Tempurpedic weightless supreme - what is different?

I have tried 4 tempurpedic mattresses and none worked out. I have tried rhapsody, supreme, cloud select, and allura and none worked out.
I now see weightless supreme. What is the difference between this and cloud supreme?
what does weightless mean? what kind of foam is it? and how is it different from other tempurpedics?

Hi sleepsleep,

Tempurpedic doesn’t disclose exactly what their Tempur-Float material is but it would most likely be a type of HR or high performance polyfoam which is both more resilient than memory foam but also very conforming (it could be called a “latex like” foam). It would be similar to materials like Foamex/FXI’s Energia or Premier Foam’s Spring-tex or Carpenter’s Avena (which would be my first guess).

Both the Weightless Select and the Weightless Supreme use relatively thinner layers of their Softer Tempur ES 4 lb memory foam over the Tempur Float material which would give the surface feel of memory foam but a combination feel of soft memory foam where you “go through” the memory foam into the more supportive and resilient polyfoam layer which would “spring back” instead of the traditional more sinking in feeling that a second layer of memory foam would have (such as in the Tempur Cloud line). While the materials are the same in both of them … the layer thicknesses are different to create a different feel with the Supreme being softer than the Select. This creates what they call a “floating” sensation and would have many similarities to a thinner memory foam layer over latex (which is a hybrid type of comfort layer that many people including me like) or over HR polyfoam that are made by other manufacturers.

Phoenix

How similar is Weightless supreme to cloud supreme?

As to cloud supreme I sank down quickly to the hard layer underneath and felt it almost immediately. It felt a firm mattress to me.

How different would weightless supreme feel then that? what are thicknesses of individual layers in weightless supreme as compared to cloud supreme?

Hi sleepsleep,

I’m not quite sure what you mean here. In terms of construction the previous post answered this. The weightless supreme uses a softer 4.1 lb memory foam layer over a more highly resilient polyfoam layer (they don’t provide the ILD or other specs about this layer) while the Cloud Supreme uses a softer 4.1 lb memory foam layer over a firmer 5.3 lb memory foam layer. There is more memory foam to “sink into” in the Cloud Supreme in other words but the 5.3 lb memory foam may feel firmer … at least initially until it warms up more or when you move.

In terms of “feel” and performance … each person may have a different answer to this based on their own perceptions when they try each mattress. Different body types and sleeping styles and sensitivities may describe the same mattress very differently.

The Cloud Supreme uses 2" of their 4.1 lb Tempur ES memory foam over 2" of their Tempur 5.3 lb memory foam over a 7" polyfoam base layer (for a total height of 11").

The Weightless Supreme apparently uses 2" of 4.1 lb Tempur ES memory foam over 3" of Tempur-Float material over a 7" polyfoam base layer (for a total height of 12").

Phoenix

Phoenix. May be other tempurpedics models did not work for me as I kept shifting my sleep positions. may be because I found the sinking feeling not supporting my body? and because it took long time for those mattresses to recover as I shifted sleeping positions?
If that is so, would this tempurpedic model weightless supreme work for me? Does it have the same sinking feeling that other tempurpedics mattresses have?

Hi sleepsleep,

This is of course speculation but it is very possible. it would also depend on the design and layering of the memory foam mattresses.the reasons you mentioned is certainly one of the reasons that some people just don’t like memory foam mattresses … especially the ones that use slower recovery types of memory foam in thicker layers.

There is no way to really know this for sure without lying on the mattress in person because the type of material that is in a mattress is only part of the picture. If the layering of a mattress … regardless of the materials it uses … doesn’t give you the PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) that you need and prefer then it would still not be the “right” mattress for you. The type of material is more of a preference and regardless of what type of material is in the mattress the layering used (the thickness and softness/firmness of each layer and component) still needs to provide the basic functions of a mattress for your body type and sleeping style. This is why your own personal experience and testing will always be more accurate than any “theory”.

There is also no “secret” in the design of the Tempurpedic Weightless mattresses. Many other manufacturers have been making mattresses with a similar design for many years and Tempurpedic is a relative newcomer to this type of layering. One of their mattresses called the BellaFina did use latex under the memory foam until they stopped selling it but it used a thicker top layer of their firmer 5.3 lb memory foam over the latex. You can read a little more about it in this thread.

The odds are good that you wouldn’t have the same sinking sensation as a thicker comfort layer that only used memory foam but I would also bear in mind that different people can have very different perceptions of the same mattress and lying on it in person is really the only way to know how it would feel and perform for you.

Phoenix

I laid on all tempurpedic mattresses that I bought and that did not work for me. I tried them in store by laying on them. I would say I spend almost 1 hour on each one in total and I thought they would be suitable for me but still they did not work for me.

Hi sleepsleep,

Unfortunately your story isn’t unusual and there are very few people who test mattresses more objectively than subjectively or even know how to.

Of course nothing is guaranteed in anything but more objective testing of a mattress can greatly improve your odds of making the best possible choice for the vast majority of people … even though of course nothing is 100%. In most cases … good testing will at least help you get close enough that only more minor “fine tuning” is necessary after you receive the mattress.

Post #1 here has some links to guidelines that can help with testing for pressure relief and alignment.

One of the challenges with memory foam that can make it tricky … in particular with thicker layers … is that it will “creep” over the course of the night. This is common to all viscoelastic materials and means that it will relax internally with constant pressure over time and you will tend to sink in more deeply over the course of the night than fast response foams. In other words … memory foam can respond to your body weight according to four factors … temperature, humidity, pressure, and time. Fast response foams tend to respond to pressure alone which means they are easier to predict.

Some good guidance when you are testing can also be very helpful and this can make a difference as well.

Phoenix

In other words, Phoenix you are saying that weightless supreme has fast response foam called “Tempur Float material” and that there is excellent chance that it will work for me?

How does this Tempur Float material in weightless supreme compare to 5.3lb of firm memory foam in cloud Supreme - in firmess-softness scale wise?

Thank you Phoenix

Hi sleepsleep,

Yes … while they don’t disclose exactly what it is … it’s a faster response and more resilient material than their memory foam yes.

I certainly wouldn’t want to imply this in any way. There is no way to know this without your own personal experience on the mattress either in testing or in the longer term. The type of material isn’t nearly as important as whether the specific layering of that material is suitable for you. Any material in the right layering can provide the pressure relief and posture and alignment that people “need” … even if it may not have the “feel” or other characteristics that they 'prefer". Faster response materials can be a little less risky though because they respond primarily to pressure alone while slow response materials can respond differently with variations in pressure, humidity, temperature, and time (how long constant pressure is applied to the material).

Fast response materials can’t really be compared to slow response materials which perform differently under different conditions and where “softness/firmness” has a very different meaning. I’ve never tested this material directly (it’s in the second layer down in the mattress so you couldn’t know which layer or material you were feeling more or less) and tempurpedic doesn’t disclose any of the “comfort specs” of their materials so you can’t use these to make a comparison either.

There really is no way for you to know these things when a manufacturer doesn’t disclose the details of the materials they use except by trying it in person and letting your own body provide you with the answers. While this may not be as accurate as you would want or hope for … it will be more accurate than anything someone else could tell you.

In other words … it would be more accurate for you to tell me the differences you felt between the Tempur-Weightless Supreme and the Tempur-Cloud Supreme than it would be for me to try tell you any differences you “might” feel more than I have already.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=13968]Hi sleepsleep,

Yes … while they don’t disclose exactly what it is … it’s a faster response and more resilient material than their memory foam yes.

I certainly wouldn’t want to imply this in any way. There is no way to know this without your own personal experience on the mattress either in testing or in the longer term. The type of material isn’t nearly as important as whether the specific layering of that material is suitable for you. Any material in the right layering can provide the pressure relief and posture and alignment that people “need” … even if it may not have the “feel” or other characteristics that they 'prefer". Faster response materials can be a little less risky though because they respond primarily to pressure alone while slow response materials can respond differently with variations in pressure, humidity, temperature, and time (how long constant pressure is applied to the material).

Fast response materials can’t really be compared to slow response materials which perform differently under different conditions and where “softness/firmness” has a very different meaning. I’ve never tested this material directly (it’s in the second layer down in the mattress so you couldn’t know which layer or material you were feeling more or less) and tempurpedic doesn’t disclose any of the “comfort specs” of their materials so you can’t use these to make a comparison either.

There really is no way for you to know these things when a manufacturer doesn’t disclose the details of the materials they use except by trying it in person and letting your own body provide you with the answers. While this may not be as accurate as you would want or hope for … it will be more accurate than anything someone else could tell you.

In other words … it would be more accurate for you to tell me the differences you felt between the Tempur-Weightless Supreme and the Tempur-Cloud Supreme than it would be for me to try tell you any differences you “might” feel more than I have already.

Phoenix[/quote]

Well what should I look for when trying this in store. In what ways I should about doing it. I mean do you have any specific steps/process for testing this mattress in store. For how long should I lay on it to get the correct proper feel of it.
Should i use the 90 day trial period to see if it will work for me?

How would this tempur float material layer change over time ?
thank you.

Hi sleepsleep,

Post #1 here has some links with guidelines for how to test for pressure relief and alignment that will help you test more objectively. While of course nothing is perfect … it will give you a way to shift the odds in your favor.

When you go to test I would make sure you were wearing loose thin clothing (thicker clothing will affect how the mattress feels) and spend a minimum of 15 minutes on the mattress after you are fully relaxed and in a “pre-sleep state”. The closer you can simulate how you go to sleep the better. If you are testing memory foam I would test for a little longer to make sure the memory foam has a chance to warm up to your body temperature. I would also either bring a suitable pillow that you like or use one that is available at the store for your testing.

If you are dealing with a good retailer or manufacturer … they will also have some good experience and many of them are good at “eyeballing” you to see how good your alignment is.

While I wouldn’t personally consider a Tempurpedic when there are so many mattresses with the same or better quality materials that are much less costly … if you do decide to try one then make sure that wherever you buy it has a 90 day trial with a refund option. You will be out the amount of shipping both ways if you buy directly from Tempurpedic but at least that’s better than having a mattress that doesn’t work and being locked in to an exchange with a store that has few good options to exchange for if they don’t offer a refund.

Phoenix

what other mattresses are those? thanks

Hi sleepsleep,

There are many manufacturers who would have a similar layering (a few examples and comments about the same idea are in post #496 here from earlier today) and have better quality/value but I have no idea which may be available in your area. You would need to call the manufacturers and retailers in your area and describe what you are looking for specifically and they could tell you if they carried or could make a mattress with similar layering.

Online, some of the options listed in post #12 here would either have or make a similar design.

Phoenix

Hi sleepsleep,

By no means am I an expert but I have done a lot of research on this site and recently ordered the Rendezvous from Rocky Mountain Mattress. I had a great conversation with Lane and after hearing that I was a fan of the TempurPedic Rhapsody Breeze, he recommended the Rendezvous, a 14 inch mattress that has a one inch layer of latex. Lane was very informative and he gave me an overview of their other memory foam mattresses. I haven’t received the mattress yet but have a feeling I’ll love it.

http://www.rockymountainmattress.com/memory-foam-mattresses/the-rendezvous-14/

Best of luck finding the mattress of your dreams.