The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

I’m currently shopping for an adjustable base for a queen sized latex mattress. Looking for a model with pillow tilt, lumbar support, and preferably wall hugging capabilities. I’ve found quite a few options and am having trouble narrowing it down at this point, so I’m opening up to feedback from anyone who owns/has tried or is familiar with these models and/or companies. Considering all factors (build quality, features, warranty, overall value) would you recommend one over the other?

And with some of the lesser known companies (like dynasty and sven & son) are there legitimate reasons (warranty, build quality, etc) to stick with one of the more popular brands like L&P or are these reliable contenders?

Models I’m Looking At:

Dynasty DM 9000S: Adjustable Bed Base Only | DM9000s Series | Dynasty Mattress
Sven and Son Platinum https://svenandson.com/collections/adjustable-beds/products/elite-adjustable-base
Leggett and Platt Prodigy Comfort Elite Premium Models
Ergomotion Elite https://www.ergomotion.com/products/adjustable-bases/elite/
Ergomotion 8300 Amazon.com
BEAUTYREST BLACK LUXURY Beautyrest Black Luxury Adjustable Base
Serta iComfort Motion Custom II https://www.searsoutlet.com/br/pdp/serta-icomfort-icomfort-motion-custom-ii-adjustable-base-queen/159951
TEMPUR ERGO EXTEND ADJUSTABLE BASE https://www.tempurpedic.com/bases-and-foundations/tempur-ergo-extend/v/2562/

Any recommendations for/against would be greatly appreciated, especially if you own any of these models. Or if I’ve missed a good option, feel free to let me know. Thanks!

Hey xjxkx,
Welcome to the TMU Forum :slight_smile: .

Sounds like you’ve done a good bit of homework and have made decisions on what your preferences are for an adjustable base. For those consumer subscribers who may be doing the same research, I’d like to add insights from a similar topic, Went Shopping post #3 , Phoenix offers good insights for adjustable base shopping: “If you are considering an adjustable base, it would be important to check with the manufacturer or retailer of your current mattress to make sure that the mattress is suitable for use on an adjustable base and that using an adjustable base wouldn’t damage the mattress or void the warranty. In general terms … foam materials such as latex, memory foam, or polyfoam along with most pocket coils are “bendable” and flexible enough to use with an adjustable bed but thicker layers of firmer polyfoam or thicker mattresses may not contour as well to the different positions and in some cases the constant bending can affect the durability of the foam so I would always make sure you confirm with the manufacturer or retailer that your mattress is suitable for use with an adjustable bed…Since most of the well known adjustable bed manufacturers are reliable … I would choose between them based on price and features comparisons that include the features and benefits that are most important to you. The adjustable bed thread here (READ: much info on features to consider) has more information that you can use to make price/features comparisons between the more popular manufacturers and also includes some links to some sources you can use for pricing reference purposes (there can be a wide range of prices for the same models from store to store).”

Good luck on your search and keep us posted on your progress.
Cheers,
Sensei

We have a split King Sven and son assistance base. Very happy with it and the price. Hardest part about setting it up was getting it inside the house, they are fairly heavy. But a great base!

Hello -

New member here so please pardon my ignorance. Tried to do some research on this forum, but it was a bit overwhelming so thought I would piggy back off this thread to ask a pointed question…

I’m a 35 year old female that had back surgery last year to remove a herniated disc (L5S1), and now have an arthritic back. Recently I’ve been noticing A LOT of discomfort in the mornings when getting out of bed. I believe it’s time for my husband (whose 6’2 and 250 himself) to replace our nine year old BeautyRest pillowtop mattress. We went to a Sleep Number store yesterday, and I truly believe I need an adjustable base set up as I don’t believe I can lay flat any more. My husband is pretty indifferent, but being a finance guy he could not swallow the price tag of that place (the base/mattress combo I liked was middle of the road and still ~$7K!).

All that said - does anyone have any suggested reading/recommendations for my situation? I think the process is a bit more difficult given my back history and current situation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

I have a bed frame that has those flexible slats that seem extremely flimsy to me. They are also 5.2 inches apart!!!
So I went down the street to Lowe’s and bought a high density fiberboard with holes “the same stuff that you would see someone using as a pegboard to organize a tool shed or store rack”
I wanted to get the board with holes so that it could still breathe.
I had a 4’x8’ board cut to 4’x80" so it’s not perfect but I can easily tell the added support and I have stood up and bounced up and down and it has held. It has given me a better peace of mind.

Hi L5S1_ArthritisQueen,

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I am sorry to hear about your discomfort upon waking up in the morning due to the post-surgery “arthritic back” . As you do have some very specific health considerations, nothing can replace your own personal testing. You’d obviously want to consider something that allows for enough surface comfort, and also assists with pressure point relief, while still overall being resilient enough and provide enough support while sleeping. Overall, the two basic functions of a mattress are to support and to provide comfort (you can read more about the basic functions of a mattress here ), with posture and alignment being the first priority and then comfort/ pressure relief “plushness” coming second. I’d also suggest that you consider the adjustable bed after you found the best suitable mattress for you.

When considering any mattress, please be wary of any claims of health benefits, including the relief of back pain. While certain people may respond better or worse to different products, there is no mattress that can make sure a claim with any degree of reproducible certainty. I just wanted to mention that as a cautionary statement as many people tend to get hypnotized by marketing stories. Also, the ~$&K price tag or manufacturer name is not an indicator of quality and suitability, so I’d do a hard reset and start with the first step to find your best match.
The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here (there is a condensed version of it at the end of that post) which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps, more importantly, know how and why to avoid the worst ones. Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well he will sleep), durability (how long he will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

When assessing any product, also be sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

While we can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see post #2 here ).

Hopefully, the information in this reply will give you a good start but if you are stuck with any of the steps in the tutorial or have any other questions we can help with then you are certainly welcome to post them on the forum.
Phoenix

Hi all,

Thanks for this site. The information has been fantastic and very eye opening.

My wife and I have started shopping for a bed and mattress. We bought the bed itself this weekend, and are now realizing that we may have made a mistake. Given some space constraints, we wanted something with built-in storage and bought the Milano bed (specifically the Storage Bed option) from De Fehr Furniture (https://www.defehr.com/product/master-bedroom/series-646/). We’ve bought their furniture in the past. It’s well constructed and of solid maple.

We purchased the bed only (headboard without extensions, foodboard, rails) with the drawers underneath. The bed has what looks like a plywood platform mattress base. Here’s the installation manual (the Storage Bed sections starts on Page 11): https://www.defehr.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/646-MILANO-DEFEHR-BEDROOM.pdf

After my reading of the resources here, I’m starting to think that we should not have bought a bed with a platform base. We haven’t really started shopping for the mattress, but I’m concerned about airflow. I know we can use something like a coir bed rug, but I’m worried that won’t be adequate air flow.

We do have a few weeks to cancel the order without penalty, so we aren’t stuck into a purchase.

Does anyone have recommendations for a platform storage bed, ideally solid wood, with integrated drawers on rails and a slat base for improved circulation? My wife wants the base as close to the ground as possible, too.

We saw options on MFC and Dormio, but the drawers are unfortunately on castors and not integrated into the frame. We’re concerned with scratching on our hardwood floors. The options from Ikea same to be the same type of system, and likely aren’t very strong foundations.

Thanks for the help!

So, we actually think we are going to cancel the order and shop for a solid wood bed with a slatted wood base instead, and use some sort of underbed storage option such as plastic bins.

I am discussing some options with Mario at MFC. His solid wood beds seem competitively priced, customizable in finish colours, and have slats 3.25" apart with the option to double up for slats about 1" apart. So they should be suitable for all manufacturers and mattress types.

Hey crr243,

Welcome to the TMU Forum :slight_smile: Thanks for the kind words on the site and hope you continue to find the resources here useful.

Congrats on your new bed/ mattress shopping journey! Sorry to hear that your initial bed purchase isn’t quite what you were hoping for. You had added an update yesterday following this initial post, so I am combining several quotes of interest from that post here as well and renaming the topic to “Looking for Solid Wood Bed with Slatted Wood Base Recommendations”, will help consumer subscribers sharing your questions follow your research and comments.

[quote]We saw options on MFC and Dormio, but the drawers are unfortunately on castors and not integrated into the frame. We’re concerned with scratching on our hardwood floors. The options from Ikea same to be the same type of system, and likely aren’t very strong foundations.
dormio.ca/product/the-erinn/
en.memoryfoamcomfort.ca/products/upper-u…d-frame-with-drawers
[/quote]

Thanks for checking into possible wood bed choices from expert Trusted Members Dormio Organic Beds and MFC . Our trusted member program offers consumer subscribers the unique opportunity to seek advise directly from leading experts in the mattress/ bed manufacturing and retail industries.

Good to hear you are working with @Mario of MFC, sounds like you are on the path now to making some decisions. Hope you’ll keep us updated on your research and let us know what bed you decide on. Will be looking forward to hearing about your future mattress shopping too :wink:

Cheers,
Sensei

Thanks Sensei.

We actually think we’re going to go with a solid birch wood slatted made in Canada bed from MFC. It’ll be in the $1000 CAD range and will support any mattress we buy.

We started our mattress journey today, and it sure will be challenging with a 1.5 year old in tow.

I am a back and stomach sleeper. I try my side most nights, as it lets me be closer to my wife, but I often find myself turning back onto my back not long after. And then I flip between back and stomach throughout the night.

My wife is predominantly a side sleeper, which she got into while pregnant. She sometimes finds herself on her back as that was her previous predominant position, and it’s what has previously been recommended by medical professionals because of an s curve in her spine.

Me - 6’, 190lb, stomach/back
Wife - 5’3", 120lb, side/back

We visited Matelas Dauphin first. We tried several talalay latex, memory foam, hybrid (pocket coil + latex or pocket coil + memory foam) and pocket coil mattresses.

I favoured the London, which is their pocket coil support with foam comfort: Matelas London - Matelas Dauphin

We were told:

• 2" viscos gel (Gel-Flex), 3 lb, 10 ILD comfort layer
  • 4" pocket coils. 14 gauge in the middle zone, 15 gauge in the upper and lower zones
  • 4" support layer of 2 lb polyfoam at 33 ILD

I found that the 2" of foam really cradled my back, and didn’t interfere in stomach sleeping. The pocket coil transition to the firmer 4" foam base was excellent. My wife found this bed too firm for her. It didn’t provide enough pressure point relief in the comfort layer.

My concern here is the durability of the 3 lb comfort layer.

My wife favoured a medium firm Hotel Collection pocket coil: Hotel Collection Mattress | Matelas Dauphin

I couldn’t get her to provide me a copy of the spec sheet, but we were told that all foam layers were 2.5 lb polyfoam. I don’t have the thickness or gauge of the coils or the thickness of the foam, but again the coils had a softer middle zone. I suspect guages were the same as the London.

We also tried one of their semi-firm pocket coil mattresses. I believe it was the Sapphire 2 or 3. My wife found it too firm for her, but I preferred it over Hotel Collection.

I regret not having tried something firmer for myself or softer for my wife, just to get a comparison. She has wide hips and is pretty light; I think she’d benefit from something softer, while I certainly favoured something a bit firmer.

This store has a 50% off end of year sale ending tomorrow. I know one shouldn’t fall into the sense of urgency of a sale, but for a mere $50 deposit they will actually honour the sale price for a full year. We are extremely tempted to buy into the marketing scheme as the mattresses are of a great quality, and if we find something we prefer elsewhere (a) $50 isn’t much money; and (b) we need a guest bed too.

They also have a 120 day trial period with in-store credit, and they’d honour the 50% off for a change. It’s a $50 delivery fee to change out the mattress once.

Sale price, the London was $1250 and the Hotel was $1050.

Some takeaways:

• Neither of us liked the feel of Talalay latex
  • My wife favoured pocket coils with a more plush/softer conventional foam comfort layer for her side sleeping
  • I favoured pocket coils with a firmer memory foam comfort layer (“hybrid”) for my back and stomach sleeping
  • We certainly want to try some more pocket coil options, with both memory foam and polyfoam comfort layers. I think we’d also benefit from trying something firmer for her and softer for me to understand the recommended middle-firm compromise

Next up was Obasan. We spent a couple of hours here and tied a lot of different Dunlop latex mattresses. From customising left and right to fully customising 6 zones, we tried several different combinations.

I’ll continue my account later, when I have more time to write it.

I should also note that I’d like to try to get more information on the foam in the pocket coil mattresses, as well as the thicknesses of the layers, at Matelas Dauphin.

We visited Obasan as well.

They are all organic Dunlop latex.

We tried the 8", 9", and 10" options. The 8" and 9" have a 3" base, 3" middle/core, and 2" or 3" comfort layer. The bottom layer is always firm, the top is always soft, and the middle can be soft, medium, or firm and split left to right. The 8" was about $3350 all in and the 9" was $4050 all in. Obasan added a wool mattress protector and cotton velour fitted sheet complementary in place of any sort of sale price.

I forget the layer thicknesses in 10", but this option was a lot more configurable. The base layer could be split left/right, the middle had 6 zones (3 head to toe per sleeper), and the top was soft. The cost was $5300 all in.

Built in to the price was basically a 1 year comfort guarantee, where they will swap out any configurable layers (middle for the 8" or 9", or middle or bottom for 10"), free of charge to adjust to your preferences. They also sell individual layers/components ifnyou want adjust comfort in the future; for example, one side of the middle layer in the 9" is around $500+tax and one of the 6 middle blocks in the 10" is $200+tax.

Avery individual component is wrapped. The entire mattress is in a thick wool protector.

ILDs and densities are:

Soft
20-22 ILD
60-65 Density

Medium
32-35 ILD
70-75 Density

Firm
38-42 ILD
80-85 Density

We had a hard time justifying the extra $1200 for the 10" when we saw sufficient comfort and support in the 9". My wife noticed a considerable amount of extra pressure point comfort for her hips with the 9" over the 8"; the extra 1" of soft comfort layer made all the difference.

We both gravitated to the exact configurations recommended using the Obasan online calculator.

9"
Me: Soft top, Firm middle, Firm bottom
Her: Soft top, Medium middle, Firm bottom

The sales person was very open and transparent about everything and we really liked customizability especially given our different weights and sleep positions, but we have a hard justifying the $4000 price tag.

I found the support on the Obasan mattresses far superior to the Dauphin pocket coils, but not necessarily any better than the $1250 hybrid, while my wife didn’t see much difference in the PPP between the $1000 pocket coil and the $4000 latex.

I’d like to visit Matese Lapensée to try out their pocket coils. My wife, who has back issues and complains about mattresses all the time, couldn’t be bothered to shop anymore and would just as soon pull the trigger on the Dauphin Hotel Collection. But our shopping habits definitely differ!

I visited Lapensée and Dauphin today, without toddler and wife, to do some more recon and build up my confidence level on which manufacturer we will likely purchase from.

Dauphin

• Polyfoam in their pocket coil mattresses is 2.5 lb
  • Memory foam in their pocket coil mattresses is 4 lb.
  • Latex layers are Talalay ~19 ILD
  • Coils are 14 gauge (middle section) and 15 gauge (top and bottom)
  • All pocket coil layers are 8". The comfort layer ranges from 3" to 4" or so, depending on the mattress
  • All pocket coil bases are, if memory serves, 800 total, in straight rows and not offset
  • All mattresses can be manufactured as flippable for a fee in the range of $400 for the queen, depending on the mattress. The sales person argued against spending the extra money unless you plan on religiously flipping every 3 months, as most people start neglecting to after a couple of years, negating the benefit. Valid point.
  • I didn’t see or hear any red flags with their materials
  • Prices for a single sided semi-firm queen in what we tested ranged from $1150 to $1500 delivered. $1150 was a polyfoam comfort layer (different thicknesses and types of 2.5 lb of polyfoam, total 3.5"), $1300 had microcoils topped by 2 layers of different types of 2.5 lb polyfoam (total 4"), $1500 had a layer of latex surrounded by 2 different 2.5 lb layers of polyfoam (total 4"). I don’t have the exact thicknesses of each layer. Prices are all inclusive of taxes and delivery.
  • Their comfort guarantee is a $50 delivery charge to swap the mattress within 100 days

Lapensée

• Polyfoam is all 2 lb or 2.5 lb, depending on the line. They use 2.5lb in their more expensive, longer warranty mattresses.
  • Memory foam is 3 lb or 3.5 lb, again depending on the line
  • Latex is Talalay ~20 ILD
  • Pocket coils are 13-15 gauge. 13 for firm, 14 for semi, 15 for soft
  • Coil support layers are 9" coils in an 8" pocket for the first 3 price points. The higher price point has 12" coils in an 8" pocket
  • The lowest price point is 800 coils in straight lines
  • The other 3 price points are 1000 nested coils
  • Comfort layers range from about 2" to 4" depending on mattress line and whether one selects polyfoam, memory foam, or latex
  • I didn’t like their memory foam density (they used marketing speech, calling it oxygen memory foam, to try and defend the lower density), but no concerns with any of their other material
  • Prices for a semi-firm queen were $1475 for the lower end, $1900 for the next, $2500, and $3400.
  • Memory foam to replace most of the polyfoam in the comfort layer adds $170. Latex adds $280 and about half an inch.
    -They can customize the mattress coils, and split them half and half in a queen or king at no extra charge. So it’s possible to get a semi firm on the left and a firm on the right, for instance
  • Their comfort guarantee is 120 days. They will change the coil gauge to make the mattress as a whole softer or firmer at no charge.

If we were to compare apples to apples, the price of the semi firm Dauphin with a comfort layer on both sides is about $1525 for the Hotel Collection. 8" of 14-15 gauge coils, 3.5" of polyfoam comfort on either side. The Lapensée is $1475 for the Comfort Royal, 8" of 14 gauge coils, 2" of polyfoam comfort on either side.

I found them fairly comparable in comfort, with the Lapensée certainly a bit firmer. The Dauphin mattress had more stability in the mid section because of the zoned coils, but more plushness in the thicker comfort layer. The Lapensée had softer overall coils due to the lower gauge, but also a thinner polyfoam comfort layer.

What I found interesting is the difference in philosophy of the two companies. Lapensée adjusted firmness within a given mattress line by changing coil gauge, causing more or less give in the pocket coil support layer. Dauphin, on the other hand, keeps their zoned pocket coil support layer constant while adjusting the materials and thickness of the comfort layer.

Any thoughts on what might be a more acceptable approach?

I was assured at Dauphin that a $50 deposit to hold end of year prices is refundable. So it’s definitely a marketing gimmick. But I put a deposit down anyway while we decide.

We will definitely be going with a pocket coil from Dauphin or Lapensée. I didn’t notice a huge (or really any) difference in comfort going from the 800 to 1000 coils at Lapensée, so our choice will predominantly be on:

• Compromising on firmness vs getting customized coil layers
  • Which type of comfort layer we both prefer

I am leaning towards Lapensee because, while they keep their comfort layer constant, they can at least adjust the coil gauge to change the overall firmness and feel on either side. It might be the better compromise. A semi-firm coil layer on my wife’s side, a firm on my side, and latex top would run is in the order of $1800 for a flippable.

A similar at Dauphin that would have us compromise on the coil gauge, and not be flippable, would be $1500.

I also made an error in recounting my notes. My notes day Lapensée’s is actually 14" for the polyfoam version, so 3" of comfort compared to the 3.5" at Dauphin. Dauphin’s might be higher overall quality given the denser polyfoam, but does not allow any customization.

More info direct by email from Lapensée. It’s not quite as detailed or broken down as I requested, but still valuable.

So the Royal is:
Maxbreeze fabric cover (??)

• 2" of quilt, which is some combination of 2lb polyfoam and fabric; or 2" of 3lb memory foam covered by a 1" polyfoam quilt; or 2" Talalay covered by 0.5" of a latex quilt
  • 8" of 800 pocket coils lined up. 13-15 guage depending on firmness classification
  • Bottom comfort layer same as top
    Total height is 12" for poly, 14" for memory foam, 13" for latex
    Border is 2.5" of 2lb polyfoam
    Cost ~$1500 shipped. Memory foam adds ~$175. Latex adds $~280.

The Elegance is:
Maxbreeze fabric cover (??)

• 2" of quilt with 2lb polyfoam; or 2" of 3lb memory foam covered by a 1" polyfoam quilt; or 2" Talalay covered by 0.5" of a latex quilt
  • 8" of 1000 nested pocket coils. 13-15 guage depending on firmness classification
    Cost ~$1900 shipped. Memory foam adds ~$175. Latex adds $~280.

The Excellence is:
Celliant fibre fabric cover (??)

• 2" of quilt with 3lb polyfoam; or 2" of 3lb memory foam covered by 2" quilt; or 2" Talalay covered by 0.5" of a latex quilt
  • 8" of 1000 nested pocket coils nested. 13-15 guage depending on firmness classification
    Same as top
    Cost ~$2500 shipped. Memory foam adds ~$175. Latex adds $~280.

The Luxurious is:
Celliant fibre fabric cover (??)

• 1" comfort foam (not sure what this is) covered by a 2" quilt with 3lb polyfoam; or 2" of 3lb memory foam covered by 2" quilt; or 2.5" Talalay covered by 0.5" of a latex quilt

• 8" of 1000 longer and more highly compressed nested pocket coils. 13-15 guage depending on firmness classification

Total height is 14" for poly, 16" for memory foam, 14" for latex
    Cost ~$3400 shipped. Memory foam adds ~$175. Latex adds $~280.

• The materials all seem high quality, with the exception of their 3lb memory foam.

• There doesn’t seem to be much difference between the middle 2 lines (Elegance and Excellence) to justify the price gap. All they’ve done is moved from a 2 lb to a 2.5 lb polyfoam.

• I’m also not certain that increasing coil count justifies the jump from Royal to Elegance.

• As mentioned earlier, their entire philosophy seems to be around adjusting the responsiveness of the coils to adjust “firmness”. Their comfort layer stays pretty constant, with a slight bump in thickness in the highest line.

I think we’re leaning towards the Dauphin mattress now, thought I’m trying to get more information out of them.

Thanks for your very informative website and assembly of Experts. What a public service!
Also thanks for the reference to Back and Bed which was a great read. Which brings me to my problem today.
I need to replace all or part of our bed system. I would prefer to just replace one bedframe and get new mattresses. Especially since I just refinished an antique bed and attached it to the outside of the bed platform.

The problem is the bed system is made by Lattoflex and combines two 1/2-queen adjustable bases and latex mattresses. It has been a great set. They were purchased 20 years ago from an east coast retailer- no longer in business. I don’t find another source in the US and assume it would be too expensive to ship from Europe.

This is all the more frustrating since the Lattoflex company is now doing something I find interesting. They are matching people to bed systems with a vest system to highlight the backbone- seems worth a try…

Otherwise, I can’t see any solution other than replacing the entire set since one of the adjustable bed frames broke and even though the latex mattresses look like new, I assume they need to be replaced? and while my husband says he is happy with anything, I would like the new mattress to be more “zoned.” Any thoughts?

Hey EWalsh,

Welcome to the TMU forum :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your kind words on the site and its contributors, they are much appreciated. Thanks too for your question.

It’s lovely to hear that you’re still enjoying the experience with your Lattoflex system after 20 years of use, that is quite impressive :cheer: ! Agreed, the costs of buying anything abroad adds up, making it all the more worthwhile to consider local US options.

For TMU Trusted Members who may be of help with your sleep system needs, can you offer any other details regarding your sleep preferences?

Thanks,
Sensei

Thanks for verifying my conclusion.
With this website, think you have a book!

Hey,
I recently just purchased a DIY mattress from Arizona Premium Mattress.
When looking at bed frames, I thought to myself, “wait, why don’t I just make one?”. I’ve already made a few tables and things around the house, and this looks like a pretty simple project.

We found a design that we like HERE, but there’s a few changes I’d make:

• I will probably change up (or possibly eliminate) the headboard
  • I’ll be changing the height up a bit (partially on legs, and partially on the “walls”
    [li]I’m going to add an extra inner-frame piece[ul]
  • This will split it into thirds instead of just in half
  • This will provide a bit more support for the slats
  • This will allow me to use cheaper wood for the slats, as I don’t need to worry about them bowing as much[/li][/ul]
  • I plan to use bolts for part of the construction rather than just all screws

Now to the part that I have questions on…

• [li]I’m a bit worried about “squeaking”. In theory, the if things are tight enough it shouldn’t squeak, but being it’s a heavily used item that supports a lot weight, I’m worried that the low cycle fatigue will eventually loosen things to the point of squeaking.[ul]
  • What can be done to prevent this for the main supports? I’ve heard about possibly putting a thin layer of padding in each of the joints?
  • What would you recommend for padding of the slats? I assume those at-minimum should get something, right?[/li][/ul]
  • Do you have any criticisms/comments on my plans?
    [li]What is considered the “best” configuration for slats?[ul]
  • I know there’s no “right answer”, but I was just wondering if there were any more guidelines.
  • I’ve read that keeping the gap between them to between 2" and 3" is ideal.
  • I’ve seen slat width vary from 1" to like 6". I was aiming to go somewhere in the 3" range. Does this seem reasonable?
  • Most DIY designs seem to use 1x?? boards -so closer to 0.75" actual thickness - does this seem reasonable? Being many designs use this, I’d be willing to bet “yes”, but I’ve also seen a lot of shotty DIY projects out there :p[/li][/ul]

Thanks for any suggestions or assistance!