The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

Thanks everyone for their posts here. I found this forum after Tuft and Needle pointed me towards it during a chat support session. We are returning our Stearns and Foster Emelia Rose Lux after about 40 days. The smell was initially almost unbearable. And strangely the mattress feels more firm on one side over the other. Luckily a friend told us about Tuft and Needle so we’re going to give it a shot and hopefully it works out. I found out that their return policy is also really great…instead of shipping it back, they work with you to donate it to a local charity and they issue you a refund with proof of the donation receipt. How awesome is that?

Hi mo9090x,

As you know I think highly of Tuft and Needle and they are certainly a good quality/value choice (especially with their new design … see posts #2 and #6 in this topic.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

This would be true with almost every mainstream mattress you can buy or any mattress that is made one sided (including the Tuft & Needle) because the bottom layers are firmer for support and aren’t designed to sleep on and the upper layers are softer for “comfort” (they don’t have layers that are designed to sleep on on both sides of the mattress).

Phoenix

Lol, what I meant was on the same side the left and right feel like different a firmness. Not sure if it’s our imagination but overall we don’t like the mattress enough to keep it. The price was steep too (compared to Tuft and Needle) at 2300+.

Hi mo9090x,

Oops … I thought you meant top and bottom :slight_smile:

Either way though … the Tuft & Needle you purchased is a much better quality/value choice than any of the major brand mattresses!

Phoenix

anyone have detailed stats on this mattress in addition to it been 2lb of polyfoam? anyone know the ild(ifd) and all those other things phoenix always mentions like sag factor etc.

Hi domaignew,

I don’t think that knowing the ILD/IFD of the individual layers in the 12 in 1 would really have any “real life” meaning to you anyway because with polyfoam ILD/IFD is only one of several specs that affect how soft or firm a polyfoam layer will feel (see post #4 here) and it also doesn’t compare to the ILD/IFD of other types of foam like latex or even other types of polyfoam (the same ILD in both would have different firmness levels) so it really wouldn’t tell you anything about how soft or firm any of the individual layers or any of the layer combinations will feel to you anyway.

These are specs that would only have meaning to someone that was very experienced with many different types of foam materials and familiar with what they mean or “feel like” in their own actual “real life” experience and it’s much simpler to make your choices based on more detailed conversations with a knowledgeable retailer or manufacturer who can describe their mattresses in ways that would make more sense to you rather than using specs that have little meaning by themselves.

There is more about the different ways to make the most suitable mattress choice (either locally or online) and how to identify and minimize the risks involved with each of them in post #2 here and trying to make your firmness choice based on these types of specs will probably do more to confuse you than to help and would be among the least reliable and most risky ways to choose a mattress.

Phoenix

Just an update regarding the 10" from Amazon. It is completely gone from the site now?? I was told two different stories when i called them over the last month so I contacted them by email a couple of days ago.

Here’s the conversation.

Hi. I have called on a couple of occasions inquiring if Amazon was going to be carrying your 10" mattress again. The first time the answer was a pretty clear no. (that was about 4 weeks ago) The second time (10 days ago) I was told that it was just a temporary situation due to your new mattress design and that in approximately 1 month they would have it. As of today Amazon is no longer even listing the 10 inch. Prior to this it was listed and it stated that they were just temporarily out and it could be ordered and shipped when they got new stock. Its important to me to know if they are indeed going to be selling it again as I would prefer to purchase it from them due to financing terms. (I don’t mind waiting) If they are for sure not going to have it I will move on and buy another bed from them or wait until I can afford to purchase it directly from your site. Thank you. Keith L

And their response.
Hi Keith,

I am very sorry about the confusion around amazon and if they will have the 10 or not. We are having issues on our side with amazon and the whole process. The 10 will be on amazon at some point, and we shooting for the end of the month, but I can’t make any promises. I understand the need for financing through amazon and I hope that once you do order the bed, you will like it. Please let us know if you need anything else.

Thanks and again sorry about the confusion.

