The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

Mine T&N 10 just arrived yesterday. They shipped it on the second day after I placed my order. It comes FedEx ground from Carson, California so it takes a while once it’s on the way if you live far from there.

Hi Watson4321,

I think your experience with reading a lot of information and then still wondering “what’s the best choice” would be more of the norm than the exception and I think you did the only thing that can resolve this type of uncertainty which is actually spending some time testing mattresses to to get a better sense of the types of mattresses and materials that work well for you … and that don’t.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you made a good choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had a chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

I have one night under my belt on the new Tuft & Needle 10 that arrived yesterday. Here’s my quick punch list of my thoughts on only one nights sleep:

1. Virtually no odor from the mattress at all. We put a mattress pad (thin polyester, really just a protector) and a sheet on the mattress and if I put my nose directly against the sheet I can smell just a tiny bit of odor. I expect in a day or so it will be gone entirely.

2. I didn’t notice any heat generation from the mattress at all. I am a large man who is sensitive to heat and humidity, and I noticed no heat coming from the mattress last night.

3. The mattress slept firm but very supportive. I am a side sleeper and am worried that it might be too firm, and it seemed very firm but I did not awake with any feeling of pressure point stress or soreness.

4. The mattress makes no noise at all when I turn or roll. None. Motion transfer is almost nonexistent.

5. The dimensions specified are exact…this bet fits tight inside my frame, making me realize that our past mattresses were probably a bit undersized …

6. Tuft & Needle has followed up with me twice about the new mattress and has already read and commented on a review I placed over at Amazon. They are staying on top of their brand, that’s for certain.

More info will follow as I use the mattress for a longer period of time. If you have any questions that I can answer as a new owner please ask.

Hi dwzemens,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback about your experience so far.

It sounds like your mattress is working out very well for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I recently found this forum, which has been a great resource for cutting through the hype.

Based on what I’ve read, I am about to pull the trigger on to 10 in Tuft & Needle because

1. From description, it fits the profile of what I am looking for in terms of firmness
  2. I am not too picky and so I expect there is a high likelihood it will be a good to great match for me
  3. The return policy and decent quality/value
  4. Can’t seem to find the time to go mattress shopping - I’ll be more motivated if this doesn’t work for me

Let me know if you have other suggestions. Thanks!

Hi Nicholson,

It sounds like you are making a good choice for all the right reasons.

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved in choosing a mattress for anyone to make specific suggestions about which mattress would be a good match for someone else in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) but the mattress shopping tutorial includes two links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that may be worth considering as well if you wish to broaden your search.

Phoenix

Update emailed support they credit my account for the 6.5% for BU member. They were nice enough to help me find a donation center for my old mattress. :woohoo:

dwzemens,
You weren’t kidding! I placed my order Tuesday (2/10) and received an email this morning that it was picked up by Fed Ex yesterday (2/11). Looking forward to it arriving!

I also forgot to mention that I received $32.50 (6.5%) off of my T&N 10 purchase by mentioning that I was a member of this forum!

[quote=“Phoenix” post=48662]Hi kkaz,

After 8 years the odds are high that your Stearns & Foster is close to the end of its useful life and there are many people replace them much sooner than that because they tend to use lower quality materials in the comfort layers that can soften or sag prematurely which is most likely the reason for your discomfort.

While the only way to know for sure whether any mattress would be a good match for both of you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is based on your actual testing or sleeping experience … there is little risk in trying it because they have a great return policy. The Tuft & Needle also uses higher quality materials in the comfort layers and unlike your Stearns & Foster … there aren’t any lower quality materials or “weak links” in the design.

If you do decide to pull the trigger then I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix[/quote]

Thanks for your comments! I did pull the trigger on buying the T&N and it’s scheduled to arrive tomorrow! To think that I might only have one more night on that terrible sagging bed… well let’s just say I’m refreshing the FedEx tracking page frequently.

I still kick myself for getting caught up in mattress salesman hype 8 years ago. I think I paid about $1000 for that bed, and to hear that despite the “premium” marketing S&F uses low quality materials makes me pretty mad at 8-years-ago-me. But I guess I can be glad for mattress underground and that I’m not making the same mistake again!

