The Mattress Expert.com

Hi Phoenix,
Have you ever had experience with the Mattress Expert who advertises mattesses for folks that require heavy duty sleep systems for folks who are heavy? due to their weight. He sells “Medicoil Therapeutic” brand mattresses that have a coil gauge of 12 or 13 with superior comfort layers, unlike what is typically sold in the market. His website appears friendly and his message seem honest. My husband and I have gone through more than 7 mattresses in the psat 6 years, spent thousands of dollars and feel that nothing of quality is sold anymore. There appears to be a total lack of integrity within the industry and top dollar is spent on advertising, sucking people into retail bedding stores or getting caught up in the Internet hype vortex resulting with purchasing a sleep system of awful quality that looses it’s resiliance, develops lack of support and significant sag within 3 months. We’ve tried Saatva in the past and as your other members endorsed, were disappointed by the lack of quality and immediate sag and loose material that was observed as early as when it was removed from the cardboard packaging. The mattress was so light in weight that 2 frail older people could have easily picked it up and slid it outside of the house for the trash. Ed Brians (VP and damage control guy) made a deal with me to post a favorable review and my money would be returned. He originally offered me a $200.00 refund and I could keep the mattress that cost over $ 1,000.00. I preferred to sent back the unit and recieve full credit. At least he honored it since I could have gotten really burned. The people who picked it up told up that they take these mattresses back very frequently. Anyhow, any information that you could provide about the “Matterss Expert” and the product integrity based of data/specification for heavier people with lower back pain due to chronic and severe muscle spasm would be helpful. I don’t know what is fact vs fiction anymore and am too busy making a living to surgically pull apart and scrutinize this industry. We just want to sleep well on a comfortable bed and don’t want to be lied to.
Thank you,
V. Lynn

Hi mantis,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the tutorial post here has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible mattress choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones. It also has the information you need to be able to evaluate any mattress you are considering and make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

You can see some comments about The Mattress Expert in post #11 here and post #2 here and a forum search on themattressexpert (you can just click this) will bring up more information and feedback about them as well.

The most important part of any mattress purchase is making sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). If you are buying a mattress locally then careful and objective testing is the best way to know whether a mattress is a good match for you. If you are making an online purchase that you can’t test in person then more detailed conversations with a manufacturer or retailer and the information you provide them (along with the results of any local testing you have done) can help them to help you make the best possible choice based on the “averages” of other people that may be similar to you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). With an online purchase … making sure you know the specifics and costs involved for a return or exchange policy may also be an important part of your personal value equation in case the mattress you choose doesn’t work out as well as you hoped when you sleep on it in “real life”.

Outside of how well a mattress matches your specific needs and preferences … the most important part of a mattress purchase is making sure you know the quality of all the materials inside it (see this article). Without this information there is no way to determine if the mattress has any weak links or make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses and you would be making a “blind” purchase.

A two sided mattress would be more durable than the same mattress that only has comfort layers on one side of the mattress. There is more about the pros and cons of a two sided mattress in post #3 here. While they are not generally available in the mainstream market … they are still commonly made by many of the smaller manufacturers across the country.

There is also more about choosing a mattress for those who are in higher weight ranges in post #3 here and the posts it links to.

This is certainly true in the mainstream industry and most of the major manufacturers but the good news is that there are many smaller manufacturers and better sleep shops around the country that will educate and inform their customers more than try to sell them anything they can convince them to buy and make higher quality and better value mattresses that are sold at fair prices every day of the year (see post #12 here).

If you follow the steps in the tutorial post one at a time you will have the highest possible odds of finding your “perfect” mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thank you for your reply. I have read many of the posts especially the one’s that you re-emphasized here but was looking more in the direction of your opinion or take on the mattress experts endorsement that what he provides are
mattresses that are specifically geared for people who are of elevated body mass index. I was hoping for your opinion by way of coil gauge and your take on his claim/validity. I’m still open to your response prior to considering a purchase.
Thank you

Hi mantis,

The innerspring or support system isn’t normally the weak link of a mattress in terms of durability and the materials above the innersprings are the most important part of assessing the relative durability and useful life of a mattress. There are also many specs that determine the strength or suitability of an innerspring besides just the coil gauge or the number of coils. There is more about innersprings in this article and in post #10 here.

Outside of how suitable a mattress is for you in terms of PPP … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it … no matter who sells it or the name on the label.

There is more about the specs I would look for in post #4 here and in the links about higher weight ranges I included in my last reply

If they provide you with the information you need to make an informed choice about any mattress and you can post it on the forum … I’d certainly be happy to share my thoughts about it or help you identify any potential weak links in its design.

Without this information … there is really no way for anyone to make any meaningful comments about any mattress.

I would only consider a mattress if you know the type and quality of all the materials and components inside it and have enough information to make an informed choice.

Phoenix