Thanks for the great advice

We are thinking about switching from a traditional mattress and box spring to a latex variety and the information here has been of tremendous help. We are in Minneapolis and several archived posts have listed good retailers in the region. Our search for the right match is going to be much less stressful because of the terrific information here.

Hi khans1,

I’m glad the site could help you :slight_smile:

Good luck in your search and I’m looking forward to your feedback and any questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Our first shopping trip uncovered the fact that PM Bedroom Gallery in Woodbury, MN no longer carries any latex mattresses. Salesperson said it was because they were breaking down faster than expected. She tried to steer us to Eco brand memory foam, which she claimed was an improvement on traditional memory foam, and Anatomic Global memory foam which is what they are carrying instead of latex. I’m really not a fan of memory foam but thought I’d throw it out there for any feedback you might have.

The Original Mattress Factory had two latex models. Specs on the one we liked " Talatech latex core 60/40 blend, 4.1 density: 30-34 ILD, double-sided mattress. Price: $1699 for a Queen mattress and box spring set. The salesperson was very knowledgeable and could answer all of our questions.

Going to look at three styles of Pure Bliss latex mattresses tomorrow at Gabbert’s which is the only place in the Twin Cities that carries that brand.

Hi khans,

Yes … PM bedroom gallery hasn’t carried latex mattresses for about 8 months now. Their sister store Penny Mustard still carries them.

I think the real reason is the local economy (latex is a more costly material than other types of foam) and based on my conversations with them I think that the staff have been given incorrect information to “explain” why they are no longer carrying them.

It’s unfortunate but I suspect that they were not selling as well as they wanted and decided to devote more floor space to other types of mattresses that were a better “fit” for the local economy.

It’s true that there are different types of memory foam which have different properties in terms of response time, temperature sensitivity, and breathability (among other properties) but the most important memory foam spec in terms of its quality and durability is the density of the memory foam … not the “marketing story” that is attached to it. The most important part of any mattress purchase (other than testing it for PPP which is Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and personal preferences) is to make sure you know the density of all the memory foam and polyfoam in the mattress because form density is the most important spec that determines the durability of memory foam or polyfoam and allows you to make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

You’ve probably seen this but just in case some of the better options in the Minneapolis area I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here.

The OMF latex mattresses are good quality and have good value.

Phoenix

We are down to two choices and would appreciate any insights regarding differences in material quality, construction, pros and cons of flipability, etc.

PLB Beautiful - $2969 for a queen set. Can’t flip it over, just head to toe. Has two top layers of talalay (3" and 2") and a blended core. 20 year warranty. 3/4" deformation warranty

OMF Supreme - $1699 for a queen set. Can be flipped, has the other properties in the earlier post. 12 year warranty. I believe 1 1/4" deformation warranty

We would be willing to pay the higher price if there is significant difference that makes sense.

Thanks for any insights.

Hi Khans1,

Both of them use exactly the same materials (blended Talalay latex) from the same supplier (Latex International). From a commodity point of view … the OMF has a total of 9" of latex and the Beautiful has 12" of latex. The OMF also has an inch of polyfoam quilted to the cover which will change the surface feel of the mattress compared to sleeping directly on latex. Some people prefer this and some prefer to sleep directly on the latex. The PLB has a stretch knit cover which will allow the latex to conform to the shape of the body a bit better while the OMF has a damask cover which is a weave and a little less stretchy (but is also good quality). The polyfoam quilting in the OMF is the reason for the greater warranty exclusion but it’s within the guidelines of @ an inch or less that I would consider acceptable and wouldn’t have a significant effect effect on the durability of the mattress.

The OMF is also double sided which would increase the long term durability of the mattress compared to a one sided mattress.

Overall … the OMF has better “commodity value” in terms of the cost of materials vs the cost of the mattress but there may also be other parts of your personal value equation that may also be important to you which may be just as important as the commodity value of the mattress.

OMF also uses an active box spring which will affect the feel and performance of the mattress vs a solid non flexing foundation while the PLB uses a regular slatted foundation which doesn’t flex. It would also be a little more costly than the PLB foundation.

Both of them are also very different designs (even though the materials are very similar) so how well they “fit” your needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) would also be a significant part of their “value” to you as well.

Both would be “better than average” value compared to mainstream mattresses but I would give the “value” edge to the OMF assuming they are “equal” in terms of how they feel and perform (PPP) and in terms of any of the other parts of a mattress purchase that may be important to you.

Phoenix

Based on our combined PPP, we went with the PLB Beautiful. Will be delivered on Wednesday. Will post after we’ve had some time to experience the new mattress. Thanks again for the terrific resource and your personal responses.

Hi khans,

Congratulations on your new mattress … and on the good research and testing you did to choose it :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback after you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a while.

Phoenix

We’ve had our Pure Latex Bliss Beautiful mattress for a little more than a month now and can say it was a good purchase. It took about a week to get used to (the salesman had told us it “sleeps firm” to start), but it is working out very nicely. No more tossing and turning, waking up in a sweat, or feeling tired as soon as waking up. The advice and information here was invaluable. Thanks again.

Hi khans1,

That’s great to hear … and thanks for the update :slight_smile:

Phoenix