temporarily storing a latex/foam mattress on its side

I stored a Brooklyn Bedding #bestmattressever on its side for 5 days before realizing that this can damage a mattress over time. How likely is it that I did the mattress permanent damage? If I did, would it be obvious? How would I check?

I’ve been in the market for a new mattress, and I’ve been trying out the direct-to-consumer products. I’ve narrowed it down to the Leesa and the #BME. Problem is, I currently have both mattresses in my 450 sq ft. apartment. To save room, I put the #BME on its side for 5 days while I started trying out the Leesa. After that point, it suddenly occurred to me to check whether that’s dangerous for the mattress. I couldn’t find any info one way or another on the Brooklyn Bedding site, but I did find general advice online not to store foam/latex mattresses on their sides long-term. The rationale seems to be that they’re not built to be self-supporting in this orientation, and they can become misshapen or damaged.

I immediately put it on the floor in its proper position. The mattress was only on its side for 5 days. I certainly don’t notice any difference, but I wanted to ask someone more knowledgeable. Understanding that you cannot comment definitively without actually testing my mattress, I’m hoping you can give me some general information. What’s the likelihood I did long-term damage to my mattress? If I did, would it be obvious? Are there checks I can perform?

Thank you so much. This forum has been valuable to me, as it pointed me to the #BME, which is looking like my favorite of all the mattresses I’ve tried.

Hi scarylarry,

[quote]I stored a Brooklyn Bedding #bestmattressever on its side for 5 days before realizing that this can damage a mattress over time. How likely is it that I did the mattress permanent damage? If I did, would it be obvious? How would I check?

I immediately put it on the floor in its proper position. The mattress was only on its side for 5 days. I certainly don’t notice any difference, but I wanted to ask someone more knowledgeable. Understanding that you cannot comment definitively without actually testing my mattress, I’m hoping you can give me some general information. What’s the likelihood I did long-term damage to my mattress? If I did, would it be obvious? Are there checks I can perform?[/quote]

All the layers in your mattress are glued together so there shouldn’t be any shifting or bunching if you only had the mattress on it’s side for 5 days. If there was any bunching or “hills and valleys” in the mattress surface or any deviation from it’s normal rectangular shape it would be obvious so if there is nothing obvious you would most likely be fine.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for setting my mind at ease, Phoenix! Everything seems uniform, so my guess is the mattress is A-ok.