The Cloud Mattress

Hi thecountofzero,

The Spindle Abscond 100% natural in King size is $1650 (give or take a penny).

The Cloud you linked in King size is listed at $3250 so it’s about $1600 more than the Spindle which of course is still significant.

The Lincklaen is listed at $3050.

The quality/durability of the materials would be closely equivalent (they are both 100% natural Dunlop). The three layers would give you additional options to either fine tune the mattress or to re-arrange or exchange the layers vs having two. Having two 3" layers in the bottom two layers in a firmness level that is the same as a single 6" layer would make very little detectable difference if any to how the mattress “feels”. In theory two individual layers can act more independently and “in theory” could be a little softer but I doubt that most people would detect this is two bottom layers.

Post #2 here has more about individually covered layers.

[quote]3. The quilt on the demo mattresses at Spindle were made of organic cotton with rayon batting (fire retardant) with 3/4" inch of centi-pur soy based foam. The Cloud mattress zippered cover is made of a quilted fabric made from certified organic cotton fibers with plump layers of certified organic and eco-friendly wool fiber batting.

I realize comfort is a matter of perception, but which would you expect to be more comfortable, or perhaps plush, based on description? And do how do you see either affecting the overall feel?[/quote]

I don’t know. For some people a mattress that uses 8" of low quality polyfoam can be the most comfortable mattress they have ever tried so comfort and PPP is too variable and subjective to assess for someone else. The “plushness” of a mattress will depend on the specifics of each mattress and how the ILD’s of the latex compare. You can read more about the effects of wool and polyfoam quilting layers in post #12 here and the other posts it links to. How a quilting layer “feels” will depend on the specifics of the quilting, the fabric, and the layers below it.

The Cloud uses wool as a fire barrier and the Spindle uses an inherent rayon non woven fire barrier. The Spindle is 7 zoned and the Cloud doesn’t mention any zoning.

I think we’ve covered the main material differences but of course there are also many other factors that can contribute to differences in pricing between two mattresses which can include different business models (such as factory direct vs selling through a retailer or online vs bricks and mortar) as well as all the other differences between two companies that can affect price (see post #14 here).

They are sister companies in the same family.

Phoenix