Tempurpedic alternatives?

Good evening Phoenix!! Long time no talk. I do still follow your mattress forum from time to time. I guess for most of us, if we aren’t stalking you, we must be sleeping ok :wink:

Unfortunately, we are going back to the well here…
We’ve made a huge discovery lately…we are both sleeping on our sides more. Not certain why bc I used to be a stomach sleeper and husband was back and side. Long and short, our current mattress (Costco Sleep Science 10") does not allow enough shoulder cushion, esp for my husband. And yes, this is several mattresses in for us as ou know, but this one made it nearly two years :wink:

I of course KEEP coming back to Tempurpedic. I’m just intrigued and literally EVERYONE I know that has one loves it. But I’m open to alternates of course. I was disappointed to log in recently and learn that Select Foam is no longer a preferred source bc that’s where I was looking, but better to know now than later!!

I used to love the Rhapsody, but husband loves the Cloud Supreme, which I actually really like. We also both seem to really like the new Tempur Flex Supreme (not surprising since I used to like their Bella???) The problem is the Flex is pretty new and we don’t know a ton of details on their composition.

I know you rarely recommend Tempurpedic as a good value. So, my question is-- if we are looking for something comparable to the Tempur Cloud Supreme, Tempur Flex Supreme, or a sort of mix of the two, who might you recommend these days? Anyone still making a sort of direct alternative?

Thank you so much as always for your time Phoenix and I hope you are doing well!!
Jen

Hi SleeplessinDallas,

Welcome back … I haven’t seen you on the forum in quite some time :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to hear that once again you are looking for a new mattress. While two years is more than most of your previous mattresses lasted before you were no longer sleeping well on them … that’s sort of a mixed blessing because 2 years certainly isn’t as long as most people hope to sleep well on a good quality mattress. As I mentioned when you were last on the forum … you’ve certainly had your share of mattress challenges over the years.

if the only issue with a mattress is that it is too firm and there are no soft spots or sagging in the mattress then a good quality topper can certainly be an effective way to add some additional softness, “comfort” and pressure relief to your sleeping system but the only way to know for certain whether a specific mattress/topper combination is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP is based on your own careful testing or personal experience on the combination. If you can’t test the combination in person then there will always be always some risk and uncertainty involved in adding a topper because the specifics of the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice on any specific mattress.

There is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. A good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase just in case the topper you choose doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

If a mattress/topper combination turns out to be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP then having a separate topper also has the advantage of being able to replace just the topper without replacing the entire mattress if it softens or breaks down before the upper foam layers in the mattress (which is very likely because the upper layers of a sleeping system tend to soften or break down before the deeper layers) or if your needs or preferences change over time (which in your case may be more likely as well). A suitable topper can also help extend the useful life of the mattress underneath it because it will absorb much of the compression forces that can soften or break down the top layers of the mattress underneath it over time.

As you know … Tempurpedic for the most part uses good quality and durable materials in their mattresses and the biggest issue is that they are in a much higher price range than many similar mattresses that use similar quality materials. In other words if price isn’t the most important issue they can make a good quality choice even though I think they are overpriced and don’t consider them to be good value.

Unfortunately Select Foam never did “fix” their ongoing customer service issues and many of the members here experienced too many issues with their customer service and unreasonable delays in exchanges or refunds so in good conscience I could no longer recommend them as being a reliable company.

The online list that includes the better memory foam options I’m aware of is in post #12 here.

Off the top of my head … Dreamfoam and Christeli and Selectabed and Tempflow all offer mattresses that are comparable to the Tempurpedic Supreme and the others should also be able to give you some guidance about which of their models are closest to the Tempurpedic Supreme in terms of firmness as well.

The Flex Supreme uses the following layers and components …

Comfort Layers:
2" Tempur ES Material 4.0lb
1.2" Tempur Response Material 5.3lb
Bottom Upholstery (below comfort layers)
2.5" Poly foam 1.6lb
Support System: Single Sided Sleep Surface
Pocketed coils, individually wrapped
17" gauge steel
T/840 F/1260 Q/1610 K/2070
Full perimeter foam encasement
Twice tempered steel

The 2.5" polyfoam layer is a little bit lower density than I would normally like to see in the upper layers of a mattress (especially for those in higher weight ranges) although with just over 3" of memory foam above it it would be more durable than if it was in the top layer of the mattress. They also don’t mention the foam density of their foam encasement.

I don’t know of any online manufacturer that advertises a mattress that is designed to be comparable to the Tempurpedic Flex Supreme although Nest Bedding makes a two sided memory foam pocket coil hybrid here that has a medium and firm side using different thicknesses of 4 lb memory foam on each side and they have a 100 day trial period with a no cost refund (if you donate the mattress) so it may be worth talking to them to see if they can tell you whether either side would be similar to the Tempurpedic Flex Supreme.

Other than spending very long hours on the site (as usual) … I’m doing very well, thanks :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thank you so much Phoenix!! I have to admit that aside from the $$ I am semi tempted to just bite the bullet and try the Tempurpedic, if for no other reason because I have the ability to lay on them in person and know exactly what I’m buying, rather than guessing and trying to purchase one online that I hope will be just about the same. Esp with the Tempur Flex - that’s not an easy one to find a direct comparable for. I’m also happy to see your list of materials for this mattress b/c I’d read somewhere (not from Tempur) that they were using 3lb foam in the Flex Supreme and I wasn’t certain that would be a durable option for us?

Do you happen to know what is inside the Tempur Flex Supreme Breeze? My husband is very intrigued with the Breeze.

