The Pillow: Just How Important is it?

Actually, the one I have, kind of fluff’s up by itself. But the pillow is a fairly lofty and dense. So it compresses and fluff’s back up. My horsehair pillow does the same thing.

I really have not had to beat the heck out of either the wool or the horsehair to keep either of them fluffy.

Actually it was my wool pillow, using it under my hip to shoulder on bad back days, that prompted me to get my 3" wool topper, which is awesome too.

They are just great!

1 Like

Norm,

Those wouldn’t happen to be Wigwam Super 60s by any chance? I wore them with my Superstars in 8th grade and beyond. Even though I was a Clyde fan (still have a signed and mounted photo of him from a 3rd grade prize), I never got into Pumas.

1 Like

These are the standard all wool, natural wool color, ones that come about 4 or 5 inches above the ankle. We would wear them over tube socks when playing basketball in junior high and high schools. It was the “look” in the mid 70’s.

The one that looks like this one.

Thanks for the recommendation for Bedgear. I tried one when we were mattress test. It seemed kind of hard. I have a Sleep on Latex pillow right now that works pretty well.

1 Like

Pillows. Such a daunting task it is to find a suitable pillow. I was hoping to gift pillows to our grandkids that match the ones they like in our guest room, but alas, the new versions are now made in China and consist of more polyester than cotton or latex. Even though the encasement is embossed with the description, Organic Cotton, it’s 67% polyester. The promotion outlets (masked as reviewers) tell their viewers it’s wrapped in organic cotton.

@Cheri, we’ve spent 16 nights sleep testing the Bedgear Aspen 3.0 & Gamma 2.0 pillows. Our sleep begins with comfort and support and lasts for 3 hours before we awaken to reposition and reset the fill inside the pillow. I requested a Return Authorization.

Next up. A wool filled contour pillow by White Lotus Home.

1 Like

I wish horse hair pillows weren’t so expensive and hard to find. Norm (Maverick) loves his. I guess we could go groom some horses and make our own.

1 Like

Cheri, replying back to your post about the compartmented pillow. Here are some examples where the pillow is stitched in a way that keeps the filling under the neck. One is wool, the other is latex. Good luck! I love my wool pillow (mine is just wool, not a contour pillow) and find it supports my head and neck quite well, even after 3.5 years.

1 Like

Thanks for your recommendations. I’ll check them out, but for now I’m ok with my latex pillow.

1 Like

Considering doing a DIY pillow with a combination of shredded latex and wool bolus - any advice on how much I might need for two king pillows of medium loft?

I would say about 2.5 - 3lbs per pillow.

Are you planning to mix the fill or wrap latex with the wool, or do it with 2 pillow liner chambers? With 2 pillow chambers, one side can be latex, one side wool, like my horsehair and foam two chamber pillow i created.

@BedRuffles
I have a combination pillow that mimics the Saavy Rest pillow. It’s 75% wool bolas, 25% latex noodles (Talalay).
According to DIY Natural Bedding, a king pillow filled with wool bolas will require 4 pounds of filling. Mixing at the 75/25 ratio, that’s 3 pounds of wool and 1 pound of latex.

IME, the more you fluff it, the longer it will provide lasting comfort. Wool compresses over time. Any honest, reputable wool pillow maker will verify that.

2 Likes

I agree with @PapaMike, although the choice ultimately hinges on the desired feel for your pillow. Are you aiming to replicate a specific pillow’s sensation, perhaps one with a slight bounce or a firm yet soft support?

Personally, I’m not keen on blending both fibers and then stuffing the pillow, despite it being a method some opt for. Adjusting it later if it’s uncomfortable can be quite messy if you dont like the feel and want to separate the fiber mix.

As I previously mentioned, I opted for lightweight 100% cotton zippered “liners/cases” and filled each with the material of my preference. There are various approaches you can take.

One option is to create three chambers: two outer chambers with the same material and an inner one comprising the core.

Another option is to create a two chamber pillow with a different feel on each side.

Some pillows utilize wool batting for the outer layer and latex for the inner core.

Alternatively, you could use wool bolas for the outer chambers and latex for the center, or reverse the materials.

You can always mix the two fibers together for more uniform comfort feel.

In the case of my horsehair pillow, I have two chambers. Flipping the pillow allows me to switch between the latex/memory foam side for a softer feel with the firm support of the horsehair beneath, or for a firmer sensation with a slight springiness.
I am planning to create on with horsehair as the core and the outer portion with a wool batting or bolas, just have not decided yet.

There are numerous combinations to explore, each resulting in varying feels that will require varying weights. If you intend to simply blend the two fibers, the weights suggested by @PapaMike should suffice. I’d recommend making some extra stuffing, just in case adjustments are needed for your comfort preferences.

2 Likes

Here is a helpful explanation of how to position your head on a pillow for optimal neck support and alignment.

By dividing the pillow into three sections - head, middle, and foot - and aiming to rest your head in the middle or between the top and middle sections, you can ensure that your neck is properly supported.

Placing your head at the “foot” of the pillow can lead to strain on the neck and upper back due to lack of support and improper alignment.

By positioning your head in the center, the pillow contours to support your neck while maintaining support throughout the upper and lower thirds. It’s a simple yet effective technique for improving sleep posture and overall comfort.

2 Likes