder not so much and is my biggest concern. The right shoulder could very well be injury related and seems to be worse in the morning and loosens up over the course of the day. On occasion I would experience a numbing feeling when I sleep and have to wake to have to shake it out and get the blood to recirculate. It would also cause a considerable amount of stiffness in my neck and is distinguishable by the action of looking over my left shoulder for oncoming traffic while driving or a pressing motion similar to a military shoulder press exercise. It limited my range of motion in my neck as well as my arm. :frowning:

My thoughts on both my pain issues are that they are not being caused by sleeping, but something that has occurred in the past like an injury, or something work related like driving a car or truck and sitting for long periods of time favoring one hip over the other. My understanding is that with my old mattress and pillows I wasn’t getting any relief. It wasn’t so much making it worse or better it just wasn’t allowing it the time it needed to recuperate when I sleep.

Here’s the lineup (Left to Right):

Pillow 1: Shredded Latex Pillow

The Latex pillow is the first for me to review. Its initial feel is soft and when pulling it out of the package appeared to have some weight to it (app 5lbs). I slept on this pillow for approximately one week and found it to be a step up in comfort to the previous typical Wal-Mart poly fill pillows it replaced. It has a good amount of loft to it (5") and improved my side sleeping ability keeping my head at a even to a greater then 90 degree angle to my shoulders. I feel that I prefer the shredded style pillow over the solid fill cause I am a pillow fluff-er and tend to do so over the course of the night. When im on my side I tend to want to put my arm under the pillow and rest my head on the pillow directly over my shoulder/bicep. I believe this is what causes my shoulder to go numb the pressure of my head vs the position of my arm. Though I do wake with some tenderness in my shoulder, I believe it just might the existing pain and and some minor contribution from the latex pillow.

This pillow can take a beating and it bounces right back, to me this has its pros and cons. While I was rather comfortable sleeping on my side at times it felt like it had just a bit to much loft where I had the tendency to want to push my head deeper into the pillow and it wouldn’t allow me too. When flipping to my back I found it to be not so comfortable, the stuffing had a tendency to build up behind the top of my head and the headboard causing my chin to tilt towards my chest. To me this is undesirable, I prefer my head to be either flat or even a bit tilted back a bit.

Pillow 2: Shredded Latex/Memory Foam Combo Pillow

The Combo pillow is the last to be reviewed. Its initial feel is medium and when pulling it out of the package it appeared to be similar in weight to pillow 1 (app 5lbs). I slept on this pillow for approximately one week and found it to be a a little closer in feel to pillow one then pillow three. It has a good amount of loft to it (8").

Unlike pillow 1 pillow 2 gives me a bit better alignment when lying on my back. While laying on my side this pillow does a much better job supporting my head and keeping its loft throughout the night. Though I find this pillow to have a bit more of a latex feel then I would like it does conform better then pillow one without compressing as much as pillow 3. This pillow does a much better job of recovering then pillow 3 when transitioning from my back, to my side where I require a little a bit more loft and not requiring a fluff to get it back into shape.

The funny part is at first this pillow was the most unappealing in feel out of the three T attached to the latex and I to the Memory Foam. It was also the toughest to review because at times it was a non-issue, meaning I arose drawing a blank on it and didn’t recall ever having to manipulate it. Now, it has become the most desired out of the three.

Pillow 3: Shredded Gel Memory Foam Pillow

The Memory Foam pillow is the second for me to review. Its initial feel is medium and when pulling it out of the package it appeared to be similar in weight to pillow 1 (app 5lbs). I slept on this pillow for approximately one week and found it to be a bit more suitable to my likings. It has a good amount of loft to it (8") and improved not only my side sleeping but also my back sleeping ability.

Unlike pillow 1 pillow 3 gives me better alignment when lying on my back my head tends sink in just the right amount and I can feel just a bit of support under my neck allowing my head to tilt back keeping my chin away from chest. While laying on my side this pillow does have the ability to support my head and keep it aligned though at first it feels similar in loft to the latex, it will warm and compress to a comfortable level.

Though I find this pillow a bit better in personal preference over pillow number 1 I feel that it does have its disadvantages even though they are minor. Pillow 3 tends to compress a bit further then pillow 1, meaning even though its initial loft is greater (as pictured) your head tends to sink in deeper allowing the pillow to conform a bit better. It does tend to sleep a bit warmer, but nothing that is unbearable.

The one significant drawback to this pillow is its ability to recover, its rather slow recovery ability makes transitioning from my back, where the pillow tends to be a little flatter from the weight of my head and shoulders, to my side where I require a little a bit more loft and I find my self having to give it a quick fluff. It will also hold its conformity when sleeping on your side once again causing you to give it a quick fluff to flatten it to accept my head and shoulders when transitioning to my back.