• I’ve read that other models such as the Cloud Supreme may actually have a little more foam on the top layers in their Breeze version, making them a little softer, but I don’t really know what that would be.
  • I’m wondering if the Tempur Flex Supreme Breeze would be thicker than the regular version? It would not be a problem, but I wouldn’t want it any “firmer” or with any less foam than the normal Flex Supreme - I could handle just a little more or a little softer
  • Do you have any feedback about the Breeze material over time – does it keep it’s cool or does it seem to wear off over time?
  • I was also debating if a mattress protector would block the feel of the Breeze or if the right protector would still permit the Breeze feeling to come through
  • I’ve also considered a few of the “Phase change material” mattress protectors as an alternative

Thanks again Phoenix!!!

I lurked here on the forum for the last few months and thought I’d register to reply. My wife and I are also both side sleepers. After a lot of research and trying out tempurpedics, we decided to pull the trigger on novosbed soft twin XL’s. After a couple weeks we are very happy with the product. Initially I was concerned and felt like I should have opted for medium but I find the soft has been very good at offering support but also allowing my shoulder to sink in. It seems like a solid tempurpedic alternative to me.

Hi SleeplessinDallas,

I don’t think that 3 lb memory foam would be a very durable option for anyone.

According to Jordans here (which is the only retailer I know of that lists the specific foam densities of their major brand mattresses) … The Tempurpedic Flex Supreme Breeze contains …

Quilt: Tempur Breeze Cooling Cover with PCM
Breathable moisture wicking fabric
Cool to the touch
Comfort Layers: PureCool Technology
2" Tempur-ES comfort layer 4.0LB
1" Tempur-Climate Material 5.3LB
Bottom Upholstery(below comfort layers)
2.5" Poly foam 1.6LB
Support System: Single Sided Sleep Surface
Pocketed coils, individually wrapped
17" gauge steel
T/840 F/1260 Q/1610 K/2070
Full perimeter foam encasement
Twice tempered steel

So the specs are very similar to the Tempurpedic Flex Supreme and they are listed as having the same firmness.

They are both listed as being 11.5" thick.

While it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here.

In very general terms … the layers and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow and temperature regulation than layers and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer mattresses. Memory foam in general (with or without gel) also tends to sleep warmer for some people than other types of foam (such as polyfoam or latex) and while thermal conductive materials (such as some types of gel or copper) or phase change materials that are infused in the foam can provide a temporary benefit when you first go to sleep at night … once temperatures equalize the temperature regulating benefits don’t tend to last over the course of the night. There is more about some of the ways that different manufacturers are using to cool down memory foam in post #6 here but some people tend to sleep warmer on memory foam mattresses that most people would be fine with in terms of temperature regulation.

A thin mattress protector won’t completely “block” the effect of any thermal conductive or phase change materials but if it has a semi breathable/waterproof membrane then it can restrict airflow to some degree which can lead to some people sleeping warmer than they would on a more breathable mattress protector.

@pigbat,

Tempurpedic makes a wide range of mattresses in different firmness levels and with different designs so some Tempurpedic mattresses may be a good “match” for some people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP while others that are in a different firmness level or that have a different design may be unsuitable for the same person to sleep on.

The current Novosbed soft replaced the Novosbed Harmony which was described as being similar to the Sealy Optimum Elation Gold.

The current Novosbed medium replaced the Novosbed Aria which was described as being similar to the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme.

The current Novosbed firm replaced the Novosbed Classic which was described as being similar to the Tempurpedic Contour Elite.

Phoenix

PS: @ SleeplessinDallas … the old email you used in your mattress forum registration is bouncing so you may wish to change it to a current email so you can receive notifications for replies in the topics you’ve subscribed to.

Hi Phoenix,
One other thought I’d love your input on…foundation…

Tempur puts theirs on solid bases, correct? Is that OK for something like the Flex with the springs on the bottom for circulation?

I was actually thinking about having a platform bed made that would have a solid plywood base, covered in fabric just for solid support under the springs because I wasn’t sure I wanted the springs crossing over slats with open space, but now I’m reading whether that would provide enough breathability?

Any thoughts?

Hi SleeplessinDallas,

Yes Tempurpedic sells their mattresses with a solid surface foundation. A google search on Tempurpedic mold will also bring up reports of mold or mildew under Tempurpedic mattresses as well.

You can see my comments about a solid support surface under a mattress (such as plywood or MDF) in post #10 here. While in most cases they would probably be fine … they can be an additional risk factor for the formation or mold or mildew … particularly if there are other risk factors involved that could contribute to the formation or mold or mildew in a mattress. The risk would probably be lower with an innerspring mattress.

Phoenix

With those tiny pocket coils, you wouldn’t have any issues with the space between the slats and coils slipping in there funny?

If we went solid, would you recommend a bed rug under the pocket coils over the fabric covered plywood?

The bed we have now has the adjustable bases, which are solid and I don’t believe we have had any issues (that I can see), but that doesn’t mean that we couldn’t or wouldn’t!

Hi SleeplessinDallas,

Not if any gaps in the foundation were smaller than the diameter of the pocket coils. Most pocket coil mattresses also have a base layer of polyfoam under the coils as well which would provide a more evenly supportive surface for the coils.

If you were in a situation where the combination of risk factors was higher it could be a good idea. Otherwise I probably wouldn’t.

I would also keep in mind that the terms of the Tempurpedic warranty requires a solid surface foundation.

Phoenix

PS: your email is still bouncing (see my note 5 posts earlier)

Thank you Phoenix!!! I did try to update my email but it says there is already a user name with that email? Not sure if I could not remember my password and could not retrieve it due to the new email and perhaps I tried to create another account, but I sure don’t know what it is?? :o

Hi SleeplessinDallas,

It sounds like you may have tried to create a new account instead of editing your current one.

If you are logged in to the forum then you can just click the profile tab on top of the forum and click the edit button and you can change your email from there.

Phoenix