The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

Been a few weeks, still love my bed. I also really like this company in general, I got a very nice hand written thank you card after I responded to a survey they sent me in an email. The personalization with their customer support is awesome, more companies should be like this. They pretty much secured me for life at this point, when I need a queen size bed I’ll be going back to them.

Hi berfles,

Thanks for the update and feeback … I appreciate it :).

It’s great to see you’re happy with your mattress and their customer service.

Phoenix

Great seeing a topic on this, and finding out about this forum. I’m in the midst of shopping for a mattress, and this has been really helpful.

I generally like firmer foam mattresses and like the business model (and cost!) of Tuft & Needle, plus the generous return window and the high reviews. Figure worst case if I can’t sleep, I can always return… hoping to order a 10" in the next couple days, will post my feedback as well!

Hi amt897,

While their business model isn’t particularly unique compared to other resellers or some of the manufacturers that are members of the site … they are certainly a good quality/value option for those who are in a lower budget range and like the idea or feel of a firmer polyfoam mattress.

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you pull the trigger and have had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

Received my mattress yesterday. It expanded quickly and I did not notice any off-gassing. It is much firmer than my previous mattress. For the first time in quite a while, I feel that I’m on a mattress that is supporting me properly. The build quality seems good. This is my first all foam mattress so I’m not sure what to expect in terms of longevity.

Regarding the firmness, while I like the support that it gives, I don’t think my hips sink in enough when I’m sleeping on my side. I’m thinking a topper may help with that. I’m currently between 230 and 240 pounds and am not sure what effect a topper will have. I’m thinking latex or polyfoam. I don’t know if two inches or three inches would be best or what ILD’s I should be considering.

I also just want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences. This forum has been very helpful in finding a good quality mattress!

Hi SleepNYC,

Thanks for the feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I would make sure you sleep on the mattress for a few weeks before doing anything so it has a chance to break in and you have a chance to adjust to a new sleeping surface but if you do decide that you need a topper then post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to will help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point in choosing a topper that will have the best chance of working well for you.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Like so many others, I want to say thanks for all your diligence and hard work maintaining this site. It has been a real godsend in terms of sorting out an overwhelming amount of information. After much deliberation, I’m ordering a Dreamfoam 12 in 1. I’ll let you know how it goes once we’ve had a chance to try it out!

Hi Tallularue,

Thanks for the kind words … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a good quality/value choice that has lots of options to customize the mattress after you receive it and I’m looking forward to your feedback after you’ve had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

I have now been sleeping on my mattress officially for a week. Both me and the hubby like it so far. I have never slept on a foam mattress prior to this one, and did not know what to expect. I am not a fan of memory foam due to the sinking, but this is completely different. It is a firm mattress, but softer than sleeping on carpet. The motion transfer is almost non-existent. One of the main things we were looking for. So far it’s a win in our books!

Hi jazz,

Thanks for the update and your feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s great to hear that you are doing so well with your new mattress and as you mentioned … polyfoam is a very different material and feels and performs very differently from memory foam!

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix:

Are there any options for a firmer polyfoam mattress in the higher budget range?

Hi darkarhon,

Polyfoam in general is a lower cost material than either memory foam, latex, or most innersprings or other mattress materials so an all polyfoam mattress would tend to be in a lower budget range compared to a mattress that used more specialized components or foams (see this article about polyfoam comfort layers). There are some grades of polyfoam called HR polyfoam (polyfoam that uses a different chemical formulation and is 2.5 lb density or higher, has a compression modulus of 2.4 or higher, and has about 60% resiliency) which are more “latex like” which would be in a higher budget range compared to HD polyfoam but these aren’t commonly seen in the industry in an “all polyfoam” construction.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,

Any idea if T&N has released ILD values for their Five or Ten mattress? I am trying to see how it compares to foamonline.com’s foam density and ILD chart.

Link:

Hi darkarchon,

I doubt that they would release them because ILD is one of the comfort specs (not a quality spec) that would have little meaning to most people anyway. This would be especially true when you consider all the additional complexities of how the individual ILD’s and layer thicknesses of 3 layers will combine together with all the other specs such as compression modulus and others that would be part of how a mattress feels and performs (see post #2 here).

Their return policy gives people a way to try it with little risk and personal experience is really the only way to know how a mattress will feel and perform in terms of PPP.

In terms of the “quality” specs … their foam layers are in the 1.8 - 2 lb range.

Phoenix

I just placed an order for the T&N Ten. I will post updates over the next few weeks after it arrives, and plan to utilize the trial period to evaluate this mattress.

Hi darkarchon,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you made a good quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Well I’m a week into sleeping on the T&N 10 inch mattress. I like that there is no bounce in the mattress. It feels very solid. I still think its a bit firm for me to side sleep. I feel pressure in my hips when I sleep on the side. But the firmness has allowed me to sleep on my back which i never could do in my old mattress. I think I need some kind of topper but don’t want something too thick. Just something the help with the pressure when I sleep on my side.

Hi SleepNYC,

Thanks for the update :slight_smile:

Post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to in post #8 here may be helpful in using your experience on your mattress to decide on the type, thickness, and softness of a topper that you think would work best for you.

Phoenix

For the T&N Ten users, what base are you using: box spring, platform slats, or bunkie boards?

I have a platform bed with slats, and was curious if bunkie boards would provide more support i.e no chance for the mattress to sneak away through the gaps.

Thoughts welcome.

Hi darkarchon,

I don’t own a Tuft & Needle mattress but I can make a few comments and hopefully others that see your post and own the Tuft & Needle will share their thoughts as well. How your platform bed compared to a bunkie board would depend on the type of bunkie board you were considering and the specifics of the support surface on your platform bed. If a bunkie board has a solid surface it would be more rigid and evenly “supportive” than many foundations or platform beds that have wider gaps between the slats but it would also provide less airflow under the mattress (see post #10 here). I would tend to avoid a flexible box spring with a foam mattress unless there was a specific and compelling reason to use it because it can affect the feel and performance of a foam mattress which usually does best with a rigid non flexing and evenly supportive surface underneath it.

There are some slatted bunkie boards listed in post #4 here and posts #10 - #12 here may also be helpful if there are wider gaps between the slats on your platform bed than you would prefer.

Phoenix