The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

Hi Del,

There are three types of “foam” materials which are polyfoam, memory foam, and latex foam. The 12 in 1 customizable has three layers of 2 lb polyfoam which is a good quality and durable material. The layers are firm, medium, and soft and each side of the cover has a different quilting pattern (one is a tighter and firmer quilt and the other is a looser and softer quilt) so by rearranging the layers or using one side of the cover or the other as your sleeping surface there are 12 possible combinations that you can use to fine tune the mattress after you receive it so that it’s the best possible match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, pressure relief, and Personal preferences). Most “foam” mattresses (regardless of whether they are latex, polyfoam, or memory foam) are generally either two or three layers of foam (of the same or different types of foam) although a few have only one and a few have more.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=43764]Hi Del,

There are three types of “foam” materials which are polyfoam, memory foam, and latex foam. The 12 in 1 customizable has three layers of 2 lb polyfoam which is a good quality and durable material. The layers are firm, medium, and soft and each side of the cover has a different quilting pattern (one is a tighter and firmer quilt and the other is a looser and softer quilt) so by rearranging the layers or using one side of the cover or the other as your sleeping surface there are 12 possible combinations that you can use to fine tune the mattress after you receive it so that it’s the best possible match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, pressure relief, and Personal preferences). Most “foam” mattresses (regardless of whether they are latex, polyfoam, or memory foam) are generally either two or three layers of foam (of the same or different types of foam) although a few have only one and a few have more.

Phoenix[/quote]

Ah. Didnt realize there were 3. Just thought there was latex and memory foam. I thought there would have been a few inches of base to this, which is why i was confused. Like the base then the 3 interchangeable layers. Just seems a fear I would have is the casing itself becoming loose over time or just not being as “tight” as a normal factory built mattress. How is polyfoam different from mem and latex?

Hi Del,

This normally wouldn’t be an issue with a good quality tight fitting cover but you can see some of the pros and cons of a component mattress vs a “finished” mattress with a tape edged cover and glued layers in post #15 here.

There is more information about polyfoam comfort layers in this article and about polyfoam support layers in this article. Polyfoam is the most common foam material used in the industry and it’s the material that you will most commonly find in the comfort layers of most innerspring mattresses (although they are generally lower quality and less durable versions of polyfoam than the 12 in 1 customizable mattress is using) and is the material that you will also find in most sofas as well. It is generally a lower cost foam compared to specialty foams like memory foam or latex although it comes in a wide rage of firmness levels and foam densities that are more or less durable and have a wide range of different properties.

There is more about latex comfort layers here and latex support layers here and there is more about the pros and cons of latex in this article. There is also more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

There is more about memory foam comfort layers here but you won’t find memory foam in the deeper support layers because it doesn’t come in versions that would be firm enough. There is also more about the pros and cons of memory foam in this article and more about the many different types of memory foam in post #9 here and in post #8 here.

There is also a comparison between the pros and cons of latex vs memory foam in post #2 here (polyfoam would be closer to latex in terms of “feel” because it’s also a fast response material).

Post #4 here also includes the foam quality guidelines I would suggest (along with the post about higher weight ranges I linked in an earlier reply).

The best way to know for certain which types of materials or mattresses you tend to prefer or that would at least be “acceptable” to you in terms of their general “feel” would be based on your own personal testing or sleeping experience.

Phoenix

This thread has sold us. We’ll be ordering the king-sized 10.

