The I-Mattress?

Found this site while investigating mattress brands. Currently have Full from SlumberBarn as we call it here… its a plush EuroPillow top. I have have been waking up more and more with lower back discomfort…not exactly dull aching pain, but definitely discomfort in my back that can turn into something later in the day.

Me and my GF share this bed and have for a year, but it is just not working for me. I need a change. I am not sleeping comfortably- i toss and turn all night (day… i work nights)

My first adventure at a different store was with a guy that tried to sell me a tempurpedic bed. I didn’t care too much for the “spongy” feel. Too soft on one the next too unforgiving and hard. I found maybe one i liked but the price… oh the price. I got brought into the hybrids particularly the I Mattress XS 11.

I like it, the price is 1150 for a set (frame, box spring, etc). The price is okay too.

I spent my day at slumberbarn trying out 20 or so different beds from foam to spring. I didn’t like them. Foam was best, but not at 3500. They had a hybrid i like for 1400 which was okay, probably the best out of that store for me. But nothing compared to the I mattress.

I like it but now i am afraid having learned too much from a previous thread and now fear that if i buy it I will end up with a peice of crap despite a “full 15yr warranty” which i already read about here.

So what do i do? Anyone have any suggestions for a similar bed, more quality and not stupidly expensive?

I don’t feel like investing thousands into something at this point in my life when i know i will buy again later aka i will want a king size in the future and will spend the premium then. But will this bed last 7-10 years? Do you go with lower quality anyway to start?

What to do? Replies appreciated.

Hi RehabRN,

The first place I would start your mattress research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you with how to compare mattresses ad make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Outside of the importance of careful and objective testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post to assess how well a mattress matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it. I would never buy any mattress if you aren’t able to find out the type and quality of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with this article) so that you can make sure there are no weak links in the mattress and make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses. Without this information you would be making a completely blind purchase which is very risky and is one of the most common cause of buyers remorse much too quickly after you buy a mattress.

Depending on which sites you look at … the iMattress 11 has between 3.5" to 4.5" of various layers of memory foam and polyfoam in the mattress along with an inch of latex of some type (which isn’t enough to be particularly meaningful) on top of a pocket coil. While the pocket coil would be fine because the support layers of mattress aren’t usually the weakest link in the mattress … the foam layers are easily thick enough to be a significant weak link in terms of durability if the materials are lower quality/density than the guidelines here so I would make sure you know the type and quality of every layer before you decide to buy any mattress.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

My zip is 58504. Yea i doubt this guy knows to be honest. They are selling out to replace with newer models which according to them are only different by a new top sheet/comforter as nothing else has changed so the sales guy from the company said. I don’t know who to believe anymore.

It would be a blind buy. I’ve done it before with success and well not success. The price point works, not that i couldn’t pay more i would just rather not knowing the future it would change. I just don’t know how long.

Even if i knew the material, i don’t know what that is going to do for me. I would probably have to shop elsewhere which limits me as i do not have a way to haul a bed. I need it delivered which can be a premium too.

Would i look for is something of that same feel in a better quality. But no one has any reviews on this thing.

Hi RehabRN,

Even honest manufacturers may have little knowledge about what is inside the mattresses they sell. The stores that focus more on the materials in a mattress than they do on the brand name of the mattresses they sell are the ones that I would generally prefer to deal with.

The better options or at least “possibilities” (because they will all need more research) I’m aware of in your area are listed in post #2 here.

It will tell you more than anything else about how long a mattress is likely to last compared to other mattresses (see the guidelines here).

Even if there are reviews for a specific mattress they wouldn’t tell you anything about how a mattress would feel for you or whether it would be a suitable choice for you in terms of PPP (see post #13 here). A mattress that works perfectly for someone else or even a group of people may still be completely unsuitable for you to sleep on.

Phoenix

Well, I have when able reviewed through some of the links you have posted and have also viewed the top 16 to avoid or to consider. I have called restava sales to discuss with them their mattresses and how they compare to what i have laid on in different stores. They haven’t called me back. I guess i didn’t ask if they ship out of state…

I have tried and like the feel of a firm, but soft memory foam/gel mattress. I liked the iComfort one (middle of the road firm option) and the Encourage and the Genie from Aero kind from Sealy? Yes, now to find a company that has the right price with better materials and compares to how these feel.

I probably will keep visiting these stores because i just now more than ever want to be sure its what i want. Suggestions are nice…

Hi RehabRN,

Their free shipping is to the 48 contiguous states.

For the moment though I would hold off if you are considering a Restava purchase until some of the questions that were brought up in this topic (post #20 and onwards) about the changes in their mattress have been clarified.

The tutorial post also includes a link to this post which includes some of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of. Many of them sell mattresses that are designed to approximate some of the major brand memory foam mattresses (mostly Tempurpedic) so that you can have some sense of their firmness level before your purchase.

Phoenix