So far I am thrilled with T&N’s customer service. I ordered the bed over the weekend, got a welcome email on Monday, tracking info Tuesday, and yesterday the mattress underground discount refund hit my bank account. Pretty great experience so far. Can’t wait to try out the bed and let everyone know my thoughts.

Hi kkaz,

Unfortunately you’re certainly not alone in this and it’s even more unfortunate when people buy a $2-3,000 major brand mattress and find that they can no longer sleep well on it after just a few years so the only good news is that at least your mattress lasted for you for 8 years (although you probably didn’t sleep well on it for all of that time).

In any case … congratulations on your new mattress … and you certainly made a much better quality/value choice this time around :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Just a heads up for anyone who would prefer to buy from Amazon ( for financing or bonus points reasons ) The 10 " is now back in stock. I chatted with T&N and they said they fulfill the orders and you still have the 30 day sleep trial. (free shipping also)

I would assume however you would not get the MU discount.

Hi klphoto7,

Thanks for the heads up :slight_smile:

Just as a clarification as well … if you are a forum member here your sleep trial would be 60 days but the 6.5% discount and the extended trial only apply to purchases that are made from their own website not with Amazon purchases.

Phoenix

Phoenix - just and FYI, I was just chatting with the good folks at T&N and if you purchase through Amazon, you are not eligible for the MU benefits. I have some significant Amazon credits through my workplace, so it wouldn’t make sense to NOT order via Amazon.

With that, many, many MANY thanks to all who’ve posted on this thread, especially those who’ve come back months and months later - that’s the really valuable feedback for those of us who’ve not yet purchased.

Just pulled the trigger on a Cal King Ten and will do my best to keep up with feedback as I go through the process.

Cheers,
David

Hi socaldave,

They emailed me as well and asked me to change the information on their main listing here to specify that the discount and extended trial only applied to their own website purchases and I had already edited my previous reply.

They had asked me to include Amazon when they were first listed and became a member but now that the Ten is available on Amazon it makes much more sense to apply the discount only to purchases from their own site because the “tradeoff” for the visibility of a listing on Amazon is a fairly steep Amazon commission that affects their margins.

Thanks for posting to make sure that I knew about the change … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As always I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it as well.

Phoenix

Finally got my order in for my 10in T&N I will keep you guys advised of how it goes ( which I am certain will be well ) Their customer service has been great so far.

Hi Farseth,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

Thanks everyone, especially Phoenix, for all the great info. I’m going to be ordering a T&N and I’ll give an update after living with it for a while.

yomyyo24,

I’m glad the site could help you … and congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

First Night Report - T&N 10"

Since this is the “diary” thread I thought it would be okay to give my initial report here, in case it’s helpful to anyone else.

Received the mattress as scheduled and getting it out of the plastic and unrolled/uncompressed was easy as pie.

Upon first laying down on it, my boyfriend and I were both really pleased. I’ve never slept on an all-foam mattress before, and I really liked the sensation of feeling such firm support while also having just the right amount of softness. The lack of motion-transfer is great, and this mattress definitely resists the crater issue that my 70-lbs-heavier-than-me BF caused on the old mattress. There’s a bit of a crater if I’m super close to him, (and he likes to sleep-cuddle whereas I’d prefer more room, but that’s a relationship issue not a mattress issue, heh.) But if he’s at least a few inches away I feel like I’m actually sleeping on a level surface for the first time in months/years.

Unfortunately I woke up with a lot of back pain this morning. I think I was expecting immediate miracles with my new T&N which is probably unfair. My back pain is mid-back, in the muscles right along my spine, and more on one side than the other. I think when I’m on my side I tend to twist too much - tilting my hips forward to almost a half-stomach position while keeping my shoulders more upright somewhat like Phoenix describes in this post.

I think (?) that I developed this bad sleeping posture to compensate for the crater issue with my old bed, and I really hope that after a few weeks of the T&N I’ll be able to un-learn it and the back pain will ease. I definitely felt okay when I was sleeping on my back, it’s just that I’m probably a 70% side-sleeper so I do need things to get better on that front. I felt a little bit of hip pressure from the firmness of the mattress at first so we’ll see if that continues or eases.

Overall I’m still pleased with my decision to give the T&N a try given how easy it was to purchase and the easy return policy. I still have hope that giving my body a few weeks to adjust and the mattress some time to break in will lead to a good sleep experience for me.