Hello,
We received our tuft and needle 10in king on Oct 2. Last night was the 11th night on it. I thought I would love this mattress and that there was a slight possibility that my husband would find it too firm. Alas, he has had no problem with it until last night when his hand got numb. I, on the other hand, have gotten progressively more miserable. I believe the first 3-4 nights were adjustment to the new mattress. I had upper back and shoulder soreness which I think came from the corrective nature of good support. Since then I have had pain/extreme tightness in my right hip and leg as well as lingering shoulder soreness.
I have discovered that I am predominately a side sleeper.
I believe that I need more pressure relief and I’ve been combing this site on toppers. Specifically, latex toppers. After two days of research and increasing dislike of the the bed, I am leaning toward wanting a bed that works as is. I am leaning toward a Dreamfoam 12 in 1 or the Dreamfoam Freedom latex.
My husband and I thought we preferred a firm mattress. I believe we still do, but the Tuft and Needle might just be more firm than we bargained for. My husband is 300lb and 6’2’ and I am 145lbs and 5’4’. Because of my husbands weight, I know we need a bed with a very good quality core such as 2lb polyfoam or higher ILD latex. We did lay on a bed in a store that was a Novopure with 1.5in Talalay latex on the the top. We thought it was nice and firm compared to a Novopure with 3in Talalay which we thought would be too cushy and not supportive. This was before we found this site.

Would the 12 in 1 be too soft? Would the Freedom be appropriate? I realize that the Freedom is double the cost of the 12 in 1. If we can be happy in a mattress that would cost us less we would prefer it, but if what made us happy is more then we can swing $1000.

Also wanted to add that my husband is also mostly a side sleeper.

Hi Petro,

Assuming you decide to pull the trigger … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

@ wookiesleeps,

Based on your comments it certainly seems like your mattress is too firm for you.

As you mentioned … you really have two options which are adding a topper or returning the mattress.

If you do decide to go in the topper direction then post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to can help you make the best possible topper choice. Because of the differences in your weight … it may also be worth considering a topper that is the same height but a different firmness level on each side.

Post #3 here and the posts it links to have more information about choosing a mattress for higher body weights that may be helpful in choosing a mattress that would be suitable for your husband (or for couples that have a large difference in their body types).

Both the 12 in 1 customizable mattress (that uses 2 lb polyfoam) and the Freedom mattress (that uses synthetic latex) use good quality and durable materials that would be suitable for your husbands weight in terms of durability but when you can’t test a mattress in person then I would make sure that you have a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer about your comfort choices because they will know more about their own mattresses and be a much more reliable source of guidance about “matching” their mattresses to different body types, sleeping styles, and preferences based on “averages” than anyone else (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

A soft layer that would be suitable for most body types may be too soft for your husband especially and may be more risky in terms of alignment and it may be worth asking them about adding an additional firmer layer (medium or firm) to your purchase so in addition to the different combinations that are possible with both mattresses you can also experiment with replacing the soft layer with something firmer.

Phoenix

I placed my order immediately after posting in this thread. (I wanted the TMU discount!)

I’m impressed - my new mattress will arrive on Thursday. They’ve really cut the lead time down on orders in the past few months.

I’ll be sure to report back with our experiences when it arrives.

Hi Petro,

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Thanks for this thread. Think I’m about to go for the 5 inch!

Hi paperhouse,

Assuming you decide to pull the trigger … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

I received the 10 inch Tuft and Needle mattress 8 nights ago. My first impressions when purchasing it were fabulous. The customer service was spectacular and the delivery was on the exact day and time as expected. The mattress was well packaged and took next to no time to inflate to it’s full 10 inches.

Sleeping on it however is a different matter. I am a side sleeper (and not a big man at 5’9’’ at 145 lbs) and the first few nights were restless as I tossed and turned and could not get comfortable. Every morning for the past week I have awoken with a stiffness in my back between my shoulder blade, and this morning I had a stiffness in my neck. I really did want this mattress to work, which is why I have given it a full week but the soreness continues. I thought maybe it was even my pillow and went out and purchased a new one midweek, but that did not help.

From a company stand point T&N are top notch, unfortunately I do not think this mattress is a good fit for me. I will most likely be in search for a softer mattress.

Hi TheDon,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback … I appreciate it.

It sounds like your mattress may be too firm for you (which wouldn’t be that surprising with a firmer mattress for a lighter side sleeper) but the good news is that you had the foresight to buy a mattress with a great return policy which gave you the chance to test the mattress at home with very little risk.

