Tempurpedic?

I am looking to replace my king sized, spring and pillow top mattress. There are tempting sales on Tempurpedic mattresses - but are they woth it? I’m leaning towards a Talalay latex mattress, but my Doctor (a chirpoprator) has suggested a “Sleep Number” to ensure both my wife and I can get the firmness we desire.

What do you recommend: Temperpedic, Latex or Sleep-Number?

Hi UTME83,

The first place I would start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need all in one place that will help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

You can see my thoughts about airbeds in this article but at the very least I believe you are getting poor information from your Chiropractor if he is recommending a specific brand which is not the “best value” in airbeds (although they do the best job at marketing). Purchasing a mattress based on the name on the label is one of the worst ways to choose a mattress.

You can see more of my thoughts about Tempurpedic in post #2 here and the other posts it links to. While the “value” of a mattress purchase depends on the parts of each person’s personal value equation that are most important to them … for most people a Tempurpedic (even at discounted prices) wouldn’t be good value compared to the many other options you have available that use the same or better quality materials at much lower prices.

I don’t recommend any specific materials (this is a personal preference that is unique to each person) and both Sleep Number and Tempurpedic would be included in the list of major manufacturers I would tend to avoid (see this article).

While the type of materials and components that each person prefers may be very different … I do “recommend” that no matter which materials or components you prefer or which mattress is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that you make sure you know the quality of all the materials in your mattress because every type of material and component has higher quality more durable versions and lower quality less durable versions. You read more about the things to look for in a “perfect” mattress in post #2 here.

Once you get to step 3 in the guidelines if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to to link you to a list of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

I live in Lafayette, La. I had read your opinions regarding some of the name brand mattresses - and I agree! I believe my chiropractor knows bones and joints - but not necessarily mattresses! I’m not sold on any specific brand or type. I will be going to Irwin’s Mattress tomorrow to check out their Latex mattresses. Not sure if there are any other reputable firms in this area for latex, air or other type mattresses. I value your opinions - can you suggest other firms? I am willing to travel as far as Baton Rouge, if necessary.

Hi UTME83,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Lafayette area are listed in post #2 here and for Baton Rouge are listed in post #191 here.

As you already are … if I was in Lafayette I would certainly start with Irwins.

Phoenix