Tempur Cloud Deluxe 22 alternatives?

My story is following, I try to cut it short. When I went to University I started sleeping on shitty mattresses, and my sleep has been slowly destroyed, over the years I have kind of got used to the fact that my sleep is very bad and I was alkways tired during the day, then I went to see my cousine and he had this mattress TEMPUR CLOUD DELUXE 22. After all these years it was the first night I slept the whole night without waking up, this is where I finally got to understand that I need a proper mattress, but the Tempur mattress starts from like 1300€ for a single… which is way to much for my budget.

Now, after reading all these infromation on this forum I got overwhelmed and feel more scared to buy a mattress then before, it seems to be too complex. Has anyone expierence with this mattress and found one that is specwise and of course feel wise similar to the one mentioned above? Because I know that I need a smilar one. I wrote this at 12:41 am because I am now scared to go to bed to have another crappy sleep :lol:

Any help would be soooooooo appreciated and for thos who reply I already thank you in advance.

Hi wuerstchen1984,

Unfortunately I don’t have any particular knowledge about the European market so I won’t be able to help in terms of specific retailers or manufacturers I’m aware of there but the process of choosing the best quality/value mattress would be the same as in North America. The brand name of a mattress isn’t particularly important anyway because outside of how suitable a mattress is for you in terms of PPP, a mattress is only as good as it’s construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it (see this article and the quality/durability guidelines it links to) regardless of the name of the manufacturer and the mattress materials that are used in Europe would generally be the same as the materials in North America…

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

The only caveat is that in North America the foam density guidelines for polyfoam and memory foam that I would normally suggest are expressed in lbs/sq ft while in Europe they are often expressed in kg/sq meter so you can use the online density converter here to “translate” them.

I would tend to look for smaller local and regional manufacturers/retailers or online manufacturers/retailers that are completely transparent about the type and quality of all the materials that they use in their mattresses so you can make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses and identify any lower quality materials that could be a weak link in any mattress you are considering.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because any mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range) and reviews in general certainly won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

There are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be very unlikely) then there really isn’t a way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort” and PPP based on the specifications of the mattresses.

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so while you may find some local mattresses that use “similar” materials or designs and there would be many others that are in a similar general category or firmness range … they will generally have different combinations of foam layers and components.

Unless a manufacturer specifically says in their description of a mattress that one of their mattresses in the same general category is specifically designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” and PPP (or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people) … the only reliable way to know for certain how two mattresses would compare for you in terms of how they “feel” or in terms of firmness or PPP would be based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience on both of them.

If you have the specifications of all the materials and layers in two mattresses you are comparing (see this article) then making durability comparisons based on the specifications of both mattresses is simpler than trying to compare “comfort” and PPP (which is much more subjective) but the durability of the materials in a mattress has very little to do with how if feels or performs because a mattress that uses lower quality and less durable materials can feel the same or very similar to a mattress that uses higher quality and more durable materials in a showroom or when it is still relatively new … it just won’t last as long.

Unfortunately Tempurpedic isn’t transparent about the specifics of the materials and components inside their mattresses and I don’t know the specifics of the mattresses they make for the European market so without knowing the specifics of all the materials and layers inside both the TEMPUR CLOUD DELUXE 22 and a mattress you are comparing it to it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about how they would compare in terms of quality/durability either.

Dealing with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that is completely transparent about the type and quality of the materials in their mattresses can be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase.

In its simplest form (and regardless of which country you are from) … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to first finding a few knowledgeable and transparent manufacturers that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in (either locally or online) and that can provide you with all the information you need to know to make an informed choice and make meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Hi there,
I just registered as I saw this thread, since my answer may help.

I think the closest alternative to a Tempur is a Talalay latex mattress. Talalay is said to be more comfy than regular latex. And you’re lucky to be German because such mattresses are available in your country at a (relatively) good price.

Don’t hesitate too long and break your piggy bank B)

Hi Najaweisste,

I removed the information about and link to the mattress you mentioned because it appears that you are advertising/promoting it which is against the rules of the forum.

Your advice is also very questionable because Talalay latex is nothing like memory foam. There is more general information about the differences between them in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Yeah I was afraid you’d consider my comment as a spam, which certainly wasn’t my intent. But that’s your mattress forum and your standards.

Good luck to whichever German national browses this thread and faces the same dilemma as OP, hopefully you can retrieve the information that I provided and has since been deleted.

Hi Najaweisste,

The information was permanently deleted so it can’t be retrieved. Latex is also nothing like memory foam so suggesting that a latex mattress would feel similar to memory foam or would be the “closest alternative” is very misleading.

Phoenix