The Friendly Foam Shop in Seattle

buttercupbetty,

I am still trying to decide on a topper for my mattress as well… tried out some softer talalay at a store and didn’t like it. (bouncy feel) I’ve narrowed it down to a 1.5" or 2" blended dunlop. The density is the question. There are 55K dunlop toppers available, mostly synthetic, but continuously poured dunlop. From what you have been advised, this must be extremely soft? 65K seems to sound reasonable, but who knows. I can’t find a store anywhere that has dunlop toppers to try. I need it too be softer and less lively than the top of my mattress, which is an N3 natural latex. I’ve been calling and asking advice from various vendors, but this hasn’t helped. Opinions vary across the board.

Does anyone have this “Invigo” topper? Bed Bath & Beyond | The Best Deals Online: Furniture, Bedding, Rugs, Kitchen Essentials & Moree (The cover looks nice.)
Does Invigo have good quality latex? I will call this company to try to find out the density.

If anyone has any advice about dunlop toppers, densities and ILD’s, for lighter weight individuals, it would be much appreciated.
I am also considering a 1.5" - 2" Puralux topper in a 55K, 18 ILD.

Meanwhile, my too firm mattress is breaking in, and I’m getting used to it. I would just like a little bit more cushioning at the top, under my wool fleece (which I really like).

Diane

Hi Diane,

I haven’t done any research on blended dunlop, since this isn’t something we are considering (personal choice). I do know that there are MANY options~sometimes an overwhelming amount of options!

My new strategy is to stick with something that I can try in person, OR buy something returnable/exchangeable. For that reason, I am considering SleepEZ. They have a “special” on toppers with covers. Dunlop, Talalay or blended latex. Have you checked them out lately?

Good luck!
BB

P.S. Hey Phoenix, should we start a new thread for this? We’ve kind of gotten off topic :slight_smile:

Update: I visited this store a couple of days ago. Staff seemed knowledgeable. They told me that their latex is from Sri Lanka, and that their distributor is Canadian.

They have in their “showroom”, SOFT, MED & FIRM cores and toppers to try. Each was individually covered so that we could “play” with different combinations. These are labeled 75D, 85D & 95D (respectively). They discourage going softer or firmer, but they do have the ability to order these other densities.

My impression: 75D felt really soft. When 2" topper was placed on 85D 6" core, I could really sink in. They said this was their most popular for side sleepers. I liked it!

I believe that all items are custom ordered, and that they don’t keep anything in stock (which might mean a second trip to pick-up a week later, for those traveling from out of town.)

Their prices are higher than many online retailers. And they do offer the added value of being able to “try before you buy.” I forgot to ask about their return policy. Ooops!

@Diane37:

I forgot to mention that my FAVORITE topper (so far) is 2" of soft latex wrapped in wool. The one I tried was at Soaring Heart Natural Mattress in Seattle. Very comfortable and supportive. Also the most expensive topper across the board, based on my research. (the one I tried was all organic)

@buttercupbetty

It sounds like you’re making great progress! I’m interested to see what you come up with :slight_smile:

@ Diane37,

All the latex you are likely to encounter is a good quality material but Invigo is a brand name for DeCourcy. You can see some comments about them and the owner Mark DeCourcy (EDIT: who has now passed away) in post #2 here and in post #4 here. They will give you accurate information about their latex. Comparing the density of blended Dunlop with the density of 100% natural Dunlop wouldn’t be a particularly accurate way of comparing the firmness of the two materials (synthetic rubber is not as dense as natural rubber).

@ buttercupbetty,

I’ll leave that up to you since you are the OP of the thread. I’m not always too strict with this … especially if the OP is involved in the “off topic” conversations but if you want a new thread then I can always split it into a new thread from one post onwards (or even split off individual posts).

Just for clarity … which store did you mean here?

FWIW and for the sake of others that read this (because I think you already know) … SleepEz has a topper like this here.

Phoenix

I was referring to The Friendly Foam Shop in Seattle. They also have stores in Bellevue & Everett, WA.

Hi buttercupbetty,

If their supplier is in Sri Lanka then they would probably be either Latex Green, or Arpico, or Eco Latex.

