The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

Sorry to ask so many questions but if I am going to spend this amount of money on a mattress I have got to get it right . Saw three fold away frames the Pragma, Sleep master, and structures -what are your thoughts on these. I like the Idea that they are the the same height as my frame and box spring 14" they are all on Amazon
thanks again :huh:

Hi ydelle,

No … I would avoid the ones that are missing the wires in the middle section and I would also be cautious with the ones that have fewer wires (such as 6 or 7 longitudinal wires) depending on the type of base foam was in your mattress and on the importance of saving a small amount in terms of price.

The first post of this thread has my thoughts about the “grid type” foundations in general and my preference for the ones that have more wires and a smaller grid pattern. Overall though the more longitudinal wires there are and the smaller the gaps the more evenly supportive the foundation would be and the less chance that the foam will sink through the gaps over time.

If you have a mattress with a latex base then this would be even more important because of the elasticity of latex. With a polyfoam base layer it would be less of a concern but this would also depend on the elasticity and firmness of the polyfoam. You can read more about this in post #10 here.

Even with a polyfoam base though … I would tend towards a version with more wires and a smaller grid pattern because it is more evenly supportive unless the small difference in price that goes along with higher long term risk was worth it to you. I would also make sure that whatever version you choose meets the criteria of the manufacturers warranty.

Phoenix

Found something interesting on one of the web sites Phoenix had listed. It sells a “bed rug” that is supposed to help with ventilation if you have a solid platform bed, rather than a slatted one.

Another question - is there a difference in the amount of ventilation needed in organic vs not organic mattresses? Looking at this one that got good reviews on Amazon, and is a good price. Not organic for the bulk of the mattress, but a layer with talalay, that helps for adjusting the firmness.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KQ8YC2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=APCUWEOU23BHI

Thanks!

Jana

Hi Wheetaqbix,

No … ventilation and temperature and humidity control are completely separate issues from whether a mattress or its materials are organic or not.

There aren’t any organic components or materials in this mattress at all … although Brooklyn Bedding that makes it is a member here and I certainly agree that the mattresses they make are great quality and value. As you mentioned the top comfort layer can be chosen in a range of firmness levels, it can also be spit in a king size with a different comfort choice on each side of the mattress, and it also can be exchanged at a reasonable cost if it’s necessary for a softer or firmer comfort layer after the purchase.

Phoenix

buying a latex mattress is a very expensive proposition. I called penny mustard to see how much their foundation was so I had something to go by. mattress.com had one for 249.00. I am also looking in to a full to see if that would be a cheaper route.
Since memory foam is out because of the heat what other brand would be advised for Fibromyalgia/ Myafasia Pain.

Hi ydelle,

There is often very little difference between a full size latex mattress and a queen because manufacturers often use queen size layers and cut them down to full size.

I would keep in mind that some types of memory foam are cooler than others although as you mentioned as a group they are warmer and more insulating than latex. There are also other factors that contribute to the sleeping temperature of a mattress besides just the foam that is used which you can read in post #2 here.

A mattress is only as good as it’s construction and the materials inside it. Any manufacturer can use any materials they choose to make their mattresses and each person will have their own specific needs and preferences in terms of the type of materials or the design of a mattress that work best for them so good testing and knowing what is in your mattress would be more important than focusing on a specific manufacturer. The materials in the mattress and the design of the mattress is always more important than the brand label on the mattress would have little importance to me.

I would also make sure that you have read post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices that fit your specific criteria and circumstances.

The most important things when you have specific health conditions that put you “outside of the normal range” would be to connect and work with the most knowledgeable and experienced local manufacturers or retailers that are fully transparent about what is in their mattresses and to make sure you do some very careful testing that is as objective and specific as possible.

Phoenix

well I found out the foundation for the latex mattress at Penny Mustard is made by flex steel, also True Coil Boxspring, and Semi-Flex Boxspring.
which would be the better?
full 231.00 queen.305.00 or should I get on online pictures below

Hi ydelle,

In most cases … an all latex mattress generally does best with a rigid non flexing slatted foundation with slats that are no more than 3" apart (and preferably less). In some cases thinner latex mattresses are made and designed as part of a “sleep system” and have either a box spring with flexible coil springs or torsion springs (such as the flex steel foundation) or flexible slats underneath them and these can change the feel and performance of the mattress because they add extra “give” under the mattress so if you test a latex mattress on one of these and it works better for you in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) than the same mattress on a rigid non flexing foundation then I would use the one that that worked best in your mattress testing.

As you can also see in post #10 here … I (along with latex mattress manufacturers I have talked with) also have some hesitations about the long term effects of using a wire grid foundation under an all latex mattress because the wires have less supportive surface area than a slatted foundation and there could be a long term risk of the flexible latex sinking into the gaps in the wire grid or the wires impressing into the latex.

The first post of this foundation thread and post #2 here has more information about box springs and foundations and which types generally do best with different types of mattresses along with some good sources for foundations if you are looking for an alternative to what the manufacturer of your mattress recommends. If you do decide to go in this direction though make sure that the foundation you choose is both suitable for our mattress and meets the warranty criteria of your mattress manufacturer.

