The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

Hi FireFox,

You may have described the most likely cause here.

It may be worthy trying a different pillow because the gap between your head and the pillow may have changed with a different mattress so your memory foam pillow may no longer suitable to keep your head and neck in good alignment and in combination with the pressure of your chin on your hands is impairing circulation.

Some of the suggestions in posts #2 and #3 here may also be helpful.

The only reliable way to know is to try it because there are too many unknowns and variables involved to predict whether any mattress will work for you with any certainty and other people’'s experience on a mattress may be very different from your own. Either it will work and of course you would be happy or it doesn’t and like the Casper it also has a great return policy so there would be little risk in trying it outside of the time and effort involved in testing it out and returning or donating it and starting over again … but I would experiment with your pillow first because if I had to guess either your pillow and/or your posture is the most likely cause.

Phoenix

After much consideration and research I have went ahead and ordered the tuft and needle. It should be here by the end of the week and I can’t wait to try it out! I also want to thank Phoenix for such a great site and to all the members for all the feedback and your experiences. I will make sure to follow up once I get a chance to try it out.

Hi beeks1305,

I’m glad the site could help you … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you made a good quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I’ve been lurking here for a while and thought I’d share my experience so far. I’m a 6’5", 265 lb, back/side sleeper coming off of a plush spring mattress. After a couple weeks of gathering info and comparing mattresses, I pulled the trigger on the Tuft & Needle. It wasn’t at the top of my short list, but I decided that the risk free trial made it worth taking a look at. I wanted to love it, but it’s just too firm for my taste, especially when side sleeping. I gave it a couple of weeks to break-in and adjust to it, but I haven’t had a good night’s sleep yet. Not to say it’s a bad product…it’s a well made product and everyone sleeps differently, so your results may vary, but it is definitely more firm than it is balanced.

I also have decided to try the T&N mattress. The information on this website has been so helpful, thank you!

Hi Dorq,

Thanks for sharing your comments and experience with your Tuft & Needle … I appreciate it.

I’m sorry to hear that your mattress didn’t work out as well as you hoped for but I’m glad that you had the foresight to try an online mattress that has a good return policy and had good options available to you if your choice didn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

As you probably know from your reading here … there is no “standard” definition or consensus of opinion for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness or even what they would call “balanced” compared to others as well and a mattress that is firm for one can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. This is all relative and subjective and is as much an art as a science. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here). In other words your own personal experience is the only reliable way to know how firm or soft or “balanced” any mattress feels to you regardless of how firm or soft or “balanced” it may feel to someone else or how anyone else may “rate” it.

Now that you are back in the market I hope you’ve had the chance to read the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

If you are still attracted to the idea of online companies that offer a “one choice fits all” mattress then there is more information about many of them in post #3 here and the posts it links to.

The tutorial also includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of as well (in the optional online step) and if you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about the better options or “possibilities” I’m aware of in your area as well.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply Phoenix. I agree that there is no consensus when it comes to firmness levels. As I’ve seen with various reviews describing the same product as"too soft", “too firm”, or “perfect”, it’s highly dependent on the individual. With that in mind, I gave it a shot since it was highly rated and was a low-risk purchase but it just didn’t do it for me. As far as a replacement goes, I’ve already ordered the new “one size fits all” model from Brooklyn in Medium. The price is right, the quality looks great, and they’ve confirmed the Medium would be softer than T&N, so here’s hoping.

Hi Dorq,

You are among the first to purchase the mattress since it has only just been launched.

As you know you are certainly making a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

To use the discount code for T&N do we need to call them? I dont see a code on this site or a spot on their website that allows for a code.

i ordered a mattress last week. I emailed them after I ordered and they gave me the discount as a credit on my credit card.

Hi Dasupertech,

There isn’t a discount code but as Seri mentioned all you need to do is call or email them to let them know you are a member of the forum here and they will credit the discount to the card that you used for the purchase within a few days.

Phoenix

Thank you all for your very informative posts! They have helped me tremendously in deciding on ordering a Tuft & Needle 10" mattress. I"m looking forward to it arriving and to giving my review. Thanks again!

Hi ImGinger,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

So, I saw where members could extend their sleep trial by 30 days. Well, when I inquired about it, Tuft & Needle informed me of their new (and awesome) trial and return policy. In case anyone else hasn’t read about it yet, here it is, and it’s wonderful!

"Thanks for reaching out to us!

I have some great news for you! We have recently upgraded from our 30-night sleep trial to a 100-night sleep trial. This means you get 100 nights to try the mattress out and let us know what you think.

If you find that you are unsatisfied with our product our return policy is simple:

Email us
Donate the mattress to a local charity
Email us a picture of the donation receipt 

Once we have your donation receipt, we provide you a full refund that goes back on your card in about 2-3 business days. If you find that you’re having some trouble finding a place to donate the mattress–no worries! We’re experts at finding donation locations and would be happy to help you with some options.

I hope this information helps! Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with. Have a great day and happy Zzz’s :)"

Hi ImGinger,

As you mentioned they changed their trial period from 30 days to 100 days about a month ago so the trial period extension for the forum members here was no longer relevant and I removed the extended trial on the members directory here and the online list here (see post #420 here).

Thanks for the reminder so that others that haven’t visited their site will also know that it’s now 100 days.

Phoenix

Thank you. Somehow, I missed that, but it was a pleasant surprise to read about the new policy. And I just love their return policy if the mattress doesn’t work out. I mean, how cool is that - encouraging us to donate the mattress to receive a refund. Thanks again!

I applaud their effort to donate a used mattress to a worthy charity, but someone has to pay for those returned/rejected mattresses. That someone has to be the customer who keeps the mattress. They must average it out and build it into the purchase price.

Nothing is free. :wink:

Hi PapaMike,

[quote]I applaud their effort to donate a used mattress to a worthy charity, but someone has to pay for those returned/rejected mattresses. That someone has to be the customer who keeps the mattress. They must average it out and build it into the purchase price.

Nothing is free. ;)[/quote]

Your right that everything that is included as a “free bonus” with any purchase (including mattresses) is built into the cost of the product and free return/exchange policies or free delivery etc are all built into the cost of a mattress and the majority of people who don’t return or exchange a mattress are the ones who pay for the minority of people that do (see post #25 here).

Phoenix

After reading various reviews and part of this thread, we’ve decided to try the Tuft & Needle. I was wondering though. Do they not make the five inch anymore?

Hi rioerdana,

They still sell the five inch mattress on Amazon here but it’s fulfilled by Amazon and isn’t sold directly by Tuft & Needle so your purchase would be subject to the 30 day Amazon large item return policy and the return costs involved (see post #11 here) instead of the Tuft & Needle 100 day free return policy and you wouldn’t be eligible for the TMU discount.

Outside of a mattress for a guest bedroom or a child though … I think that the 10" would probably be a better choice for most people.

Either way though … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix