The firm husband and Cushy wife

So glad I found this… I am a self professed mattress amateur.

Is there any mattress you can recommend and stores in the San Francisco area I can visit, for my back sleeping husband who loves a very firm mattress no pillowtop or memory foam and myself, the slide sleeping wife? We thought a sleep number was our only option (aghast I just found out why NOT to do this)

I am willing to spend 3-8K for a king. Our current mattress sags in the middle. It is a Chattam and Wells.

husband: starts on side, ends up on back, dislikes pillow top and memory foam, hates sagging bed in middle, loves a very firm mattress (almost hard): he weighs 200lbs
wife: sleeps on shoulder, or on stomach to the side, has low back pain and likes somewhat firm mattress and support but needs some cushion for shoulder and side sleeping, allergic to latex if it touches my body but maybe this doesnt matter for a bed. I weigh 130

Hi collinsfarrah,

The first place I would start your research (if you haven’t read it already) is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to recommend a specific mattress for someone else based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) with any certainty and your own careful testing or personal experience will tell you more than anything else (or anyone else) about which mattress is most suitable for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the San Francisco area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here. You have some very good options in the general area.

I would be very cautious before going higher than about half of your maximum budget because any meaningful “real life” benefits in terms of performance or the type and quality or durability of the materials may be questionable.

The tutorial post also includes links to some of the better online options that I’m aware of as well if you are comfortable including online options in your research and they can also act as a reference point for value as well if you are only comfortable with a local purchase.

Most latex allergies are contact allergies and so if you don’t have the type of latex allergy that requires you to carry an epipen then you would probably be fine with a latex mattress that has a mattress cover (as well as a mattress protector and your sheets) over the latex. Foamed latex is also different from the type of latex products that most people are sensitive to such as gloves, balloons, or condoms and much of the surface proteins and other chemicals that can trigger a sensitivity have been washed out in the manufacturing process. There is more about latex allergies in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thank you for the help.

But do any mattress manf. make a mattress that is custom so that 1/2 the bed is firm and 1/2 not so firm? I mean do you know any companies that can custom each side separately?

nevermind… i found my answer thx!

Hi collinsfarrah,

I know that you already found the answer for this but for the sake of others that read this then yes … there are many manufacturers that make mattresses with side to side split layering :slight_smile:

There are also some comments about accommodating weight differences in the first part of post #2 here.

Phoenix