Stephen S

Hi klphoto,

Thanks for sharing their comments about the availability of their mattresses on Amazon … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

thanks. i was just hoping that using this information i could find something locally to test

Hi domaignew,

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can compare with or “approximate” another one in post #9 here but I doubt that you would be able to find a local mattress that was “close enough” in its specific design to be able to use it as a reliable reference point unless they can tell you about another mattress that they are familiar with that would be somewhat similar to one of the configurations of the Freedom mattress when you talk with them on the phone.

Phoenix

Just ordered the 10 inch today. Been sleeping on a mattress that I inherited around 10 years ago that’s probably at least 20 years old by now. I have some nagging lower back problems and am hoping I will notice a huge difference. Appreciate all the info here and will post my experiences soon.

Hi mglehtonen,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

I received the T&N 10 on May-14-2014 (details and pics in post #107). I am happy to say that the mattress is still holding up very well. I have been very pleased with this purchase, and would definitely buy another T&N.

Hi darkarchon,

Thanks for taking the time to share another update with your longer term experience … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s great to hear that your Tuft and Needle is working out so well for you.

Phoenix

I was wondering if I should be concerned that the Tuft and Needle now has a 1.8 lb/in^2 poly foam base compared to the old 2.0lb/in^2 one? I’m a little concerned because I am replacing an old memory foam mattress that hasn’t really worn well, and I am also on the heavier side.

Hi drewa405,

The previous version of the Tuft & Needle used foam that was in “about” a 2 lb density range (density is normally expressed as a range and isn’t exact) and the nominal density values of the three were about 1.8 and 1.9 lb density. The weakest link of a mattress is the upper layers which are most subject to the stresses of the compression forces that come from sleeping on a mattress and their new design (see posts #2 and #6 here) uses a higher quality/density material in the top 3" of the mattress so if anything it would be very likely to be more durable than their previous version (which would also be a big part of the reason why they increased the warranty from 7 to 10 years).

It would certainly be a suitable choice in its budget range even for those that are in higher than average weight ranges.

Phoenix

Hi,

Have been pouring through all of this tonight and noticed something that was initially confusing me in the discussion and pricing of the 12 in 1… There are essentially two versions of this mattress while only one is actually called the “12 in one”… this one has the polyfoam as described above, and has the $400 price tag. The UD freedom version is twice the price but has the same interchangeable layers in Latex foam… If looking at these was confusing me, I thought it be doing the same for others as well!!!

Truth is, I cant actually afford ANY mattress right now although I do need one!! Still, while a $400 tag is tempting, I am thinking that with all of my neck/shoulder and hip pain when a bed isnt “just right” , that the latex would have to be the better, more supportive option. (currently sleeping ion a many year old air mattress sitting on 16 plastic supports!!! I tend to fill the air to almost the fullest level for greatest support, so I know I need something pretty firm.)

Hi mt_huckleberry,

There is only one version of the 12 in 1 customizable but you’re right that the Freedom mattress has the same basic design even though it uses very different materials (2 lb polyfoam vs synthetic latex).

They are both great quality/value choices and both have the advantage of providing many ways to customize the mattress after a purchase.

Phoenix

I purchased Dreamfoam 12 in 1 3 weeks ago. My final 2 mattress candidates were Tuft & Needle and Dreamfoam 12 in 1. The price and the ability to customization won in favor of Dreamfoam. Even thou Dreamform offers 45 days return which also charges $99 return shipping fee. I always thought I am a firm mattress kind of person but came to find out I much preferred flush setting with the 12 in 1 customization. I had a sleep innovation memory foam mattress prior. Of the two mattresses, memory foam vs polyfoam, I personally preferred the polyfoam due the fact the polyfoam doesn’t sink and mold your body like memory foam. The polyfoam feels like a normal spring mattress which I seem to like. I have been sleeping on the 12 in 1 for about 3 weeks now and I really enjoy it. It’s very comfortable and I wake up with less pain all around but the polyfoam smell still lingers a little even after 3 weeks.

Hi Zodiac,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback about the Dreamfoam 12 in 1 customizable … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

This will soon dissipate to levels that you don’t notice any more but some of the suggestions in post #3 here may help this happen a little more quickly.

Phoenix