Phoenix

@buttercupbetty

I’ve actually also been to the Friendly Foam Shop. I can offer a qualitative assessment of their latex in comparison to the 100% natural dunlop toppers from sleeponlatex. I believe sleeponlatex’s distributor is Latexco and that the 100% natural dunlop toppers from sleeponlatex are from Latexgreen. I ordered a 6" 34 ILD from sleeponlatex, which density should be equivalent to 85 kg/m^3. I’d say that the topper I received from sleeponlatex was definitely more firm than the one from Friendly Foam Shop. I’d say it felt closer to the 95 kg/m^3 they offered there, although that’s just a rough feeling. So, I’m not entirely sure the friendly foam shop uses latexgreen 100% natural mattresses. The friendly foam shop also unfortunately wouldn’t give ILD’s for their densities, but I imagine those are a bit softer than the ones from latex green for the same density.

Hi GiantCrab,

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

Just to confirm your post … Latexco’s 100% natural Dunlop are from Latex Green but they test the ILD themselves and there are many places that order Latex Green from different suppliers that “rate” their Latex Green cores differently.

With different Dunlop suppliers that both sell 100% natural Dunlop (with no SBR) then the density would be the closest approximation to compare firmness levels if they both don’t have accurate ILD ratings (many Dunlop manufacturers don’t rate their cores for ILD).

Phoenix

Thank you GiantCrab & Phoenix for the additional explanation!

We ended up ordering from SleepEZ. Their SOFT is 20-22ILD. I didn’t ask about the density because I trust Shawn’s judgement. He doesn’t recommend their EXTRA SOFT (it is available only by special order).

buttercupbetty,

Is the soft 20 -22ILD layer you bought dunlop or talalay? I assume it is 3". I am still trying to decide on a topper…I’m a little afraid of dunlop because I think it gave me a headache each time I tested it out in a store. It had a strong rubber smell to me. My mattress is natural talalay and the smell does not affect me, so I should stick with it for my comfort layer. I think I only want 1" though to put between my mattress and a wool fleece topper. Hard too find and very expensive… I’ve only seen 1" blended talalay from SLAB, and it’s over $400 with a cover. May have to splurge. I am thinking of 19-22 ILD also.

Does anyone know of another vender who sells 1" blended talalay?

Thanks,
Diane

Hi Diane37,

The only ones I know of besides SLAB is http://www.kttenterprises.com/

Phoenix

Hi Diane!

I bought 100% natural dunlop from SleepEZ. You’re right, it’s a 3" topper. We chose dunlop because I had a reaction from the natural Talalay samples sent by Flobeds. When I called afterwards, they assured me that the samples were 100% natural. I’m not sure what component triggered my reaction, but I have heard that the Talalay process required the addition of more chemicals (ammonia?). And, to be fair, I cuddled up with the samples against my bare skin (and face). I really wanted to know before we made a purchase. It’s possible that I could have ordered Talalay and been fine with it inside of a cover. Just being cautious here :slight_smile:

Re: your question about 1" blended Talalay toppers. I believe that some sellers will do these as a “custom” order. I’m pretty sure that SleepEZ will cut latex to 1". (And they’re having a special right now that includes the cover, if you need one.) Here are a few links that MIGHT offer you want you’re looking for:

https://sleeponlatex.com/collections/latex-mattress-toppers?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=text+ads&gclid=CO7J9IXS5LoCFUZxQgodZWwA5A

Re: wool fleece topper. Someone gave me an older one and I LOVE it. I had no idea that I would find it so cozy. So now I’m considering one for our king size bed. (After we get all the other components of our “sleep system” in place). Can you recommend a brand or seller?

Thanks! Have a great day!

Hey Diane,

I just called Shawn at SleepEZ. He was unloading a semi-truck and couldn’t give me pricing, but he said that he WOULD sell you a 1" blended Talalay topper. He will be back in the office after 10AM (MST) and he said to have you give him a call if you’re interested: 888-707-7533.

Plus, I think that since we’re “friends”, he might even give you an additional 10% off. *I don’t know the return policy on custom orders. I think that they do allow returns on many of the toppers, but you might want to ask specifically if this is important to you.

Thanks buttercupbetty,

I am so paralyzed from the thought of having to shrink, pack, and pay for shipping, another piece of latex, that I can’t pull the trigger on a topper! I think I also had a slight reaction to my talalay latex mattress, but I didn’t feel it after a week or so. When I tried out the natural dunlop at 2 stores, boy I had wicked headaches. Could have been the stress of the whole mattress ordeal, but to me, the dunlop had a very strong unpleasant rubber smell. Even my hands reeked after touching it. Does it dissipate after some time? Later I heard that dunlop does have a stronger smell. There are many more options for a dunlop topper, but I have fear that I will have a reaction.

Because of this and not having stores nearby to test toppers, I change my mind daily… so I’m not ready to purchase yet. I almost think that I can use some 3Lb polyfoam and it might be more comfortable than latex, although it will not be as durable.

I have this wool fleece topper: Amazon.com

(They also make one backed with cotton)

It is thick and comfortable. It does have a rather thick, stiff polyester fabric at the bottom. It is washable because of the polyester. I washed it thinking that this fabric would soften a little, but it didn’t. The wool does mat down somewhat after it’s washed, but it is still very comfortable and can be fluffed with you hands. I couldn’t sleep on my too firm mattress without it. Because it is thick, I was thinking that I might only need an extra inch of 22ILD blended talalay under the fleece for pressure relief. Who knows… but I love sleeping directly on wool fleece. Get the best, thickest that you can afford. I bought new cotton jersey sheets (soft and stretchy) from The Company Store and love how they feel on top of my wool fleece.

I will call Sleepez about the 1" blended talalay. (Return policy is important to me.) Thanks for the heads up.

P.S. Some wool fleece smells like sheep, so read reviews. My Snugfleece does not.

Diane

@Diane37:

Yes, it can be stressful trying to “fine tune” our sleep systems!

Our dunlop has a slight scent, but I can’t notice it when covered with a pad and a sheet. Another factor swaying my choice of a thick cover (encasement/ticking) with quilted wool. I left the Talalay samples in my car for awhile & it even bothered me to drive! Seems weird. Back when I first started exploring latex options, I contacted some of the exclusively organic retailers. I found out that many of them do not offer Talalay. Period. I guess it’s partly because there’s no organic certification for Talalay, right? But they also told me that there were more additives in it than dunlop.

Thank you for the recommendation of the SnugFleece. We already have a 1.5" wool topper from St Peter’s Woolen Mill~which is wonderful! And we’ll have about 3/4" of wool in our mattress encasement. My husband was wanting to sleep as close to the latex as possible…but I persuaded him that I needed the benefits of wool. B) I guess I’m not sure whether or not he’ll agree with me on the fleece! He seems to prefer a smooth surface. I guess opposites attract :cheer: .

But if we do end up buying a wool fleece, I will take your advice and go for thick! How often do you need to wash it? I bet it’s a personal preference issue? Since it’s always covered by a sheet, right?

I’m also looking for stretchy jersey sheets! Can you send me the link to yours? They have some on sale that are sold out in our size (Company Store). But I found another style, too. Only one review and here’s what it says:

“I’ve been a customer for 20+ years, and always love the products I buy here. This was the first problem I ever had. The manufacturer’s instructions on the sheets said to wash before using in warm water, on delicate, and put in dryer on low. When I did this, the pillowcases shrunk so badly that they don’t even cover the pillow anymore. The fitted sheet now fits only about 2 inches down from the top of my mattress, and so they spring off when sleeping. I called and am returning them today. I’d love to have jersey knit sheets, but if they’re from the same manufacturer, I’d have to decline.”

I’m also considering Lands End and Coyuchi. Both are quite a bit more $$$.

Thanks for your recommendations! And good luck finding the perfect topper!

Hi buttercupbetty - I bought a set of jersey sheets from The Company Store about a month ago. Washed before using, and they’re great - they have only 3 reviews. I got them in the Sesame color, and really like the color and the feel - they’re nice and
stretchy and would fit a mattress way larger than my 9" one.

http://www.thecompanystore.com/solid-jersey-sheets/e4y7-ps-a13.html?start=3&cgid=sheets-jersey-knits

Sesame is nice! And they’re sold out in my size.

Anyone try Coyuchi? Or Lands End?

Okay, maybe I will reconsider dunlop. I would like a soft dunlop which would mean a synthetic blend. I’ve heard that the synthetic blend dunlop may smell a little less than natural dunlop. The 15-18 ILD, 55K density dunlop- does anyone use this for a topper/comfort layer? It is mostly synthetic I believe. I can’t find a topper like this to try, 1 or 2"… can anyone describe the feel of it?

I bought the same Company Store sheets that Clawdia has. I think they are really nice…have them in queen size, the fitted sheets are fairly deep. They fit my mattress at 10" plus a 1 1/2" wool fleece and I think i can add a 2" topper and they will still fit. The standard cases are a little small but fit a regular, not overly stuffed pillow. Could go with queen size cases. I sure like the stretch.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to wash a wool fleece often…only when necessary. I air it out in the sun at times.

Diane