It may be a good idea to wait for another week or so to give the mattress a little more time to break in and for you to adjust to a new sleeping surface (see post #3 here) but if it is still too firm then you could either purchase a softer topper to add some additional softness and pressure relief or return the mattress for a refund and choose a mattress that is a better “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

Phoenix

Well I just ordered the 10" queen. I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

Hi bramsey123,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve received it and had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Glad to read this (reply to #105). I have been sleeping on the Tuft & Needle for just over a week. The first night’s sleep was fantastic. I woke up and every part of my body felt incredible. But for the last 3 nights I am developing knee pain that wakes me up about 4 hours after I go to bed. I start on my side but end up sleeping on my stomach with a second pillow pressed against my side. I wasn’t sure if it was the firmness of the mattress causing this knee pain but with you having the same experience that is probably it. Once I am up and moving around the pain disappears. But it is strong enough to wake me from an otherwise sound and comfortable sleep. My dog loves the new mattress; she is sleeping much better. But it has to meet my needs first!

This thread has been really helpful - ordering my 10in queen now!

This is my first post - I want to add my thanks to Phoenix for creating this incredibly helpful site, and to everyone who is sharing their experiences. Getting a mattress looks MUCH more complex than it was last time I did this!!!

I found out about the Tuft & Needle beds here, and being a life-long futon sleeper, am going to try one.

My husband and I are @165 and 120 pound side sleepers for the most part. We’ve purchased a series of futons over the last 32 years. Our most recent one is shockingly old - well over ten years, anyway! It was considerably harder than its predecessor (which, I think had a foam core, and I think our current one is solid cotton or a mix of cotton/wool - wish I knew for sure), leading early on to my first ever discomfort - feeling lots of pressure on my hips and knees - so I got a memory foam topper, which took care of that problem (holy crap did it offgas, though – I’d prefer to avoid THAT experience again)… By now, of course, we have a veritable hillock between us, and I know it’s WAY past time to get a new mattress.

I’m a bit nervous that the 5" Tuft & Needle is going to be too firm for us as we’re so skinny, but at the price am hoping a topper will do the trick again if that issue arises.

Has anyone skinny like us tried both the 5" and 10" Tuft mattresses? Is the 10" likely to be any softer? Given that we’ve always used a 5 or 6" thick futon and all our sheets are sized for that, I’m inclined to go for the T&N 5" version.

Our bed, btw, is a platform bed from a futon store in Boston way way back in the day when we made our first ever furniture purchase together. No slats, a solid base.

Hi pinkpantherdee,

I hope you have the chance to share your thoughts and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

@ Chilliebump.

There can be some additional risks and uncertainty involved in purchasing a topper where you haven’t tried a specific mattress/topper combination in person (see post #2 here) but a topper can also be a good solution for adding additional pressure relief to a mattress that is too firm. If you do decide to go in this direction then then post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to can help you use your sleeping experience as a guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness of a topper that would have the best chance of success and includes some of the better sources for toppers that I’m aware of as well.

The 5" and the 10" model are designed to have the same “feel” and firmness level although for some people that are in higher weight ranges and compress the mattress more deeply the thicker mattress may feel a little softer.

This would be a suitable base as long as there aren’t any additional risk factors that could make a solid surface more risky in terms of developing mold or mildew from the more restricted airflow under the mattress (see post #10 here).

Phoenix

I’ve been lurking for a while, but just wanted to thank everyone for their input and opinions that helped me decide to pull the trigger. I ordered a king size ten last night. I hope it helps with my lower back ache I usually wake up with!

I am primarily a stomach sleeper.

Hi Djn1ght,

As you know I think highly of Tuft & Needle and you certainly made a good quality/value choice.

I hope so as well but if you are primarily a stomach sleeper then the odds are higher that a firmer mattress will be a better “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you receive it and have had a chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix