The Industry's Monopoly on Sleep!

As a new member, and soon-to-be mattress consumer, I am excited to have this forum and ‘underground’ website to help me along the way. Purchasing a mattress is something which is only done every decade or 2 (it’s been 17 years for us!) so it’s a new experience every time, and always challenging to know what is best for you and your body.
I’ve wondered for a long time why you never see the same brand and model of mattress at different retailers so you can comparison shop! :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi scrambler,

Unfortunately … the “mainstream” industry is very different from what it was 17 years ago (you can see a few comments about this here and here) and mattresses that last this long are certainly not the norm where most people end up buying their mattress.

There are still great choices available though if you focus on the smaller manufacturers and retailers that are more concerned about their long term reputation and the quality and value of their mattresses than on marketing stories and the built in obsolescence that is so common in the mainstream today.

I’m glad you found us and I’m looking forward to hearing about your “mattress shopping journey”.

Phoenix

Thanks for the response.
I live in Alberta and will be starting the process of mattress education tomorrow checking out the 2 Calgary stores on your members list.
Any thoughts/ forum topics on pressure imaging and customizing each sleeping partner’s side?

Hi scrambler,

I would use “pressure imaging” or “pressure mapping” as an aide but not as a primary method of making a purchase decision. I would trust your body and careful and objective testing more than what the pressure mapping says. It also only measures the pressure on the mattress/skin interface and says nothing about the effect of pressure or stresses on the inner tissues of the body (which can be very different from the surface pressure) or about your alignment on the mattress.

In many cases in larger chain stores and with proprietary pressure mapping systems it is used more as a selling tool to “point to” only a certain line or brand of mattresses that are the only ones with information that has been programmed into the pressure mapping system (see post #2 here). If it can be used to choose between a broader range of mattresses or used to help build a custom mattress then it is more useful and could certainly be helpful but I wouldn’t use it to replace careful and objective testing for PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) or good judgement.

You can see some thoughts about some of the options that can help when a couple with very different needs or preferences in the first part of post #2 here. A side by side split is one of these and can be a very useful and valuable option when it is needed and available.

Phoenix