The Nest Bedding Hybrid Latex...

Hello Bluski,

Thank you for revisiting our Mattress Forum. You asked " Are you aware that Nest Bedding has changed the design of the latex hybrid 3 months ago". Yes, we are well aware of the product line changes made by our trusted member, Nest Bedding. As detailed earlier in this thread (see grey01’s post on 9/7/18), Nest Bedding revised its product line into Natural and Organic categories of both its Hybrid and All Latex models. We do not see this as a cost cutting measure but more of a targeted marketing product line strategy. Nest Bedding’s product specifications are very transparent on its website. We are certain that if you discuss the changes with a Nest Bedding representative, you will learn even more about the reasons for the product line changes and the differences between the natural and organic models.

TMU Admin

Thanks for getting back to me. I asked the local salesman at the showroom the same question…he had me call a manager at another store since he was a bit new to the company. The manager told me he thinks it is a price point issue and I guess its to differentiate between the “Natural” bed and the organic one that is $600 more. He kind of agreed with me that is was in fact a cost cutting move. Now if I spoke to corporate headquarters I very well might have got another answer. Both stores are selling many more of the natural latex hybrids than the more expensive organic. I liked the feel of the new natural nest bed…but it seems counter to being natural to use a synthetic foam over the natural latex. I don’t like the idea that wool has been taken out of equation to a cool sleeping mattress. Perhaps this design makes sense since some people find latex too firm? There is no mention of why this new configuration is an upgrade from the previous mattress.
If I seem perplexed it is because I am.

Hello bluski,
The are oftentimes many reasons for a mattress company, or any consumer product company for that matter, to make product line changes. The primary drivers are increasing raw material costs, a need to “refresh” the line-up to remain competitive and/or feedback from customers. It is rare a company “explains” why the changes are made and even more rare that they compare the new product to the former product as there are many customers who purchased the former product, including those who just recently purchased it. This applies not just to mattresses, but to all consumer products. While claims of “New and Improved” are part of the marketing of a new version of a product, rarely is the improved explained unless the new product has new features or new benefits.
In its new product line configuration, Nest is differentiating natural vs. organic. The price difference communicates that the organic components are both more expensive and seen as a greater value. If Nest is selling more of the natural latex hybrids as you state, then price point would appear to be a more significant value consideration than the implied benefits of organic.
Nest is using “eco flex” material in the quilting layer of its natural hybrid. Nest is treating this material as proprietary and not communicating its detailed specifications or material content, most likely for competitive reasons. You state that you like the feel of the new natural latex hybrid. It is supported by Nest’s in-home trial, return/refund and warranty policies. It appears your apprehension lies in having a few very detailed questions re. why changes were made and what makes up the eco-flex material. Expecting a mattress company, even one that is a trusted member of this site, to be fully transparent to each customer’s satisfaction is not a realistic expectation. You may likely need to decide if you are willing to purchase a good feeling product from a reputable company where every question you have is not answered to your satisfaction.

TMU Admin

Hello Bluski,

I just wanted to brief reply and thank you sincerely for considering Nest Bedding. As our friends at The Mattress Underground have noted, there are a lot of reasons why a mattress is updated or revised, but the primary motivation for us with this mattress is price-point. We love latex and all that it brings to our Nest Bedding family members, and we really are wanting to have a mainstream product that feels great, is responsible with the materials that are being used, and is affordable to as many people as possible (with the same great quality standards, guarantees, and after-sales support).

I would love to answer any additional questions that you may have about the materials used in this product and our motivations for any changes that were made. Please do not hesitate to write to me directly at [email protected].

Sincerely,

Todd Leslie
Director of Customer Experience.
Nest Bedding

Hi bluski,

You may also want to check out this thread here (particularly Posts #30 & #31 from the CEO of Nest Bedding): https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/avocado-mattress

It looks like the decision to redesign their Hybrid Latex mattress had to do with comfort & pressure relief as well, not merely cost savings. We had the former Talalay version of their Hybrid Latex mattress, and couldn’t get the comfort right as lightweight combo (side/back) sleepers. To their credit, Nest Bedding was very accommodating in trying to dial in the comfort level that we were looking, and even refunded us back for the mattresses when we couldn’t get situated with them.

We’ve since tried the newer Natural Hybrid Latex (my brother got that mattress), and think that Nest Bedding has resolved the comfort & pressure relief issues that we had experienced with their former Talalay Hybrid Latex. As the CEO of Nest Bedding notes in the thread referenced above, wool on latex can be a bit too firm/stiff for some people, which was our case. The new Eco-Flex foam certainly alleviates that, and provides a perfect balance between pressure relief (for side sleeping) & enough support (for back sleeping). We’ve tried over 10 mattresses personally, and investigated at least 20+ mattresses, and it’s the best mattress we’ve encountered. It feels like a traditional mattresses that we grew up - yet better.

As for the chemical concerns, there doesn’t appear to be any off-gassing with this product. My partner is sensitive to strong odors, and she couldn’t detect any. Also, it’s worth noting that most Talalay latex out there isn’t “natural” - but a blend of 30% natural latex rubber and 70% synthetic material. You’re likely going to run into some form of chemicals one way or another - or find firmer products that only use Dunlop (like we did with the Avocado mattress - which was waaaaaaay to stiff for us).

Plus, Nest Bedding’s warranty and lifetime comfort guarantee are tough to beat. One thing to mention about the Natural Hybrid Latex mattress from Nest Bedding - we did notice that it sleeps a little warm. Not excessively so (we didn’t wake up sweating or anything), but it was just slightly warm enough. Our sense is that a cooling/phase-changing mattress pad or cover should alleviate that. Not a huge concern, but something perhaps to consider.

So, honestly, having surveyed just about all that’s currently out there right now, we think the Nest Bedding Natural Hybrid Latex is one of the best options available at the moment. If we had a mattress review site, it would be our pick for “Mattress of the Year” - we think it’s that good. They really dialed it in with this one. And if you don’t like it, there’s always the Organic version, too.

Hope that helps, and definitely don’t hesitate to follow up with Nest Bedding’s customer service team. They’re super helpful. Good luck with your search, too!