Testing first mattress without good stores nearby?

I live in ZIP 34608 and cannot travel too far to test out mattresses. I’d like to get a feel for what would make a good first mattress purchase for me. I’ve called Mattress Firm but they told me their system doesn’t provide information on the densities of their foam, only thicknesses–so that would probably be a waste of time. Could I realistically just guess what would work based on my statistics?

I am a male, 5’10 and weigh 146 lbs. I have an average build, not athletic but not slim. I am a combo side and back sleeper but my current mattress is firm enough that side sleeping is uncomfortable. I wake up many times at night with a dry throat and I am a very light sleeper because of it, I rarely get to a deep sleep so I think I have sleep apnea. There’s about 3.5-4 inches between the edge of my shoulder and the widest point of my chest. There’s about a 3 inch difference between my lower back and the widest point of my butt sticking out. I would prefer a cooler sleep if possible and on a twin or twin XL because my room is small. Motion isolation isn’t necessary in this case. I prefer durable materials or at least an easily replaceable comfort layer so that I don’t have to replace the whole bed. If I can’t physically go to a store I’d like to be able to do sleep trials to see what works.

How can you test a mattress without trying it?

Take the TMU tutorial
Get iin a car and drive to a place that has mattresses. Spend 2-4 days there. Mattress selection is important.
For latex, maybe try Flobeds VZone because it is adjustable and has 100 night sleep trial and if you dont likei it you just pay $100 to ship back.

My opinion (for me)?

Best memory foam? Tempur pedic… I like LuxeAdapt Firm, but get what you like.

Best inner spring? Aireloom Preferred M1 Luxetop Firm or plush. You can try M2 also.M1 means 1 layer of microcoils. M2 means 2 layers of microcoils. I liked M1 Luxetop Firm. Also known as Chester Firm.

Im different than you. You are not me. Try out a lot of mattresses and lay on them for at least 10min.

Happy Shopping!
John

I don’t have a car. I’m limited to your typical large retailers like mattress firm, so not factory-direct. I called them up and none of them are willing to tell me specs beyond how thick layers are.

I would never buy a mattress without lying on it first. Do not buy a mattress. Buy a car first or Uber yourself to a mattress store.

I dont like Mattress Firm. They have restocking fees when returning a nattress. If you buy a mattress sight unseen, you are wasting your money.

You can order from Arizina Mattress or Sleep EZ or FloBeds. They ship to your house. They have a eeturn policy.

Where do you live?

John

ZIP 34608 is where I live. I wasn’t planning on buying from Mattress Firm; only to get a feel of what works for me since there aren’t any recommended retailers close by. I figured the next best thing would be to buy from a company that ships and has the return policy like you said to make it easy to find the right layers.

Hi JustinBrown,

Sorry to hear your current mattress is no longer comfortable for you. Any mattress is unique to the sleeper, based on their stats(height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) and their PPP( Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). Based on the stats you have given, with your sleep positions and lower BMI, there are many different mattresses which could work for you. If you have not yet done so, I’d recommend you take a look at ourMattress shopping tutorialto get an idea of what to look for, as well as themattress Specifications You Need To Know and finally the Mattress Durability Guidelinesto see how different materials hold up over time. I would consult with a healthcare provider about the potential sleep apnea, as this can disrupt sleep no matter the mattress you sleep on.

BostonSnow is correct, the best way to test a mattress is in person; But since you are limited in doing so due to not having a car, you might want to look at the offering of
Trusted Membersof the site GhostBed which is carried by ‘big box’ stores like Target, Home Depot, and Costco, and also Nest Bedding , which Macy’s, among others, carries so that you can see what feels best. A ‘best guess’ based on your stats would not be as successful as at least eliminating some materials (do you like the feel of memory foam? latex?) and types of beds(do you like the feel of solid latex? Do you want innerspring coils? What type of frame?) eliminating some of these by trying at, for example mattress firm, could narrow down your search. If you will be ordering online, most of our Trusted Members offer sleep trials, and if you provide them a little information, they should be able to help you find a suitable sleep solution. They also are transparent about the composition, specs and construction of their offerings, which will allow you to do better than ‘guess’ at what might work best for you. Regardless of which manufacturer or retailer you ultimately select, I’d make sure to have a detailed conversation with your finalists and provide them with your stats, body type, sleeping styles, general preferences and history, some general information about your current mattress, or what you have tested, and any other specific information or circumstances that could affect your choice of a mattress so they can help you choose which may be your best fit from their inventory.

While we don’t make recommendations, we can comment on any specific mattresses you are considering if you have questions.

I wish you success on finding your perfect sleep system!

• Basilio