Phoenix

so you are saying that the foundation I sent in the attachment would be better ( is this a good brand -or is there a better one) than the one that is sold by Penny Mustard (remember they also said a solid board was good too. I can always order the mattress (it takes 17 days) and then buy the foundation in the mean time. If I got the wood foundation would it make the Chateau too firm. I will write the mattress manufacture to find out and let you know

Hi ydelle,

[quote]so you are saying that the foundation I sent in the attachment would be better ( is this a good brand -or is there a better one) than the one that is sold by Penny Mustard (remember they also said a solid board was good too. I can always order the mattress (it takes 17 days) and then buy the foundation in the mean time. If I got the wood foundation would it make the Chateau too firm. I will write the mattress manufacture to find out and let you know
[/quote]

I really don’t go by brand but by design and materials. As I mentioned in my last reply it would depend on which one worked best for you when you tested the mattress. If you tested the mattress on a firm non flexing foundation then the one that you attached the picture would be comparable in terms of how it felt under your mattress to any other firm non flexing foundation but not comparable to a foundation that had some flex to it.

I don’t know how far apart the slats are in the foundation you linked but if they are 3" or less then it would be fine … as long as it met the warranty criteria for your mattress (some manufacturers insist on buying the matching foundation).

My previous reply went through the pros and cons and my thoughts about of each of the foundation choices you mentioned and how to choose between them and it’s really a matter of which one would be best for you and you are most comfortable buying. All of them would be suitable even though if all other factors were equal (and I had tested the mattress on a firm non flexing foundation) I would personally prefer a suitable slat foundation for an all latex mattress for the reasons I mentioned.

Phoenix

Hi,

I’m planning to buy a latex mattress from an experienced (member of the Underground). Their website says that you can put the new mattress on your existing box spring. The one I have is 10 years old was made very well, is a “short” version about 4-5 inches high, has slats alternating with wires, and has two extra metal horizontal beams with feet from box to floor so there are 6 points of contact/support.
Does this seem adequate?

Many thanks,
Osakamoon

as an up date to the first of the threads— us boxspring has free shipping.

Hello Phoenix-

Thanks for all of the helpful information.

I did purchase the IKEA Sultan Edsele latex mattress. I got the foundation from the site you recommended, www.usboxspring.com/ I went with their wood foundation as I also purchased a wood frame from Overstock.com to give the mattress and foundation additional height (and I wanted a pretty headboard and footboard) :slight_smile:

The guy at US Box Spring (forgot his name) was very nice and helpful (I picked up the phone to call because I did not get a response to my email) But they do have free shipping and offer a 5% rebate on my PayPal account when I mentioned I was referred by The Mattress Underground Nice perk!

So far, so good with the new sleep set up. It’s been two weeks.

I may still consider some type of mattress topper to add a bit more cush.

Any recommendations for a latex mattress topper?

Thanks again.

Hi needanewbed,

Congratulations on your new mattress (and foundation) :slight_smile:

There are some topper guidelines and links to some of the better topper sources I’m aware of (including latex) in post # 2 here and the other posts it links to.

Phoenix

Hi,

I haven’t had a chance to read through all of the posts so my apologies if this has been answered before.

I have a King Dunlop latex mattress from Savvy Rest and it is extremely heavy and the slat end caps that are made of plastic on our platform bed have broken nearly all of them.

Ours look like the picture on this link except it’s not in a cover.
http://www.usboxspring.com/metal.htm

Is there a place that sells these end caps in sturdier material? Right now, my husband taped down all of the slats as a temporary solution and it’s working. The bed feels firmer as a result which is a good thing for us. Thanks for any insight.

Hi treehugger,

I don’t know of any no but I would call the manufacturer or the retailer where you purchased it to see if they have any replacements that are hopefully stronger. If the plastic caps can be removed completely and there is a way to put regular slats on your bedframe (you may need to add side rails for the slats to sit on) then it may be worthwhile just replacing the slats either with rigid ones or with flexible ones like these from Ikea (the Laxeby can also be adjusted for firmness as well).

Phoenix

Thank you! Will try your suggestions. There is so much good information on this site. Glad to have found it. I have much reading to do!

First off, thank you thank you thank you.

This site has helped me so much. I am getting married in a few months and am looking to buy our new bed. We went to about 5 different major retailers and flopped on every bed they had, but all we got out of that was more questions and the feeling that we were getting sold a mattress rather than us buying one. So when I went home and started researching (again) and found this site I was so thankful. Finally I feel like I am making an informed decision.

I did have one question about foundations. We are getting a 13" latex mattress and are thinking about offsetting the height a bit by getting a 5" foundation rather than a 9" one. Is there any difference beside the height? For instance, will one (more often than not) last longer? Does it make a difference for support? Are there any other considerations I am missing with regards to a 5" vs 9" profile foundation?

Sorry if this was already brought up in this topic. I looked for it but might have missed it.

sike64

Hi siket4,

No … the height of a foundation is strictly preference and depends on how high above the floor (or below the headboard or footboard) you want the surface of the mattress to be. If you are comparing the same type of foundation with the same slat or wire grid design, then the height makes absolutely no difference in terms of support or durability.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I just wanted to let you and your readers know that for me, 2" of N1 ended up being the best solution over the 3" of N2, over 6" of 37 ILD. I had no idea that I was such a delicate flower :slight_smile: but with this combination, I wake up with no pain or stiffness anywhere, which is just awesome! I think that without a cover, 1" of N1 would have been fine but I was surprised how much the bamboo/cotton stretch cover changed the feel of the latex. I realize that I likely have a few unnecessary inches in the mix but this is just how it all worked out in the end. I can’t thank you enough for your help while I was trying to figure this all out!

~Debbie