The Serta iComfort mattress ... what's the buzz

Hi Jayman,

I personally would be more than a little wary with all of them. Rule #1 for me is that the brand doesn’t matter as much as the layer by layer specs of a mattress and I took a quick look and didn’t see the specs for any of them. If you have a link for them I’d be happy to take a look in more detail but without that there is little for me to evaluate. I also don’t know what they’re charging so there is no way to determine value. I also avoid ALL major brands as none of them have the value of local manufacturers. This may seem like an overbroad statement but I have yet to see a meaningful exception. Spring Air is still in the top 15 and “making a comeback” after their bankruptcy and I would call them a major brand with major brand pricing and materials and issues.

Some general comments on your three choices though …

The Spring Air Four Seasons (Windsong) I would probably tend to avoid because with only 2" of latex … its clear to me that there is way too much polyfoam in the upper layers of the mattress. Granted even the lowest quality materials can feel comfortable but the price should reflect this and with a major brand … the spec sheet becomes even more important.

If the “old” Novopure is all latex … then it would certainly be a much bigger preference for me but the price and how it was constructed would dictate whether it had value IMO. I just cant get past the fact that they are charging as much as they are for the same materials that are available in Vancouver for so much less. Having said that … I would tend to go in this direction in terms of quality of materials (of both the old and new models) if that is the sole basis for your decision since they are using good quality materials at least.

Chattham and Wells … yes … gimmick … charging for appearance. Some of the “Kluft heritage” is about looking good and impressive on the outside … not so good on the inside … and of course it is the inside that justifies the price … not the outside. When you hear words like “industry leading” or people talking about coil count without talking about all the other “ingredients” of an innerspring or the design of the mattress … its time to run. I’m guessing that the “industry leading” features also are a justification for a price that IMO isn’t justified.

So if you can “lead me to the specs” and the prices I’d love to give you more specific feedback. For now though … I just wouldn’t recommend any of them.

That’s sad about the Renelle and its amazing that they would keep them on the floor but there are certainly other choices in Vancouver. Just to give you a reference point from a recent thread (on the island) in terms of value … these would represent good value (using the same materials as the Novopure and Novotech).

Phoenix