The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

my Ikea frame is very low, something to think about. I’d like something a bit higher.

the Next bed might be nice, they are not in Utah though. MY local Latex place carries Posh+Lavish.

Looking for a solid frame and nice Full size mattress with at least latex top.

Did you purchase with your queen kd platform bed the center legs for added support? I know it says it supports up to 600 lbs, but I just wonder if there would be any sagging in the center support beam with a latex mattress without support legs in the center.

Thanks!

Hello,
In your post above under the “solid platform surface such as plywood” paragraph you mentioned “a coir bed rug”. Can you please be more specific? Is this a coconut coir or some other type of coir? Because this bed is for a camper I do not have much of a choice concerning the base. It is a plywood base and I need to know what is the best way to keep any mold from forming. Should I use a special paint? I can drill holes in the 3/4 inch plywood, but don’t know how big or how far apart.

Thanks for the help!
Jeff Steinmetz

Thanks to my research on this forum, I ordered a full latex mattress from Sleep EZ. From my first call with Sleep EZ, through delivery and assembly of the mattress, I have been thoroughly impressed.

Unfortunately, I ordered a wood foundation from Luma and the experience has been the polar opposite. Luma shipped a base with a bottom section that was not built correctly and cannot be assembled. I have made multiple calls to Luma, spoken with the customer service folks over there, sent pictures of the issue and still there is no resolution in sight, after more than two weeks.

On top of the above issues, I’ve also discovered the middle support has a broken piece of wood. QC seems to be an issue. I would certainly avoid ordering a foundation from Luma. Given the customer service issues I’m experiencing, I wouldn’t order anything else, either.

I ordered the Berkeley Ergonomics wood foundation, it should arrive in 2 to 4 weeks. I like that there is only a 1 to 1.25 space between the slats, I am using the wood foundation to put a 4 inch foam mattress on.

These are looking cool.

Good job. Just ordered a kd frame but wish I could have gone the diy route.

I have read the full post post. Thanks for sharing!

I’m about to buy a latex mattress thanks to this amazing site, but I would like to continue to use my steel box frame… I have read that the slats is recommended not to be more than 3" in this long post, but what should I do when these slats are 8" apart? Would this foundation Tempur-Pedic Ultra Low Profile Foundation suffice? Do you guys have any recommendation on what I should use or should I have to buy an adjustable bed instead? Thank you

Hi Nami,

Congratulations on your new latex mattress! As you may have learned, the support of a latex mattress is super important for integrity and longevity, and will contribute to the feel as well.

There is an industry standard for supporting all latex mattresses. The rule of thumb is to have slats that are evenly spaced, that are solid and non-flexible, and that there is a center support beam and leg.
For example, if the slats are 2" wide, then the gap should not be more than 2" apart. If the gaps are 3" wide than they should be spread about 3" apart.
An 8" gap is too wide, and there is a possibility that the latex (and your body) will dip through the gap, causing improper support and damage to your mattress.

This product is not showing much information on how the slats are configured inside the cloth material, and if they are solid or flexible. I would recommend reaching out, and specifically asking if it’s compatible with latex mattresses, and if they can provide more information on the structural build. An adjustable powerbase would be sufficient, or a foundation from the retailer who makes your mattress.

Depending on your location, I am happy to make other recommendations.

Good luck!
Laura

Hi, I tried seraching but couldn’t find an answer. How do these different foundations apply to innerspring mattresses? We have what appears to be a wire grid foundation from Stearns and Foster (split queen). The grid wires seem to be approx 3 inch squares and not very flexible. I have been considering getting a KD wood foundation with less than 3 in b/t slats because I am bit paranoid about the support under our innerspring hybrid (just got Naturepedic EOS). But my husband believes the Stearns foundation is solid and that we don’t need a new foundation. Any thoughts?

1 Like

Good morning new mattress owner. That’s exciting! Remember, mattress protector, rotate, and maintence. Ok enough of the lecturing.

Foundation. Personally, I like the KD wood foundation you discussed. The semi flex foundation TM Mattress Makers Learn about Foundations Naturepedic video, how they build it Naturepedic - Notice the slatted foundation

Let’s look at it this way. Their warranty states in part

EOS® Product Limited Warranty
Who and what does this Warranty cover? This Warranty is not transferable and only covers you if you are the original purchaser and owner of the EOS (“Product”) and purchased it directly from Naturepedic or from an authorized dealer. Because we strongly believe in the quality, design and craftsmanship of our products, the EOS components when used normally for its intended purpose are warranted against defects in workmanship and material, as follows:

• A visible indentation in the mattress or topper greater than one and a half inches (1 ½”) that is not associated with an indentation or sag which results from use of an improper or unsupportive foundation or adjustable bed base. Normal wear requires that the mattress be continuously supported by a foundation or adjustable bed base with a proper bed frame sufficient to support the collective weight of the user, mattress, and foundation. Sufficient support is deemed to be a solid platform, a “bunkie board,” or a slatted base, with unyielding slats thick enough to support you and the mattress.
  • However, the slats or supports must be no more than 3” apart. If they are more spread out than that it will not provide enough support and will void your warranty. In all cases Naturepedic may decide in its sole discretion whether sufficient support was used.

You purchased a $3000+ mattress. Do you want to risk that “conversation” should an event happen down the road? For under $800 additional for a foundation or less.

Full disclosure, I am using my previous semiflex box spring on my Plank Luxe, but both BB and Yawnder (where I bought it said my semiflex was better than BB’s slatted box spring). Would I do it again. No. I just changed my Mother in Laws BR semiflex with a low profile slatted (bargain zinus) and she noticed an instant improvement on her 3 year old mattress, but it made it easier to get in an out of bed with the lower profile. If I were to do it again, despite what I was told. I am going with a box spring such as the one you saw at @DLX mattress. It is just way better built, no issues with the base foam pushing through the wider spaces of the semiflex and no sleepless nights worrying if that semiflex got bent, or has any wear and tear issues over previous use.

Could you use you old semiflex, sure. My advice, it is just not worth the risk. I forgot what happened with the mattress that was on that foundation to begin with, but poor foundations are sometimes the weak link in a bedding system. Although you could swap out any layer of your EOS as @TheCleanBedroom Katie mentioned in one of her previous as always knowledgeable responses.

Hi, punkrockrosebud, welcome to TMU. @Maverick mentioned us as an option, so I wanted to chime in, especially with Naturepedic. Since you have some preferences regarding latex, I wanted to mention that any layer of latex in the Naturepedic EOS mattress or EOS Pillowtop can be swapped out for coils to make that layer and/or the mattress latex-free, or lessen the number of latex layers. As Norm mentioned, you can swap out the layers after purchase also if something is not working.

The one issue I have with if something goes wrong, just swap theory, you dont know which layer is caused the problem, if one presents itself, and you end up swapping more than you bargained for.

Hopefully, this is some food for thought.
Good luck and congratulations on your new mattress!
Norm

1 Like

Congratulations on your Naturepedic EOS - great mattress! As Norm @Maverick said, you have quite an investment in your mattress, and the foundation is quite important both for you and for the longevity of the mattress. If you ever need to submit a warranty claim, you will have to submit photos not only of the indentations or whatever is causing the claim, but also a photo of the foundation. As the warranty mentions, there are specific types of foundations that you will need to use. The Bunkie Board mentioned by Naturepedic in the warranty is not too expensive, and could be worth it. Perhaps you may want to call Naturepedic and ask them, or the store where you got it if not direct from Naturepedic.

3 Likes

Good Morning, Norm! And thank you!! 2 nights on the EOS and so far I am loving it. May be tweaking layers within the trial period but want to get the foundation solved first. I have my doubts about the Stearns foundation. It is new, purchased in Nov 23. Given the EOS warranty info you posted, it seems like we could have issue with the warranty if we stuck with the Stearns so its pretty clear we need a wood slatted one. We have a really nice iron bed frame with the whole set up - footboard, headboard, side rails and steel frame. A 5 inch foundation is perfect with the EOS. I do have an email in to DLX about whether their foundation has a multi-piece center support structure. I couldnt see the support beam in the pics and was wondering if it was like the one on Arizona Mattresses for example. I was wondering if its a single wood beam or multiple pieces used to create a really strong center support. I’m partial to the @DLX bc of the nice upholstered fabric. I wouldnt have to buy a cover. A big fear of mine is rolling to the center of the bed and sagging in the center.

A center support is very important in queen and king sizes for a mattress like the EOS. I forgot to mention that in my post.

2 Likes