Pillow 1 vs Pillow 2

Pillow 2 vs Pillow 3

Note: I do believe that a King Size Pillow Case would be a better fit over a queen. (See Picture Below)

Hi TandL,

Thanks for sharing the results of another “experiment” and it will be interesting to see how the different pillows affect you.

Sleeping with the arms in an “overhead” position in any sleeping positioin can certainly be a contributing cause of shoulder numbness both from the additional pressure of your head and also from the shoulder being out of its “neutral” position and towards the outside of its range of flexion which can affect circulation even without any extra weight from your head being on top.

It may be helpful if you could put your hands under the pillow instead of your arm which may make a difference in the “dead arm” feeling in the morning. This is a common symptom for any sleeping position where the arms are elevated.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=31395]Hi TandL,

Thanks for sharing the results of another “experiment” and it will be interesting to see how the different pillows affect you.

Sleeping with the arms in an “overhead” position in any sleeping positioin can certainly be a contributing cause of shoulder numbness both from the additional pressure of your head and also from the shoulder being out of its “neutral” position and towards the outside of its range of flexion which can affect circulation even without any extra weight from your head being on top.

It may be helpful if you could put your hands under the pillow instead of your arm which may make a difference in the “dead arm” feeling in the morning. This is a common symptom for any sleeping position where the arms are elevated.

Phoenix[/quote]

Thanks again Pheonix,

I realy dont know why I sleep the way I sleep, and to be honest most of this is coming to light now that I have been reseaching mattresses from all the information here that you have provided. It is now that im starting to regognize my sleep habits and determine whether they are contributing factors to soreness that I feel, before it wasnt even a forethought, so im grateful.

Its a bit too early to give my review on pillow number 3 considering It has only been one night sleeping on it, but today is the first day in a while that I woke pain free. :slight_smile: It was also the day I caught myself sleeping like this, I have been making an effort to pay attentinon to what position I fall asleep in (rather difficult) and what position I wake (bit easier). I beleive pillow number 3 actaully helped and provided a bit more cushion between my head and shoulder then pillow number 1 and took some of the pressure off it, I caught myself this morning. I was suprised at the postion I wasn in and the fact that there was no soreness or numbness.

I also have been asking T to try and make a mental note on what postion and how I am sleeping to try to figure out if something im doing that is casusing it so I can try to get myself out of bad sleeping habits, that will be my next step.

Girl and her bed… Ok now to figure out how to get her out! :wink:

Hi TandL,

A feather on the bottom of the feet might work … or not :slight_smile:

Phoenix

That is probably the single most piece of bad advice I had read yet from you on the this forum.

Thanks ,but, No Thanks :wink:

She will only accept cash!!!

Hi TandL,

Now you’ve gone and done it!

I was laughing so hard that I was immediately asked what was so funny.

I had no other choice and reluctantly agreed to to show her the last three posts.

She started laughing as well and immediately told me that it wouldn’t work for me because my wallet already belongs to her :slight_smile:

Phoenix

:woohoo:

:woohoo: :wink:

I took delivery of the Aloe Alexis (With a memory foam swap of the top layer) Monday morning 2/3/2014. It was my intent to sleep on it a little and I did just that. It was awesome, Brooklyn Bedding products and I get along very well.
My favorite is still the Aloe Alexis with all Latex but this was a great addition and now I have extra flexibility with the 3 slices of latex and 1 of memory gel.
Thanks to TandL for his post, Brooklyn Bedding for a great product at a reasonable price and Phoenix as always for having this excellent website filled with his wisdom.

It really is a beautiful mattress, the pictures do it no justice.

Hi Thread been quiet awhile, but been looking at Tandls bed as same options for my next bed. Great job with the bed review Tandl!

I spoke with Carlos who mentioned this thread! He recommended the 28ILD with the gel memory form as well. Im 37, 5 10’ 230-250 depending n time year more of power-lifter/ football build.I have some lower back and neck injuries.

I looking for something that felt like Tempurpedic Weightless Supreme I own (but allergic to), which you get that bouncing weightless feel from it(I like), but wanted a little more memory foam and little more support.

TandL just wondering if the top feels like a pillow top that you will roll off the bed or can you sleep on edge of the bed well.

Also with the options you got is physical activity on the bed difficult! Can you move around easy without sinking too much!?

Also your top looks like has quilted button ynot sure if this change which on Brooklyns website show more smooth top now which i would prefer!

Thanks