Tempurpedic and issues...

So I wish I would have saw this site before hand… but I didn’t. I purchased a Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe last Saturday. In the store it felt okay but I liked the feel of the rhapsody more I think. However my wife felt the opposite and convinced me otherwise… so we got the Luxe…

Well I know there is supposedly a break in period where not only the mattress changes (softer) but also you adjust to the new mattress. Well I’m actually more concerned about that then anything else because from what I’ve sort of quickly read around here that means its only going to get worse for me. I have woke up each day with worse and worse pain in my lower back. This morning it was so bad I could do nothing to allow myself to lay down anymore and had to get up early. I felt like I did after a horrible car accident I had years ago…

I have to wait another 27 days or so before I can return this mattress for another… So will I keep getting worse or is this normal and I might start to feel better soon? I cant handle waking up like that for much longer. The mattress we had before was a sleep2live and it developed a valley in the middle which we dealt with for a long time so I am coming from a bad mattress situation. However even though it was causing me all kinds of intermittent pains I never woke up that bad.

Should I just sleep in the guest room for the next 27 days and then get the rhapsody or should I keep giving it a chance? Thanks…

Hi Maxcook64,

If you don’t notice some improvement in the first week or two then it’s likely that the mattress is too soft for you (the Cloud Luxe is their softest mattress) and that you are sleeping out of alignment. If this is the case then it’s not likely to improve but your own personal experience is the only reliable way to know for certain.

If you purchased directly from Tempurpedic then you have the ability to get a refund with only a small fee … otherwise you may be limited to an exchange for another Tempurpedic (depending on the policy of the retailer you purchased from).

If you are still experiencing the type of pain you are after a week or two I would call them to ask if they can make an exception and do the exchange a little sooner but before you decide on an exchange I would make sure you have read the tutorial post here and test the other options you have very carefully because if your next choice also isn’t a suitable “match” for you then you would probably be stuck with the mattress and have no further options available.

If you are able to get a refund then there are many other memory foam options available to you that are the same or better quality as Tempurpedic and much better value.

Phoenix

Well I bought it from Sleepdoctor and I talked to the sales guy today (who is a very nice and good sales guy), and he said he couldn’t do anything today but if it wasn’t getting any better by Thursday he could do the exchange without cost as early as Saturday or Monday. Which is really good news.

Now the only thing I am wondering is if I should get the Alura or the Rhapsody. I will definitely read everything on this incredibly useful site more before I go back in there for the exchange. The rhapsody felt great in the store for me and the alura felt pretty good too.

With the rhapsody I am worried it might end up being too firm, maybe not for me but it might be too much for my wife (shes only about 118-120lbs and 5’8" while I am more like 175-180 5’10"). From what I can tell the Alura is sort of a notch up from the Rhapsody in terms of softness.

I really hope I can learn enough here to make the right decision that allows me to sleep pain free without her being unable to sleep comfortably.

I am also wondering if the rhapsody (without breeze) will be hotter than the cloud luxe? I dont find the luxe to be an issue, but it is winter time…

I know you can’t work on guarantees but do you think the rhapsody would likely cause my wife to have issues with being too stiff?

I definitely know I need more support because I have never woke up in that much pain before just from one night on a mattress. I had to get up an hour early today because it hurt too much to lie down any longer even with pillows being utilized in ways.

It’s gotta be the softness that’s an issue though because the first night it was mostly okay. But by night 3 it was too much and its gotta be from it getting softer as they do over the break-in.

Hi Maxcook64,

Your own careful and objective testing is always the most reliable way to know whether a mattress is a good match in terms of PPP and I would make sure you read all the testing guidelines in the tutorial post. Good testing will give you the highest odds of success.

There is really no way to predict this on an individual basis because there are so many factors that combine together that are involved in sleeping temperature besides just the type of foam used in a mattress (see post #2 here). Memory foam (or gel memory foam) in general tends to sleep warmer than other types of materials or foams but if you are OK on the Cloud Luxe you will probably be OK on the Rhapsody as well. The Cloud Luxe uses 4 lb memory foam which is more breathable than higher density memory foam but the Rhapsody is also firmer which will also be cooler than softer mattresses where you sink into and are surrounded and insulated by the memory foam more. Some of the other factors involved in sleeping temperature (your mattress protector and bedding) can also make a significant difference in temperature (in some cases more than the difference between the mattresses).

With your wife’s lower weight she will likely do better with a softer mattress than you so there may be some compromise between you but it will also depend on her sleeping positions. Side sleepers generally need thicker/softer comfort layers to relieve pressure than back or stomach sleepers. The general rule is to make sure you test the mattress in all your sleeping positions and then choose a mattress that is “just soft enough” to relieve pressure points in your most pressure prone position so it will have a lower risk of producing the pain and discomfort in your lower back that can go with the alignment issues that are the result of a mattress that is too soft. The Allura uses the higher density 7 lb memory foam which is more supportive and would be closer to the Cloud Luxe (especially in the softer version) than the Rhapsody which would be a much larger step up in terms of firmness.

It may also be worth considering some of the Cloud line that uses thinner layers of memory foam (such as the Supreme or Select) which are a little firmer but are still in the soft range and which would also reduce the risk of alignment issues.

Phoenix

Have you tried a Cloud Allura?

Hi demackison,

For someone where the Cloud Luxe was too soft … the Cloud Allura would be a fairly risky choice because it’s also in the same thickness/softness range in the comfort layers as the Luxe … and some would say even softer. It has a thicker layer of 4.1 lb memory foam on top (about 3.2" vs the 2.75" in the Cloud Luxe) over 1.6" of 5.3 lb memory foam.

Phoenix

If it is giving you so much of pain ,stop using it.