The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

Hi spup345,

[quote]Any opinion on whether or not this Spa Sensations frame would be acceptable for a Latex mattress (getting the Morgongova from Ikea for my daughter).

www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensations-Elite-...l-Bed-Frame/34974328[/quote]

An all latex mattress will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components need to be strong and durable and stable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without any of the parts bending, sagging, or breaking over time. The support surface under the mattress should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. I would suggest that in a slatted support system (either a foundation on a steel or wooden bedframe or a platform bed with a slatted support surface) that any gaps between the slats are no more than 3" (with 1 x 3 slats) although less than that would be better yet.

I wouldn’t use a wire grid foundation for an all latex mattress like the Morgongava. It may be suitable with some modifications although it still wouldn’t be my first choice (see post #10 here).

As long as your “final result” provides a stable rigid surface and the slats are strong enough and well secured to the bedframe and wouldn’t be subject to moving or sliding or falling through the bedframe and they have the necessary spacing with good center support then they should be fine.

If you are looking for a very low profile option then Lonset base should be fine as well as long as it fits securely inside your bedframe (make sure you measure it to make sure) and is fully supported along the entire length.

The Flobeds slat conversion kit here (you can see the prices in post #6 here) may also work well but once again I would make sure it fits securely and is fully supported inside your bedframe.

You could also use them directly on the floor if you wanted a very low profile sleeping system and eliminate the bedframe completely.

Phoenix